*waves* Greetings, felllow Emberians!

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself *waves* Greetings, felllow Emberians!

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Naiya Dyani 14 hours, 55 minutes ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

So I’ve followed Story Embers for. . .who knows how long, skulking around reading articles, newsletters, and helpful/interesting forum threads, and it’s about time I jumped down from my ninja cat post (however comfy it may be) and actually joined the ranks officially :).

To give you an idea of my weird self, besides writing (or not, as the case may be), I like reading (Wingfeather Saga and other random books), chasing down cats and small children because they’re cute, finding fascinating distractions from my schoolwork (homeschooled!), and laughing at stupid jokes with my mom and sister.

I love reading and writing exciting fantasy books (hence the Wingfeather Saga), but enjoy other genres, too. I also dabble in poetry when the mood strikes.

Can’t wait to (officially) meet you all! (I mean, it feels like I already know some of you from my ninja cat days, but that just sounds creepy, doesn’t it? :P)

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Evelyn
      @evelyn

@naiya-dyani Eyyy. Lots of similar tastes. I’m a homeschooled, I like reading and writing and chasing small children (okay that sounds weird… *coughs*)

But what am I saying? Who knows… you might already know this all about me. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I’m very curious if I am one of the people you knew of through stalking the forms. XD I use to be a lot more active on the main threads so it probably depends on how long ago your ninja cat days were…

And no, I don’t think that’s creepy at all. *coughs* I might have done the same exact thing multiple times…. *cough*

Anyways, welcome to Story Embers (officially)! I’m glad to meet you!

Bethel
      @trufflehunter

@naiya-dyani Greetings and Welcome!

I, completely unlike @evelyn here, haven’t been around a whole lot. But I recently decided that I should be, and so here I am. *Sighs*

I’m pretty sure that everyone here has a certain degree of weirdness, to be honest. I think you have to be weird to be a writer. ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyway, I’m Bethel, and I like (you’re never gonna guess this) writing! And reading. And Horses. Evelyn can confirm that I like horses. I am also homeschooled, (Hence more weirdness.) And my favorite subject is probably math.

Are you writing a story at the moment? If so, what is it about?

Naiya Dyani
      @naiya-dyani

@evelyn Heh heh, there’s no shame in adoring the babies! I do kind of implode when the parents don’t know me, though. I long to befriend the child, but know to the parents I look like some very creepy stranger :D.

I’ve only probably been here for a little over a year, but I feel like Iย might have seen you around some. At the very least, I’ve seen a lot of your fellow Parimi Alcas :)! And I’m sure I’ll enjoy seeing you around more now that I’m *actually* here :D.

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Naiya Dyani
        @naiya-dyani

@trufflehunter Horses are indeed lovely creatures! If my aunt still had hers, I would probably be spending more time around them. Instead, she now has sheep, which are also delightful but not as smart :).

As for my current WIP (*takes a deep breath and hopes she doesn’t make it sound stupid like she usually does*), it’s my favorite mix of fantasy and excitement to write. My MC Grace lives in the country of Aimoni, but when her father dies, she and her (rather stoic and aloof) mother move to the mountainous region of Cresba (name still debatable), where her uncle and cousin live. She befriends her cousin and his two friends. One of them, Kiet (who is my beloved INFP baby), used to be a member of a certain hostile tribe, but due to wild and somewhat traumatic events he now lives in Cresba. Some people in the village don’t take very kindly to him (guilt by association), resulting in craziness that my MC is along for.

I’m planning on making the main themes about revenge and loyalty, so we’ll see where all this goes. I haven’t always been fantastic at themes in the past, but this story lends itself to it fairly well.

Are you two working on any particular projects right now? It’s always fun to see what other people are writing :).

Bethel
          @trufflehunter

@naiya-dyani

Yep! We tend to move around a lot so I haven’t ever been in a good place for horses– not to mention the cost of transporting one. Otherwise I would love to have one. ๐Ÿ˜›

Your WIP sounds neat! And not stupid at all. (And Eyy, INFP. My favorite! XD) ย I struggle with themes as well, ย but I’m sure you can pull it off!

Well, I’m currently *trying* to finish my current stop before NaNoWriMo and frantically prepping for that as well. My main WIP is about an arrogant man *cough* He’s a jerk *cough* and a depressed cat burglar who completely hates him. Meanwhile, this slightly idiotic man accidentally becomes indebted to a gang leader, His brother and sister are looking for him since he ran away from home, And a princsess may or may not be plotting to murder her parents and brother for the throne. *grins* And it’s also about tuna sandwiches. And birds.

And then my NaNoWriMo project will be Historical Fantasy set in WWI.

Naiya Dyani
          @naiya-dyani

@trufflehunter Oh wow. You’ll have to let me read that when you’re done ๐Ÿ˜€ . It sounds like the kind of story both I and my sister would enjoy!

I’m planning on continuing my WIP for NaNoWriMo. And I love INFP characters, too. Almost all my favorite characters are INFP’s, which only sounds narcissistic when you realize I’m an INFP myself. . . ๐Ÿ˜›

Evelyn
            @evelyn

@naiya-dyani Haha neat! Us from the grand land of Parimi Alca are pretty cool. And no of course I’m not biased. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Do you plan to join a writing guild?

Your WIP sounds really cool! I love fantasy. Is that what you normally write in?

Hahaha, I so relate. I have a fear of having to explain my novel’s premises to people. Especially in person. There’s this balance where I have to try to make it actually sound cool but not too interesting so I can change the topic and they won’t ask about it again. XD

I’m curious what books (besides Wingfeather Saga {which is awesome by the way}) that you like. Any other favorites? Do you usually stick to a certain genre?

Naiya Dyani
            @naiya-dyani

@evelyn It would be fun to join a guild! I’d have to make sure I could make the time commitment, but I’ve been wanting to sign up for a while. I can’t say for sure which one I would most want to join (I mean, I do prefer some of the symbols over others, though I’m not going to bring war upon myself by voicing any of my preferences except that Rillumen’s badge is indisputably beautiful :D).

Yes, I’ve been mostly writing fantasy lately, though I have other ideas in genres like historical fiction and modern. My fantasy style hasn’t typically included the dragons-and-magic kinds of worlds (though one story idea of mine includes dragons); they’re usually just set in imaginary worlds with fun (and not-so-fun) people groups and languages. I like languages ๐Ÿ™‚ .

As for other favorite books. . .hmm, hard to pinpoint just a few. I loved A Tale of Two Cities when I read it for school. Oh, and The Speed of Dark was also good (a suggestion I actually got from its being mentioned in an article here!). I’ve always enjoyed Nancy Rue too (especially her Christian Heritage series, especially the Salem years). Ooh ooh ooh and Andrew Clements’ books and Ella Enchanted and The Scarlet Pimpernel . . . but I should stop ๐Ÿ˜€ . As you can probably tell, my interests in reading vary even more widely than my writing interests.

What good books have you read? I’ll need suggestions to distract me from school :P.

Selah
              @selah-chelyah

@naiya-dyani

Welcome! Is your name Hindi, or is it just a penname? It’s beautiful! I love your signature, as well. ๐Ÿ™‚

Oo… I LOVE Ella Enchanted, A Tale of Two Cities, and The Scarlet Pimpernel! Have you read the other books about the Scarlet Pimpernel, or just the first book by that title? Or Fairest, by Gail Carson Levine who wrote Ella? I read a crazy amount all the time (mostly history/his-fic), and it would be way hard to tell you what my fav books are. I have a list of fav authors on my profile page, though, and a Goodreads account with a bunch of favs + what I’ve been reading lately. Lol. Do you use Goodreads?

Assistant Guildmaster of the Awesome Meraki
              ~ Created to create ~

Naiya Dyani
              @naiya-dyani

@selah-chelyah Naiya Dyani was a name I came up with for the forums by digging around in my baby names book until I found something that I liked ๐Ÿ˜€ . Naiya is a Greek name meaning water nymph while Dyani is a Native American name meaning deer. It had the lyrical flavor I like and seek in my character names ๐Ÿ™‚ . Sorry to disappoint! Are you interested in languages too (crosses fingers), or did the name just strike you as having a Hindi flavor?

(My signature, like most of my story ideas, just popped into my head randomly. I was thinking about starting a forum account and I thought “Hey, that would make a good signature!” ๐Ÿ˜€ So yeah. Thanks!)

Now wait. Hold on. THERE ARE OTHER SCARLET PIMPERNEL BOOKS?!?! What are the titles? Are they by Baroness Orczy? Are they as good as the first one? Must. have. answers. ๐Ÿ˜€

And yes, I read Fairest too. Gail Carson Levine is great! I didn’t like Fairest as much as Ella, which I’ve read over several times. Have you read her writing books, Writing Magic and Writer to Writer: From Think to Ink? They’re really good!

I’ve only gone on Goodreads to skim the plot of books I’ve heard others suggest, but I may need to take a closer look at it. Is it free?

(Nice to meet you, by the way!)

Selah
                @selah-chelyah

@naiya-dyani

Languages…oh my, yes I have such a thing with them! Names and languages are certainly huge fascinations of mine. I can never learn enough about them. XD

Yeah, your name sounded Hindi-like, and Google Translate said it was, as well. Tells you how much it knows, I guess. Lol! And I jump whenever I see something that looks Indian (as in INDIAn, lol), cause I love learning about anything and everything related to India.

That’s cool. ๐Ÿ˜€

Yep! There are about a dozen more books by Baroness Emmuska Orczy herself, about the elusive Pimpernel himself. XD ย Here is a link to where I found and printed the books off from…you can click on it and it’ll give you a list of her books that you can use for free, print, whatever: (I love this site!)ย  https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/?query=baroness+orczyย  ย  ย The Bronze Eagle, Beau Brocade, and Unto Caesar are absolutely AMAZING books that she wrote (among others there), favs apart from the Scarlet Pimpernel books. You can check them out. ๐Ÿ™‚

I agree- I didn’t like it as much as Ella Enchanted, but still thought it was good. XD I have not read any other books by her. I’ll have to check those out, though!

Yeah, it is free. I’ve found it helpful, primarily for organization and things like that.

Assistant Guildmaster of the Awesome Meraki
                ~ Created to create ~

Naiya Dyani
                @naiya-dyani

@selah-chelyah *enters INFP sparkle mode* I think we’re going to get along very well! ๐Ÿ˜€

Have you specifically studied the Hindi language? I should check it out sometime. Right now I’m especially interested in Japan/Japanese. I’m at least starting with the Duolingo Japanese course and using the website Wanikani to help me with learning the kanji symbols. Honestly, if my brain hadn’t arbitrarily decided it was interesting, I would probably be terrified of the language, but instead I’m dancing around listening to J-pop (of which I understand maybe one word out of every five hundred) and talking to bugs and my cat in Japanese (and subsequently being frustrated at how little I can say to them). Oh, and avoiding Russian like the plague. Keep that menace away from me. ๐Ÿ˜›

I’m making up a language for my current WIP that has Japanese influences (such as some of the syllables). I wanted to make it look cool, so I made up an alphabet for it ๐Ÿ˜› . When I sent pics to my sister, she basically called me insane and said it looked like a mix of Japanese kanji and Norse runes ๐Ÿ˜€ . And then she followed up by saying after the first glance it actually wasn’t so bad and a lot simpler than some languages’ alphabets (*cough cough thousands of Chinese symbols*). That was kind of my goal–make it look cool, but not hard to figure out for those who want to ๐Ÿ™‚ .

Anyway, enough rambling! I definitely need to check out those other books. Scarlet Pimpernel was one of the best books I’ve read for school (in case you haven’t noticed, I’m a fan of adventure+emotion books ๐Ÿ™‚ ).

Are you working on any particular writing projects at the moment? What genres do you like to write in?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ย readersย answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest