Villain/Antagonist Development Questions

Forums Fiction Characters Villain/Antagonist Development Questions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Gracie
    @kimlikesart

@hope-ann @wingiby-iggiby @arindown @writergirl101 @anyone

Here is a list of questions (anyone is welcome to add some) to ask about our villains.

We can post our answers here (not necessarily all of them), and ask for advice on the ones we have no idea what our character’s response is. (:

1. Where did you grow up?

2. Who took care of you, if anyone?

3. Were you ever loved as a child? If so, by whom?

4. As a child did you ever love someone? If so, who?

5. Who acted as mentor for you? Did you ever have one?

6. How many people have you ever trusted? What was the result of that trust? (Explain for each person.)

7. Who has hurt you? In what way were you hurt? How did you/are you dealing with it?

8. Is there anyone who you currently love?

9. Is there anyone who you currently need? How do you feel about needing to rely on someone?

10. Do you have any friends?

11. Do you desire to protect anyone?

12. Who do you admire?

13. Who annoys you?

14. Who do you not like?

15. Do you have a pet? What kind?

16. What hobbies do you have?

17. What do you do for fun?

18. What do you hate?

19. What do you fear?

20. What makes you angry?

21. What are you ashamed of doing?

22. What line will you never cross?

23. Is there something in your life that irritates you daily?

24. What is something you will never forget?

25. What is something funny you do? Do you have any weird habits?

26. If you could erase all ties (you don’t have to); what do you want to do/go more than anything?

27. Where you are now, what is your life goal?

28. What are you willing to do to achieve said goal?

29. What/who are you willing to die for?

30. What are you willing to murder for?

31. Do you view it as murdering? Or is it ‘killing’, ‘executing’, or something else?

32. From whom do you hide your ‘below board’ actions?

33. Do you hide anything from yourself?

34. Do you dream?

35. What dreams, if any, makes you wake in a cold sweat?

36. What dreams, if any, bring you peace?

37. How are you admirable?

38. Do you believe what you’re doing is right? Why?

39. Do you believe the world owes you? If yes, why do you believe such?

40. Do you believe the world is out to get you? Why is it?

41. Do you want to pay someone back for hurting you? Why? How do you justify it?

42. What do you deserve?

43. If you can’t get what you want, will you despair, or try harder?

44. If you know you are caught. Your mission/cause is lost… What will you do?

45. When angry, do you fly into a rage? Or do you simmer in silence?

46. What emotional needs, if any, drive you?

47. Do you respect yourself? Why?

48. If your home was destroyed and you could save only one thing, what would it be?

49. What do you do right before bed?

50. What do you do right when you wake up?

51. Do you have a day job?

52. What is your favorite quote?

53. What are your views on God, Satan, gods, afterlife, reincarnation, Jihad, and anything else that has to do with ‘religion’ or ‘spirituality’?

54. How are you like the protagonist/good guy/hero?

55. How are you different?

56. How do you admire him/the protagonist/hero?

57. What do you despise/wish he would change about himself/protagonist/hero?

58. Do you care about him/hero at all? Or do you now see him/hero as a problem?

59. Do you have more pride than the common person?

60. If you were arrested, what would you do?

Jominkreesa

Passion means to be willing to suffer.

Arindown
      @arindown

@kimlikesart AMAZING! I am so doing this.😊 Thanks so much for putting that together.

Do you want us to post our answers on this thread (considering that it might get long…😉)?

Forgiven. Loved. Creative.

Gracie
        @kimlikesart

@arindown

I, (personally), would post the parts you find most interesting, so people will be more likely to read it. (:

But, if you want to post the whole thing…? I will read it, even if it’s about five pages per question…in several installments mind. (:

Jominkreesa

Gracie
          @kimlikesart

12. Who do you admire?

Modification.

12. Who do you admire, and why?

Jominkreesa

Gracie
            @kimlikesart

For Cash (Carter Vincent Cone)/Answering As If The Author (I/Me/Myself) Is Questioning Him

1. Where did you grow up?

Dallas Texas, until around the age of ten. Then Jason took me and Cathy to his folks way up north. Though, North Carolina doesn’t seem as far now.

2. Who took care of you, if anyone?

Uh, the first few years of my life an old man I don’t remember the name of. Then no one for several years. Then Jason. Then no one again. Then myself.

3. Were you ever loved as a child? If so, by whom?

*Sucks in breath, then bites his lip…shrugs while shaking his head* “I’m tempted to say no one. My father might of, when I was born. He might still love me. But I don’t know him.

My ma never liked me, let alone loved me.

Jason might have, a little. But, I really think I was just a responsibility. A responsibility he had to keep, or his over-sensitive conscience would torment him…

Cathy. Yes. When I was nine my little sister was born. I loved her, and my name was her first word. She loved me too.” *Smiles wistfully* “Though I haven’t seen her in years, I still love her. I’d like to think she loves me too.

And Clarence,” *Carry’s jaw sets* “He’s dead now, but,” *Shakes his head, anger rising in his chest* It’s all your fault. “He loved me as a brother from the time we were thirteen until a few months ago.” When he died, shot in the back.

*Again, smiles wistfully.* “Cathy.

My mother a little…for a while. I know I loved her at the age of three, after that? I think I had gotten over it.”

5. Who acted as mentor for you? Did you ever have one?

“A mentor? Hmm. Jason, I suppose. But not for very long. I was a fool and chose street kids as friends. I know that hurt him, but I just didn’t care.” *Works his jaw a bit* “And Professor Higby. He taught the course I took in college on ‘Criminal Justice’. Oh, if you didn’t know, I’m a lawyer.”

6. How many people have you ever trusted? What was the result of that trust? (Explain for each person.)

*tilts head back in slight shock of the question…* Wow, okay.  “A few, actually, I’ll rephrase. Clarence…explicitly. Jason, a little. My mother,..once. Cathy, where she is a jewel, she can’t keep a secret to save anyone’s life.  I trust few to none.

And the second part of the question? Clarence. He has, was, the most solid, kind, loyal man anyone could hope to lock with. He was good. I loved him. He never betrayed my trust. Even when it would have been better for him. He was a true friend.

Jason. I trusted him, for he protected me from the woman who bore me. Then, with the onslaught of adolescence, I turned on him, and never repaired the broken relationship. He didn’t betray me. But with Judy, some day he might have.”

*Smirks*  “Like the fool of a babe I was, I trusted the woman who gave me suck. Never again!” *Brows pop up* Wait, explain what she did with that trust? Whew, you are asking for it, aren’t you? “Here’s what she did. She was freak enough to get pregnant, then my father was crazy enough to let me be born. After that, my childish love and trust was trampled on and regurgitated by a woman who wasn’t fit to love anyone or be loved.” *Runs a hand over his face, and looks away. The emotions rushing through his body were moving him dangerously close to tears.*

*Images flashing through his mind. Caroline beating him. Her letting her many men beat and… His nose curls, salt in his reddening eyes. The closet. The umbrella. Sneaking into restaurants to steal Ketchup packets so he could eat…* “Excuse me.” *He rises abruptly, silently as a shadow, and then leaves.*

7. Who has hurt you? In what way were you hurt? How did you/are you dealing with it?

“Chu,” *looks around in disgust* Really? After all that you ask this? “No. No. And,” *Snickers* “How do you think I’m dealing with it?”

(He suppresses all emotion /unless he needs it to sway a jury/, and unless questions like this drag it up. Which, they aren’t really ever asked. He doesn’t think about this during the day at all. Maybe sometimes upon his bed though, where hate eats at him like the worst acid or tar.)

8. Is there anyone who you currently love?

*Closed mouth-hah!* …… *Calms down a bit so he can answer questions rationally again.*

“Yes.”

9. Is there anyone who you currently need? How do you feel about needing to rely on someone?

“No.” *seconds later* “On second thought,” *sigh* “Sadly,.. yes.”

The engraver/multiple shipping post operatives/manual labor people…

“It makes me jittery, for lack of a better word. I, I am being forced to trust a multitude of people. If one person squeals, and we don’t get to them in time, everything I’ve been working for over the past twenty years will be lost…and I’ll be in jail.

And, my promise to keep Ruby comfortable with her children will be broken.”  (Cash is really big on keeping his word.)

10. Do you have any friends?

“Friends? Well, that’s a bit tricky. Personally, I have no friends. I have a number of acquaintances and people who confide in me. Several would call me a friend, a few even their best friend.” *Sighs and shakes his head* Poor fools

11. Do you desire to protect anyone?

*Brows lift, then lower just as quickly* “My sister. My wife, Ruby, for I’ve promised her as much.” *A time later* “Oh, and myself.”

12. Who do you admire, and why?

*Brows lift in the same way as before, but don’t go down near as soon…Swallows hard, and runs a hand beneath his collar.* Hitler. “Uh, about that, may I skip this question?”

No.

*Looks away a bit. Finally turns back. His hazel eyes are truthful, and crazy looking, they say ‘You really wanna know? Fine.’ “Not because of all the people he killed, murdered, executed, or however you’ll have it. But because of his charisma. Because of how he was able to hypnotize a whole nation, and almost conquer the whole of Europe and Asia. He rose to power quickly, as if from no where. He came from no where. And, ‘Wo unto the world’, if they ever forget him.

That is why I admire him. That is the mark I wish to leave on this world.”

13. Who annoys you?

*Jaw clenches, and brows lower in thought* “Annoys me? Well, my wife’s children, to tell the truth. And a few of my workers…”

Jominkreesa

Gracie
              @kimlikesart

@writergirl101

Silence is broken.

Jominkreesa

Wingiby Iggiby
                @wingiby-iggiby

@kimlikesart

Yay! Thank you for doing this! I shall have to find time to answer these 😉 I have no idea how you came up with all those questions, but wow. I was reading them, and wondering when they would end! Great job!

And I love your characters interview! it was really good, and that part about Hitler was not only startling, but actually made sense for a villain.

I know you got mountains to climb,
                  But always stay humble and kind -- Tim McGraw

Gracie
                  @kimlikesart

@wingiby-iggiby

*Slightly ashamed smile* I didn’t come up with all of them, though a few. I looked up ‘deep questions’ on the internet, then picked and chose several. Then I modified them, and stretched them a bit.

I hope they are helpful.

Yeah, the Hitler thing? *hooks hair behind my ear nervously* I don’t know where that came from. It just, made sense when I was thinking from Cash’s perspective… *shivers* What Mr. Lamb said about loving your character, and mourning for them? Oh yeah, I have it big time… Geez do I mourn for him.

Jominkreesa

Gracie
                    @kimlikesart

@hope-ann @wingiby-iggiby @arindown @writergirl101 @anyone (If you don’t want me to tag you here, please let me know.) (:

Another Question:

61. Do you have any physical scars? If so, how did you get them?

Jominkreesa

Wingiby Iggiby
                      @wingiby-iggiby

@kimlikesart

Well, still. Thanks for compiling them! They are really going to help with my guy’s development, and will add to his backstory; giving me more to think about, I mean. They are DEFINITELY helpful!

And the Hitler thing, yeah! I have a hard time putting myself in my villain’s shoes, and anyone else for that matter. I’ll have to check out what Mr. Lamb said. I haven’t had time to read through all of the posts. It’s funny how SE will be relatively silent for a few days, and then BOOM! It’s hard to keep up.

Wingiby Iggiby
                        @wingiby-iggiby

Oh, and good extra question. Villains tend to have scars, lol. Especially on the forehead or across the cheek…

Wingiby Iggiby
                          @wingiby-iggiby

And…. I am being SO forgetful! I don’t mind you tagging me on here at all 😉

Let’s hope I remembered everything.

Gracie
                            @kimlikesart

@wingiby-iggiby

They are DEFINITELY helpful!

That’s good.

It’s funny how SE will be relatively silent for a few days, and then BOOM! It’s hard to keep up.

*Grinning* Yeah…

Villains tend to have scars,

My villain’s are on his back.

But few to none have ever seen them.

Jominkreesa

Wingiby Iggiby
                              @wingiby-iggiby

@kimlikesart

Oooo! I like those scars! (well, like, I’m not glad he got them, but you know what I mean) They are unique. Could you post how he got them? I’m interested.

Anne of Lothlorien
                                @anne-of-lothlorien

@kimlikesart

I have a few answers for some of the questions, the ones I felt most related to my villain’s character and struggles, so I thought I’d post them for y’all to read if ya want. He’s not… he’s not a true and dastardly villain like most people think, like Sauron or Hitler or Stalin or the White Witch. He’s… complicated. But here goes!
                                  (His name is Blanke, and he is the governor of the region the book takes place in)

Yes. My father. He was the single person I looked up to in my life. My mother could have cared less about me. She left the family when I was four. But I never really resented that because my father was still there. He took care of me for years. Loved me. Until… *looks away*
                                  7. Who has hurt you? In what was were you hurt?
                                  My father. He became so consumed with his work, with the Auris, that I fell by the wayside. I was of no more import to him than a stray child off the street. I worked for him, helped him, and yet each day felt him recede further into himself and away from me. The last time I saw him he told me that it didn’t matter whether he saw myself again. The only thing that mattered was his work, his precious work.
                                  8. Is there anyone you currently love?
                                  My daughter. Trina. She’s 7 and the one beautiful thing in my life. I would do anything to keep her safe. Even lie to her to hide the truth of what I’m doing, because it would hurt her more than she could see at the time.
                                  18. What do you hate?
                                  Incompetence. Conceit and vanity. *disgusted snort*
                                  19. What do you fear?
                                  Being powerless. Being forgotten. Falling, like my father, into the void of unremembered individuals who fade into history like stains scrubbed away from a clean shirt. My mark will be left permanently. I promise you that.
                                  22. What line will you never cross?
                                  Hurting my daughter to accomplish my goal. God forbid it should happen this way, but if my choice was between Trina and the Master’s position, I would choose Trina. She’s everything I have left. I’m everything she has left.
                                  34. Do you dream?
                                  Don’t we all? Of course I dream. I drift off in the middle of meetings to wonder at the the future. I fall asleep to crazed hallucinations of random things. I wake screaming from nightmares. I cling tightly to sleep, begging to replay that one scene over and over again. Of course I dream.
                                  35. What dreams, if any, make you wake in a cold sweat?
                                  *face tightens and jaw clenches* The one I’m not speaking of.
                                  36. What dreams, if any, bring you peace?
                                  *face softens* The ones where my wife is back. The ones where I am happy again. Where my father is proud of me. Where my family is whole.
                                  37. How are you admirable?
                                  I will not give up. I will do what it takes to reach my goal. To be a man unlike my father. To have people remember me. I won’t give in, give up, or give over.

This was super fun, Gracie! Thanks for posting these!

I'm short, I like words, and I love people.
                                  No, I didn't draw my profile pic.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest