Wanna talk Lord of the Rings, anyone?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Wanna talk Lord of the Rings, anyone?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Arindown
    @arindown

I know this isn’t exactly a “writing” topic, but since Lord of the Rings is one of the best stories ever written, and arguably the best film trilogy ever produced, I think it fits into writers talk.

I have a few questions to ask (just to get opinions), but don’t be afraid to ask your own, or to gush about that one scene in the movie.😄

Question 1. What is your favorite scene from LoTR in either the book or the movie? Why does it speak to you?

Question 2 (for movie-watchers only). What do you think of Frodo? I find that people who see the movie either love him, hate him, or couldn’t care less.

Question 3. (again, this is from the movie) What’s your thoughts on the scene where Boromir tries to take the ring, and then dies fighting orcs?

Forgiven. Loved. Creative.

R.M. Archer
      @r-m-archer

1. There are so many good scenes! I love the moment when Sam throws an apple at Bill Ferny’s head in Fellowship of the Ring for its comedic effect (especially since I could clearly picture Sean Astin as Sam in that scene). I love the scene in The Scouring of the Shire where Sam is talking to Robin, the Hobbit sheriff, about the mess that has been made of the Shire and they have this exchange:

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.”
      “Can’t say as I’d be sorry to see it,” said Robin lowering his voice. “If we all got angry together something might be done.”

I love the scene in the movies where Arwen comes back to Rivendell and she and Elrond talk about whether there is despair or hope in her future (“I looked into your future and saw death.” “But there is life also.”). I love all of the Many Partings in the books. I love Eowyn and Merry’s showdown with the Witch King (both the book and the movie). I guess I should stop listing things. XD There are just so many good moments. What are some of your favorites?

2. Eh. I’m kind of in the couldn’t-care-less camp, I suppose. He does have his moments, though (like his encounter with Aragorn at Amon Hen, just before the Uruks attack).

3. I like it. I think it does a good job of showing the ring’s influence, but then also Boromir’s Gondorian nobility and how he attempts to “atone” for his mistake. (I just re-read the books, but I’ve already forgotten how that scene/Boromir’s character lines up with the books, so I can’t say how it holds up in light of Tolkien. :P)

I have a question of my own: If you’ve both read the books and seen the movie, what is a chapter/scene/character/etc. you wish they’d been able to include in the movies but didn’t?

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Arindown
      @arindown

@r-m-archer

Ahh…those are some good moments. My favorites have to include Gandalf and the Bullrog, Aragorn and Legolas’s argument in Helm’s Deep, every scene with the Rohirrim in it (the horses😄), and Boromir’s death (not because of Boromir…because of how awesome Aragorn is).

I’m afraid (or rather, proud) I’m on the Frodo fan side of things. His innocence gets me every time, although I do understand how people get tired of him.

Oh, it’s been too long since I’ve read the books, but I’d have to say I miss Tom Bombadil. I also haven’t seen the extended version of the movie, so I don’t know what other things they missed. The singing of Bilbo’s “Hey Diddle-Diddle” remix at the Green Dragon would have been a lot of fun also. What about you?

R.M. Archer
        @r-m-archer

@arindown Ooh, also good moments. (Especially Aragorn and Legolas’s argument.)

Ooh, both of those are good! I ended up with a whole list on this last read-through, lol (including Tom Bombadil), but I think The Scouring of the Shire is tops on the list. It showed just how far the darkness had spread, it had some great themes, and it allowed the hobbits to really display the culmination of their character growth. They weren’t just common hobbits anymore, they’d all become strong leaders, and I feel like that’s especially missed with Pippin and with Frodo in the movies. I think fewer people would fail to appreciate Frodo if they got to see Scouring of the Shire Frodo, lol.

Arindown
        @arindown

@r-m-archer

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Scouring of the Shire. That is a good part. Even if the movie had just kept part of it…😉 Yeah, I hope people would appreciate dear old Frodo more (apparently Frodo and I have the same personality, so I think I “get” him a bit more than other people).

Have you read any of Tolkien’s other Middle Earth books? I haven’t yet, although I’m planning to (just to keep up with my 10 year-old friend who’s always spouting information from Tolkien’s other works😄).

R.M. Archer
          @r-m-archer

@arindown I’ve read The Silmarillion, although it was difficult to get through and I don’t remember most of it now, lol. That’s the only one. ;P I think my dad has all three of the new books, but I haven’t read them yet.

LydiaJoy
          @lydiajoy

Lord of the Rings is one of the best stories ever written, and arguably the best film trilogy ever produced, I think it fits into writers talk

@arindown
            , I wholeheartedly agree!

1. Favorite scene: Oooh, this is hard! In the movie, I love the interaction between Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli as they search for Pippin and Merry. But Helm’s Deep is great, too. It’s all good, really.

[Slightly unrelated, but I was disappointed that they didn’t include the scene in the Hobbit where Gandalf makes up this elaborate story to get all the dwarves into Beorn’s house.]

2. Frodo?: I fit best in the couldn’t-care-less category. I think I like him better in the books and first movie than in the last 2 movies. He seems so discouraged and bleak in those 2. It’s kinda . . . depressing or something.

3. Boromir?: He isn’t my favorite character at all, but I see his bravery when he dies trying to save Pippin and Merry as a good thing. It was pointless in the end, honestly, but he tried. I feel like he’s almost a foil character for Aragorn when Boromir tries to take the ring but Aragorn doesn’t.

Have you read any of Tolkien’s other Middle Earth books?

Only Farmer Giles of Ham and Smith of Wooton Major if those count. 🙂 I found the Silmarillion a bit difficult and confusing when I tried it a few years ago, but I may need to try again sometime.

Do you have a favorite LOTR character?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest