fb

Villain/Antagonist Development Questions

Forums Fiction Characters Villain/Antagonist Development Questions

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Zee
    @zee

Wow, that is a lot of great questions. A LOT! I should probably answer at least a few of them. I’d be very impressed with anyone who has enough depth/backstory to their character to answer them all.

But here are five, chosen more or less at random, for Sanjit. I’m not sure he even deserves to be called a villain. At the moment, he’s essentially an opportunistic thug. Hopefully this helps to breathe some more life into him.

1. Where did you grow up?

I grew up on my father’s cattle farm in the Fen valley. It’s a beautiful place. The Leva river is almost a mile wide there, and in the spring, when it floods, it would sometimes come halfway to our barns. We’d almost always have some cows washed away, every spring.

7. Who has hurt you? In what way were you hurt? How did you/are you dealing with it?

What kind of question is that? Nobody hurts me. Nobody. I’m good.

22. What line will you never cross?

People say I’m dirty, and they’re not talking about the cow piles. But I’ve got my standards. There’s things I wouldn’t do. Just not sure what they are yet.

38. Do you believe what you’re doing is right? Why?

Yes, it’s right because…yes. People are stuck, I help them out. Lots of sad, lonely people right now. I fix that.

44. If you know you are caught. Your mission/cause is lost… What will you do?

Keep my head down. Smile. Come up with a new one.

48. If your home was destroyed and you could save only one thing, what would it be?

(rolls his eyes) My money. Nothing you can’t replace if you don’t have money. And my grandfather’s silver jewelry, I suppose. By “home” you must mean my car.

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Thanks for sharing @anne-of-lothlorien @zee!

P.S. Mrs. Zee, I’m so sorry I haven’t gotten to your book! Hopefully soon. 🙁

I’d be very impressed with anyone who has enough depth/backstory to their character to answer them all.

P.P.S.S. I see that as a challenge. I will answer all the questions…. (:

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Kimmi.

Jominkreesa

Passion = A Willingness To Suffer

Brooke
    @wingiby-iggiby

@anne-of-lothlorien

Ooo! Blanke’s story sounds awesome! It’s so sweet how above everything else he wants to protect his daughter.

I light the arrow, pull the bow,
    Shoot that fire right through my soul.

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

14. Who do you not like?

“Basically anyone. Myself included. It takes a lifting of my lip, to make me like someone. I need to get a happy ‘jump in my chest’ when I see them living their lives.

But I don’t need to like someone to have an interest in their future. My wife’s children, for an example. I will pay them all through college, but only if they apply themselves. I give them whatever Ruby sees fit to give.

I don’t want them all to die. I don’t want them to end up with felonies or rotting in prison. I don’t care for them…but, I wish them to have a good future. To succeed in whatever path they choose. To have a good name, if nothing else, though maybe living in a gutter.”

*Mind twisting…realizing his philosophy makes little sense to most.*

“I am starting to like Ruby, maybe. But, she is mainly a responsibility. A promise to fulfill. I usually do not regret our marriage. I care about her and the children we’ve born, for the sake it is my responsibility to do so.”

15. Do you have a pet? What kind?

“A pet? No. I suppose some of the children have animals… I just don’t know any of their names.

When I lived with Jason there was a small, beige dog. Very bouncy, and smiley. I acted like I didn’t like him then.” *Regret* “But I do now.” *Shakes his head,* The foolishness of youth!!

“I am glad I don’t have to deal with the children and teens in my care. There would be too much pain and unruly emotions for the return. Or, better yet, the leaving and rejection that would follow.”

16. What hobbies do you have?

“Hobbies? Oh my. I like reading. A lot. About almost anything. But philosophical books and religious material are the most read. Almost all of it is hopeless drivel in the hopelessness. Makes one wonder if there is any point to life? Still, I hold onto the possibility that there is a God, and do my best in life not to offend Him.

I spend time with Ruby as well. during almost all the time I’m not working, (which isn’t very much to tell the truth). One of the few conditions of our marriage was that she would always be available to me when I wanted her. She is worth every drop of sweat. Her company is good. Except for when she nags me to pay more attention to the throng of children.

I silence such quickly, you know. It was also part of the agreement. We could have as many children as she wanted. I would provide them whatever needs and wants they had. I just wouldn’t be a part of their lives, for I didn’t and never would have time or the love for children.”

Jominkreesa

Brooke
    @wingiby-iggiby

@zee

Sanjit sounds like a unique villain, even if he’s not really a villain! It’s interesting that he wants to help people. And that nobody hurt him; that seems like a key figure in lots of villains motives.

And yeah, there are a lot of questions! I’m going to have to contemplate hard to answer them.

Brooke
    @wingiby-iggiby

@kimlikesart

Your guy’s relationship with Ruby and his kids is interesting! Just wanted to say that 😀

Zee
    @zee

Well, @wingiby-iggiby I was answering the questions from Sanjit’s perspective. Somebody else might have a completely different take on him…

That would be an interesting exercise, too. How does this character see himself vs. How do others see him?

Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

Ooh, this seems really awesome and helpful! Do you guys mind if I join?

"I threw stones at the stars, but the whole sky fell."

Brooke
    @wingiby-iggiby

@zee

Oh yes, I see that! I forgot, lol, that this is about our villains and themselves. Villains often don’t see themselves as evil.

And yeah! That is a great idea! I never thought of it; that is the reason I love coming on here and discussing things with you folks. 😉

@mischievous-thwapling

Yeah, you can join! I’d love to hear about your villain 😀

Brooke
    @wingiby-iggiby

(Ok, so here he is. I’m going through all of the questions to really stretch myself, and since some of them cover the same territory, I hope I don’t sound like a broken record. I’ll probably go back to modify and stuff, but this is it. Arthur’s my first villain, really, so he’s probably the classic stereotype. If y’all have any suggestions at all, I’d be eternally grateful 😉  Also, when I say “I” in italics, I’m refering to myself as I’m the one interviewing him.)

1. Where did you grow up?

RedRock, our spring/summer palace and the Palace Hybern in Auboron. Oh, you want continent? *rolls eyes* Well don’t be stupid! Rondona! I’m not a wild savage.

2. Who took care of you, if anyone?

*sigh, runs hand through hair* Mother, at first. Then she died. Father, a little bit. Not so much. He was king, you know; and kings have little time for fun and frivolity. He spent more time with Philip anyhow. *flinches* Ona took care of me a lot though. She was my nursemaid from the time I was born and until I turned fourteen. She always cared and loved me, helping me through small and irrelevant trials. *small smile and shrug*

3. Were you ever loved as a child? If so, by whom?

Mother. But like I said, she died. *withering look in my direction* Father, I don’t think so. He didn’t hate me, and he liked me, but I don’t think he loved me. There’s a difference. Philip, I don’t know. Maybe at some time. Ona loved me.

4. As a child did you ever love someone? If so, who?

Ona. *has look on his face that shows I’m dumb and this is obvious* I loved her like my life was hung on hers.

5. Who acted as mentor for you? Did you ever have one?

Ona, and father too. *Tired look on his face* I suppose he tried to be a father; I don’t know. But I looked up to him as a great man, even if I didn’t like him. He was an example worthy of attention, a man to try to model yourself after.

6. How many people have you ever trusted? What was the result of that trust?(Explain for each person.)

Mother. Then she died, and to my young heart it was as if she betrayed me. *shakes head as if trying to clear it, then glances at me, as if angry I keep bringing it up.*

Father, I trusted him, but not with my heart. I trusted him not to hurt me, and not to share a secret, like that. But I couldn’t pour my soul out to him. I trusted him as a person not to stab you in the back when you turned around.

Philip, maybe. Not really. And he never seemed to notice me, especially when we got older.

Ona, I loved her and trusted her with my life. *sighs, tired of this* She never did anything to make me regret loving her, but I’ve learned that if you love someone, most likely they’ll let you down or die. Love is something that holds you back, keeps you from being who you could be.

Love is an unnecessary tie to pain.

7. Who has hurt you? In what way were you hurt? How did you/are you dealing with it?

Philip. He’s the one who hurt me most. Philip. We were as close as brothers could be. We argued, sure, but we loved each other. And then we grew older. He started not paying much attention to me; he looked down on me, he didn’t think I was capable of ruling with him. Philip despised me. He shunned me. He belittled me, he made me look like a fool.

How am I dealing with it? I’m trying to prove to myself who I am, what I can do, and to prove to him that I am something. I am not a pesky little kid. I am someone capable of greatness.

8. Is there anyone who you currently love?

Ah, the question of the year. *scoffs*  Who do I love?

At the moment, no. I have no one to love, and no one to love me. *Pauses before going on*

But, uh, I loved once. *smiles nervously and clasps his hands* Hannah-lee. Yeah, that girl was a beam straight from the sun. I thought she was a godsend. She came that morning with the vegetables, and I greeted her at the door. She smiled at me. *gets excited and starts talking faster*

I thought she loved me, and I think she really did. But Philip intervened. He wanted her, and he wouldn’t let me have her. I don’t think she loved him. But it isn’t like Philip to give people their own say in things.

And so I lost my love, and that was one of the greatest insults Philip ever hurled in my face. *glowers and looks at me as if I was the one who did it*

But I still loved her, and then she was killed when the Mongrels attacked. I gave them explicit commands not to — why am I telling you this? GET OUT OF MY SIGHT! *Gets up out of his seat and jabs a finger in my chest*

(30 minutes later)

9. Is there anyone who you currently need? How do you feel about needing to rely on someone?

Aren’t you the one to stick needles in people. No. There is no one I need. I’m capable of taking care of myself, of making my own decisions, of being great. Relying on people weakens you. They will fail you, and only set you back. You need to be able to stand on your own, to walk on your own, and to run on your own.

10. Do you have any friends?

Besides advisors and men I hypnotized? Nah. And those advisors, I use them as walking dictionaries. Battle strategists, men to use as information. That is all they are really useful for.

I’m by myself.

11. Do you desire to protect anyone?

I obviously want to preserve myself for as long as possible. But if I had to, if Hannah-lee was still aliv *voice cracks slightly, but quickly remedies it* she would be my all. That sweet girl.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Brooke.

Brooke
    @wingiby-iggiby

I hope that wasn’t too long and I didn’t bore you to death!

Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

@wingiby-iggiby

Thank you! I’ll get started as soon as I can.

Arthur’s my first villain, really, so he’s probably the classic stereotype

Don’t worry about it, I’m really trying to work on my villain, too, so I get it (mine’s also my first villain) 😉 If I have any suggestions, I’ll totally tell you them!

And it wasn’t boring AT ALL! I love reading your guy’s answers to the questions… I’ve read all of them  and they’re so interesting. (I’ve actually re-read some. I don’t know quite why.  I think to get a better understanding of y’all’s villains.)

"I threw stones at the stars, but the whole sky fell."

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

<p style=”text-align: left;”>@wingiby-iggiby</p>

Could you post how he got them?

Question 61. (Scars).

Uh, his mother beat him with an umbrella, or belts. And sometimes her men too, if they found out that Cash was there in the closet. All the scars were there before he was six, that is when Jason came.

Thanks for sharing about your villain!!! (I might have just missed his name, but..) What was it?

Jominkreesa

Brooke
    @wingiby-iggiby

@mischievous-thwapling

Thank you! 😀 And yeah, feel free to tell me if you think of anything! 😉 I’ve loved reading about all these different baddies; it’s really interesting to see the differences and similarities.

@kimlikesart

Oh, that is so sad! 🙁

His name is Arthur Travores, and he was the second heir to the throne of Rondona, which would make him lord of the land. When two kids are born to the king, they rule together, keeping each other in check and sometimes splitting up the country. Any kids after that visit the people, acting as judges and settling disputes as well as making sure all is going right.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by Brooke.

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@amaustin

Jominkreesa

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest