fb

Warning: graphic/mature topic ahead

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Warning: graphic/mature topic ahead

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Liana J. Douglas
    @lianajdouglas

Hey, there. I’ve got a question. I’m currently working on a story that revolves around the staged suicide of a character. She believes that staging it is the only way to get people to see the truth.

But it’s brought up a question: how does a person stage their own suicide… without help from anyone else? Is this even possible?

Artist. Actress. Fantasy Fiction. MBTI Nerd. Star Wars. Marvel Films. Piano. Jesus Freak.

Liana J. Douglas
    @lianajdouglas

Also, just as a disclaimer: this is a contemporary fiction story. Which makes it harder. Sigh

Artist. Actress. Fantasy Fiction. MBTI Nerd. Star Wars. Marvel Films. Piano. Jesus Freak.

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@lianajdouglas I feel like with live streaming being a thing, this wouldn’t be terribly difficult to do? I’ve seen numerous mentions of people committing suicide or murder over Facebook Live over the past couple years on the news.

I guess I don’t really know what you’re aiming for here.

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

Liana J. Douglas
    @lianajdouglas

Here, I’ll try to give some background.

So there’s this girl named Erin that notices how self-centered everyone is around her, and how no one seems to care about anyone else… at all. And she feels that she needs to do something drastic to fix it. So she tries to stage her own suicide. But the thing is, it’s supposed to impact the people closest to her. So it wouldn’t work to do it over a video or something. Like, a family member walks in and thinks she’s actually dead.

Shrugs  I’m struggling with it being like, realistic, (As in, someone could go up to her and check her pulse or something and not get anything) while she’s still really alive.

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@lianajdouglas

What if she left a note saying that she was going to drown herself? And then like threw her clothes in a river or something?

"You can dance with my henchman."

Liana J. Douglas
    @lianajdouglas

@kari-karast

…I suppose that could work.

Shrug I’m still mulling it over.

Edmund Lloyd Fletcher
    @edmund-lloyd-fletcher

Maybe she is into Hollywood special effects and somehow got a hold of a prop gun, “squibs” and so on, to make it look like she shot herself?

Or maybe she’s secretly been drawing her own blood over the last few months.  When they find a knife, a HUGE amount of blood (that all matches her DNA) and tracks leading off into the woods they are pretty convinced she’s died somewhere and been eaten by animals — because “who could live through that?” right?

Homeschooling father of 10, writing Christian action/adventure novels from my home high in the Rockies.

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@lianajdouglas For set up, she could do it at her birthday party.

😀
    👕👍
    👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Catwing
    @catwing

@lianajdouglas *unvanishes* This sounds like an interesting challenge. Contemporary fiction and solo operation. I think it would be possible. The trick is figuring out how. 😉
    A few questions.
    1. How many people does she want to effect with her suicide? If she wants to effect a good number of people she could schedule it during something big where they will see it.
    2. How long does she want to stay dead?
    3. Where does she live? (This could be generally. Like is the area really dense city/urban or is it more spread out?
    4. Any jobs of family or friends of interest? (medical, film, law enforcement, etc.. This could create an opportunity for her to get certain resources.)
    5. Does she want to monitor their reactions?
    6. Does she want to leave a note or make a speech?
    7. Allergies?
    8. How old is she?
    9. Is she an Introvert or Extrovert?
    10. Is she tech-savvy?
    11. If she is school age, is it during the school year? Is she home, public, or private schooled?
    12. Does it have to be suicide or can it be murder?
    13. How is she with needles? What about blood?
    14. Is there an ocean nearby?
    15. Does she want to do it in front of them?

One easy way to make it so that someone can’t get your pulse is to put a ball in your armpit. It slows the circulation and when someone tries to take your pulse they can’t detect anything. (I learned that from watching Sherlock. But I tested it and yes it does work. If they take a long enough time they might feel one pulse(but that might have been me raising my pulse by laughing…), but they would probably think it was their imagination and think her dead. I tested it with my mom (who knew I was definitely alive. Don’t worry I didn’t fake my death. XP))
    Or if she got a certain medicine that slows your heart beat. This would be a good bit harder though since hospitals keep inventory.

@kari-karast
    Then they would find her clothes, but no body. Which doesn’t make sense that they would be separate if she drowned.

@edmund-lloyd-fletcher
    Maybe. If she could get it.

I don’t know about the blood one though… She would need somewhere to store it. Like an IV bag. She could probably look up how to get the vein. The trouble is getting the needles, tube, bag, and maybe cleaning swabs (to avoid infection). I’m not sure how else she would draw and keep blood. Unless one of her relatives is diabetic or has something that they have a bunch of needles. She could maybe draw blood with those. But it would make her a bit sore. And she would have to NOT inject herself with nothing(it’s not nothing it’s air). That would KILL her for real. o.o That probably wouldn’t happen, but now you know.

That scenario would be a murder (at least suspected). Because knife, blood, no body. Maybe animals dragging the body away is a possibility. But I’m not sure about it… You would need a blood trail too.

If fake murder is an option. She could heavily bleach an area. ???

When your wings are weak and you feel like you can't fly any farther you're halfway there!

Liana J. Douglas
    @lianajdouglas

Ooh, hey, this is helpful. Thanks, @catwing

1. How many people does she want to effect with her suicide? If she wants to effect a good number of people she could schedule it during something big where they will see it.

She’s basically trying to show her youth group what happens if no one cares about each other. Because that is what her youth group has been doing. Not caring, that is.
    2. How long does she want to stay dead?

Hm. I’d say maybe a week or two. It needs to make an impact- for it to sorta sink in that she is “actually dead”. Could possibly even go through with a funeral…?
    3. Where does she live? (This could be generally. Like is the area really dense city/urban or is it more spread out?

Haven’t decided this yet. I’m still trying to figure out how best to do the suicide before I choose these details so I have more options.
    4. Any jobs of family or friends of interest? (medical, film, law enforcement, etc.. This could create an opportunity for her to get certain resources.)

She’s got a brother who is a policeman and he’s engaged to a reporter. One of her parents could possibly be a nurse. Still considering. (Also, it might be fine for her brother to find out that she staged it… if she can convince him to help her. But he’d have to find out after it happened.)
    5. Does she want to monitor their reactions?

Yes, definitely.
    6. Does she want to leave a note or make a speech?

She could if it would help to show that she really did “die”. But it’s not super important that she does or doesn’t.
    7. Allergies?

Possibly. Haven’t thought about it.
    8. How old is she?

Fourteen years old. This is a story about her youth group, but I don’t want her to be graduating too soon.
    9. Is she an Introvert or Extrovert?

Extrovert, probably. I want there to be a contrast between her before doing this and after doing it… showing her suddenly becoming very withdrawn and secluded.
    10. Is she tech-savvy?

Possibly. Again… haven’t really thought about all of the details yet.
    11. If she is school age, is it during the school year? Is she home, public, or private schooled?

Yes, during the school year. I need the youth group to be pretty big… they tend to fluctuate in size during the summer because people have vacations and stuff.
    12. Does it have to be suicide or can it be murder?

Yes, it needs to be suicide. She’s trying to show others how their selfishness and pride can affect people besides themselves.
    13. How is she with needles? What about blood?

Needles are probably fine, as is blood. Not a huge factor here.
    14. Is there an ocean nearby?

Uuh… haven’t exactly pinpointed the location yet, but probably not. I live in the Midwest, so she probably will too.
    15. Does she want to do it in front of them?

No, it doesn’t have to be live. It would be fine if someone just walked in to find her there.

@edmund-lloyd-fletcher

Hm, I suppose the “drawing blood” idea has something to it, but I really need it to look like a suicide, and not like she might have just gotten attacked by something. And then there’s the problem of storing all of it and safely drawing it… I dunno. Shrug

@daeus-lamb

Oh, dear. That would be pretty crazy. XD But as I said, it doesn’t really have to be a live thing. It might work better if it isn’t, actually. She’s trying to get people to think about their decisions and their actions… not terrorize them for eternity. Laugh

Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien

@lianajdouglas – Okay, so a few things. For one, there are drugs you can take that put a person into a ‘dead’ state, basically a coma, and then they revive later. Such as a pufferfish/treefrog poison drug. But… that’s not readily available to most people. You’d have to do research about readily available to teens stuff. Or illegally available, but then you get into the question of how she gets it.

Anyways, one thing I wanted to say was that if you want her family to see her ‘dead’ body, then it’s going to be very, very, very, very tricky with keeping up the illusion of staying dead. Because her family would likely call 911, even if they thoughts she was dead, paramedics would come, and figure out that she’s not dead, etc. Doing something like a suicide note and throwing her clothes in the river as @kari-karast suggested would be ‘easier’ in the world of pretend suicides.

Another note, if she does something like writes a note, throws clothes in the river, and disappears, that’s not going to be the end of the story. Police won’t find the clothes and then that’s the end. They will look for her body if they don’t find it with the clothes, at least for a day, so she’s going to need to be very well hidden for a while.

And… that’s all I wanted to say.

I'm short, I like words, and I love people.
    No, I didn't draw my profile pic.

Liana J. Douglas
    @lianajdouglas

@anne-of-lothlorien

Hey, thanks! I know, I considered something like that, but I had the same thoughts… where on earth would someone find something like that?? XD I’m struggling so much here because there are so many factors that I know will prevent this from happening like it should and I don’t know how to get around them.

You know how they say, “make your character go through the worst possible stuff so that it seems absolutely impossible that they will ever get out”? Well, I tried it. And now it’s impossible to get them out. XD

Okay, so like the only thing I could think of for that would be having her live in a smaller town and having a friend/family member be the paramedic/police/whatever person ends up in the role that needs to be there. But it’d have to be a person willing to continue her plan after that. Shrug which is also tricky.

Also, back to the point someone made already (sorry, don’t remember who it was…) why would someone lose their clothes in the river? It seems pretty hard to find a set of clothes without finding the body itself. I dunno.

Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien

@lianajdouglas – Having a friend would be tricky… I don’t think you’re going for Tom and Huck wanting to see their own funerals here. Having someone help her in her deception would then raise an ethical dilemma for that person, if they’re willing to lie for the ‘greater good’ of helping her family and friends realize whatever your point was, or if they can’t lie to a grieving parents and tell them their daughter is dead.

Okay, not like throw your full set of clothes in the river. Like, a jacket torn and snagged on a tree overhanging it, or something. Like the classic movie set up of a fake suicide that a fourteen year old might have seen and emulated. She’s not going to plan the perfect suicide here, realistically.

Liana J. Douglas
    @lianajdouglas

@anne-of-lothlorien- Yeah, that was my problem. Though for a while I was considering a funeral that she actually attended… in the casket. But yeah, it’s super tricky. XD This is hopeless.

Yeah, I get what you mean. But then, just a jacket wouldn’t lead people to believe that she was really dead… they’d have hope that she might have survived. Sigh  I should probably just either give up on this idea or plan it for a different time period.

Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien

@lianajdouglas A jacket might if it was in combination with a suicide note that had expressed she was going to drown herself.

Yeah… different era was so much easier for faking deaths. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest