fb

Warning: History Geek and Literature Nerd Ahead :P

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Warning: History Geek and Literature Nerd Ahead :P

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

Well…*pauses awkwardly*

Hello everyone! I’m SeekJustice, usually known as either Seek or Justice. For over a year and a half I’ve been a part of the Kingdom Pen forums and pretty much as soon as Story Embers was launched I signed up. But I’ve never introduced myself here because I’m still active on the KP forums and time (you know, that mythical creature which most of us wonder if it actually exists at all?)

Anyway, let me tell you a bit about myself.

-I hail from the fair land of Australia and you probably think I have an accent. 😛

-I’ve been homeschooled all my life and I’ve technically graduated (because of Aussie laws) but my mother still makes me do schoolwork. I’m in year 12.

-I’m a huge fan of geeky, history stuff. Historical fiction is my favourite genre to read and I like nitpicking Hollywood movies for their historical inaccuracies. (my favourite historical figures, for those who are curious, would be the Wright Brothers, and I find complex figures, like Manfred von Richthofen–the Red Baron–fascinating).

-I also love aviation and flying (hence my love for the Wright Brothers and interest in the Red Baron)

-Obviously, I rather like reading. In fact, you might say it’s an obsession. My favourites include, but are not limited to, The Lord of the Rings, The Lunar Chronicles, Les Miserables, The Scarlet Pimpernel, The Count of Monte Cristo, anything by Michael Morpurgo, anything by Charles Dickens (excepting Oliver Twist, I couldn’t stand that. But A Tale of Two Cities and Little Dorrit are my favourites), and so many more that I wouldn’t have time to list them all.

-I also love writing. I’ve written a large number of novels and novellas, I have an affinity for short stories and I have a number of works in progress. My favourites of these would be the dystopian trilogy I am currently plotting the third book for. These three books are retellings of three of the novels mentioned above, and I love it. Other than that I’m working on a fantasy novel set in a fantastical Australia (because Europe is so mainstream :P) and based on the life of Marie Antoinette. I haven’t started writing this novel yet, but I’m sure it will be an instant bestseller. 😀

-A few other random facts about me:

-I’m a highland dancer

-I like to sing and  I love, love, love musicals, particularly musicals in the vein of Les Mis and The Count of Monte Cristo. I also love German language musicals, but that’s a fairly obscure passion for an Australian.

-I knit and make origami cranes when I get time

-I own four horses

-I’m the oldest of five siblings.

-I like talking about myself.

I’m also an introvert. But you probably wouldn’t be able to tell based solely on my internet interactions.

*insert a cool and non awkward farewell* I can’t wait to meet you all! Um….do we share any interests? Tell me about your WIP!

Mahalo keia huiʻana

Filewriter
    @filewriter

Hi, @seekjustice! Yes, I recognize you from KP. Well… Welcome!

Honestly, I like history, but I’m not what you call a “history geek” sorry to say. Like if you were to ask me what my favorite historical person was or stuff like that. Well… I wouldn’t know how to answer. 🙂

But… I am homeschooled, love reading, and (obviously) writing. 🙂

And… I’m an American. XD

Let’s see. Well, I have a couple WIPs, but my main one is about a girl in a futuristic world. You can read the synopsis on my profile. 😉

Again, welcome!

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@seekjustice

Hello! Around here they call me Wordsmith. I hail from the land of Texas in the USA (and no… I don’t have much of an accent).

I very much enjoy reading, and if you were to ask me my favorite book I would say The Lord of the Rings. Not because it is definitely my favorite, but it’s up there, and probably trumps all. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is a new favorite of mine, and I also really like N.D. Wilson’s fiction work.

I personally am not a history geek, and have never been into historical fiction. I read fantasy, sci-fi (sometimes more slightly futuristic than sci-fi), and a few other genres. My writing is either fantasy or superhero-ish (or a paper on a book I recently read).

When it comes to picking on movies, it usually has to do with story building and moral inconsistencies. I also analyze the action in movies, and have come to the point where action is my favorite part of writing.

I write mostly short stories, though have written one novella, and have a WIP, which I’m being pretty closemouthed about. I would love to share my ideas and plans with it, but… I’m not very far in.

I’m the fifth out of  seven and sixteen years old, in my last year of high school. Archery is an interest of mine, as are most things that involve a weapon.

I also dance… So when you say you’re a highland dancer what does that mean? It sounds really fun.

Oh right! One more thing… I am also an extrovert. Highly extroverted! Which if I’m not wrong, seems to be the minority on SE. Not that that’s a bad thing… just something I believe to have observed.

Published author, reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

NCStokes
    @ncstokes

@seekjustice ‘Ello! Glad to see you! I was not aware you were a fellow history nerd. *scratchy voice* We likses history, doesn’t we, Precious? *weird gollum-y noises* Sorry, I don’t know what that was about. *nervous laughter* I like the late eighteen-hundreds/early nineteen-hundreds the best, followed by the fifties. Do you have a favorite history fact?

*shameless self promotion* https://weridasusual.home.blog/

Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@filewriter Hey there! I remember you as well. Long time no see!

Ah, that’s unfortunate. Maybe I could convince you that history is awesome enough to warrant having a favorite historical figure?

I like the sound of your WIP’s premise. It sounds quite similar to mine 😛

Hello @wordsmith ! Since I’ve been stalking the forums since before they were created, I feel I know a lot about you. I know anyway that you like debating, and so do I, so we should have a debate about something one of these days.

Don’t worry, I pick on movies for all those reasons as well. My family, I’m sure, hates watching movies with me 😀

Highland dancing is a form of Scottish dancing, so I dance with the swords and kilts and bagpipes, etc. It’s a lot of fun and I’ve been doing it for over a decade now. What sort of dance do you do?

My brother does archery! I’ve always wanted to, but never have got into it, beyond doing it every now and then. Still I can speak with more authority on the subject than some published fantasy authors.

@ncstokes

Hello, my friend!

Well I wasn’t aware that you liked history for that matter either!

Don’t worry about the Gollum noises, I do them a the time and it elicits a mixed response of fear and amusement from my family and acquaintances.

I love the 1900s too, particularly the time leading up to the First World War. As for a favourite historical fact…here’s a morbid one:

The life expectancy of a WW1 pilot was between 2-6 weeks, depending on how fortunate they were.

On that cheeful note, I’ll disappear.

Mahalo keia huiʻana

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@seekjustice

I’d love to debate with you some day! *wonders how many people say that and mean it in the nicest kind of way* I do!

I do a mix of ballroom and contra dancing.

And yes! Archery is amazing, and sometimes annoyingly portrayed in fantasy.

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

And about the highland dancing, I think I’ve seen it before, and have friends that have done it before. Is it something that guys do anymore?

Filewriter
    @filewriter

@seekjustice, Well, there are a lot of historical characters that I like, but I don’t know if I have a favorite. Honestly, I’m not that good at history. In school, I mean. 🙂 Oh, have you ever read The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom?

Why thank you. 😇 There is a lot more to the story, and I didn’t really do a good job on the synopsis, but I tried. 😉

Oh, you and @wordsmith both dance. That’s really cool! I know like nothing about dancing, but I like to watch it.

So… I’ll be waiting for my show of dancing writers. XD

Have you ever gotten to use that knowledge in your stories? I mean, I guess dancing isn’t that rare of a hobby, I just don’t think I know anyone else who likes to dance and has taken classes, so I find it interesting.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@filewriter

I could use it in a story… But have not yet.

Catwing
    @catwing

@seekjustice Greetings my friend. I see you have arrived. Many welcomes and hello to you and your cranes! *waves paw crazily* Yep, I’m on here. *grins…*

@NCstokes
    Hello! I remember you from KP. How’s Reggie? *throws feathers* 😀

When your wings are weak and you feel like you can't fly any farther you're halfway there!

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@seekjustice

YOU’RE HERE!!!!!

"A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."

- C. S. Lewis

Sageinthemeadow
    @sageinthemeadow

@seekjustice Hey, welcome aboard! Glad to have some familiar faces around. :]

Ooo, paper cranes? I’ve always wanted to learn how to make those, but they look so complicated! ;p

https://sageinthemeadow.wordpress.com

ScarletImmortalized
    @scarletimmortalized

@seekjustice

Aah! There are so many things that we both like!!

First the books…love love LotR…and Les Mis (its rare to find a brick reader) and the Count Of Monte Cristo 😍! I read A Tale of Two Cities a lot as a small child and frightened adults 😂.

Musicals….there is a Count of Monte Cristo musical???? How did I not knowwww???

History 😍 words can’t describe how much I love history. Have you heard of G.A. Henty? I LOVE THE RED BARON TOO!!!! I also really love WW1 and WW2!

“Scarlet, What are you eating?” ~ “Ghost peppers...” ~ Robin sighed.

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@seekjustice

Hey, now we just need to get Rochellaine to come over here. Unless she’s already here… *squints around suspiciously*

And I’m Sarah Anson from on KP, in case you haven’t guessed by now. 😉

"A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."

- C. S. Lewis

Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@wordsmith

I looked up contra dancing and it seems very similar to the Irish country dancing I did last year.

Highland is definitely something guys do and its traditionally a male type of dance but most of the competitors now are girls.

Farewell…at least until we debate.

Mahalo keia huiʻana

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest