fb

*waltzes in wearing glass slippers*

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself *waltzes in wearing glass slippers*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Gabrielle
    @gabrielle

Hello everybody!

First off, let me say that I am THRILLED to be here and meet you all. I’m so thankful to find a community of dedicated Christian writers to write with! I found Story Embers through Kingdom Pen, which I only just recently discovered thanks to the advice of K.M. Weiland.

Who I am: I’m Gabrielle, a homeschool graduate, voracious reader, and lover of all things creative. I blog at Word Play (gabriellenblog.wordpress.com) and The Story Sanctuary (thestorysanctuary.org), focusing mostly on reviews of young adult books. I’m an ENFP/TP, with a passion for books (of course!) and coffee. My favorite reading material includes Jane Eyre, The Count of Monte Cristo, The Lunar Chronicles, Fitzgerald’s short stories, and all sorts of fairytale retellings.

My writing: I wrote, illustrated and self-published a picture book in high school, which was mostly to prove I could. I also wrote one novel in high school, which I queried without success. I did have interest, but was told repeatedly that though I have talent and that the idea shows promise, I need to work on my writing more. Since then, I’ve taken a college-level Intro to Creative Writing Class, where I branched out with short stories, poetry, and creative nonfiction. (Fun fact: I discovered I love writing horror/thriller stories–think Twilight Zone-esque–even though I scared myself writing the first one. Lol.) My current WIP is a magical realism/parallel universe YA novel with a tentative theme of where you find your worth and what home really means. I’m hoping to learn and grow as a writer through classes, practice, and community. My dream is to eventually become a published author, and maybe open up my own literary-themed coffee shop one day. 😉

Since I’m just finishing up my first year at uni, I’m not sure how much I’ll be able to contribute until summer. But rest assured, I am so excited to be a part of this community, and I can’t wait to learn and grow with all of the rest of you wonderful word addicts! Thanks for letting me ramble, and I’ll see you around soon!

Avenser and word addict. Full of sugar, spice, and snarkasm.
    gabriellenblog.wordpress.com

Gabrielle
    @gabrielle

Oops, and I forgot to mention that for those of you who are into social media, you can connect with me on Twitter, Goodreads, and the Go Teen Writers FB Group. Thanks!

Elizabeth
    @elizabeth

ooh, now we have two Gabrielles! It’s a good thing your tags are different, lol.

Wow! You sound like a cool person. 😉

What’s the premise of your novel, and what genre is it in?

INTP. Writer of fantasy and sci-fi. Wannabe artist. Anime geek. Merakian.

Brianna Storm Hilvety
    @briannastorm

@gabrielle We’re equally thrilled to have you here! 🙂

You mentioned that you illustrated a picture book, so I would guess that means you dabble in art. 😉 We have an art department here where we feature art pieces from subscribers. I hope you will consider submitting something. I know @christieaton would love to see it!

Stories, poems, and articles are of course welcome as well. 🙂 Josiah and I love working with new content.

Grace Livingston
    @gracelivingston

Welcome to Story Embers, @Gabrielle! 🙂

"I'd like to add some beauty to life," said Anne dreamily.

Gabrielle
    @gabrielle

@elizabeth—Thanks! I’m excited to be a part of this cool community. 😉 I know, I was surprised to find that one of the mods shares my name—that sure doesn’t happen too often! Hopefully it won’t be too confusing. 🙂

The novel I wrote in highschool is like an adventure novel—a fictional setting, with a historical feel. The tag line I went with for it is “Cinderella meets the French Revolution.” I’m hoping to one of these days rewrite it and try again to get it published. For right now, I’m working on a different novel that’s been begging me to write it for months. I’ve gotten a few chapters done, but I’m mostly waiting for summer to really get started on it. How about you? Are you working on any projects right now?

@briannastorm
    —Thanks for having me! Yes, I love art. I’ve been checking out some of the art discussions in the forum, and I’m hoping to post some recent projects for feedback soon. Are you an artist as well?

@gracelivingston
    —Thank you! I’m glad to be here. 🙂

Elizabeth
    @elizabeth

I am! I have a novel in the works–though I’m outlining it, at the moment–and a short story–which is also being developed–but both are going slowly, since I’m also in college, and I work… @gabrielle

Gabrielle
    @gabrielle

@elizabeth—Same. Summer can’t come soon enough! Do you mind if I ask what you’re studying? I’m a business major, and I work as a barista on the side. Thus the dream of owning my own coffee shop! XD Books are still my main passion though, and I’m hoping to work in the publishing industry somehow. We’ll see where God leads—it’s always an adventure, amirite?

Elizabeth
    @elizabeth

I’m actually still working for my AA, but I hope to pursue a degree in Creative Writing in a year or so! @gabrielle

Gabrielle
    @gabrielle

Very cool! I’m hoping to at least take creative writing classes on the side, if not a full-on minor. @elizabeth

Elizabeth
    @elizabeth

Yeah! I’m excited.

Brianna Storm Hilvety
    @briannastorm

@gabrielle Aside from being a graphic designer, I don’t do anything remotely artistic. I’m not at all good with drawing or painting. 😛 I’m a professional editor, so my heart is in helping others improve their work. 🙂 But I have several friends who are artists, and I admire their ability to create visual stories on paper.

Sam Kowal
    @sam-kowal

@gabrielle 😀 Welcome to Embers! I’ve only tries writing short snippets of some kind of fantasy/horror cross, but it’s great fun 😀 I like making things frightening things

*nom, nom, nom* *eats donuts*
    Oh, are you hungry? *begins weeping*
    I would have saved you one!

Gabrielle
    @gabrielle

@briannastorm –Neat! And we writers sure appreciate our editor friends. 😉

@sam-kowal
    –Thanks! I think so too. Most of my pins on my writing ideas board on Pinterest consist of regional gothic prompts for all sorts of creepy stories. I think it’d be fun to do an anthology one day.

Violet
    @pookiemonster

Welcome to Embers!  @gabrielle  Your WIP sounds really interesting. 🙂

Just remember to... Trust in God, Stay Safe, and Eat Doughnuts 🍩🍩

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest