fb

Unusual/Useful Words

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Unusual/Useful Words

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

A Word Challenge!

You give one or more, unusual, useful words, and their definitions. Then tag people (if you want).

<^>

Example:

Egad = Used as a mild exclamation. / An exclamation expressing exultation or surprise.

Bard = A piece of armor used to protect or ornament a horse. / To cover meat, in thin pieces of bacon, or fat, to preserve moisture during cooking.

@zee
    @eitan @princessmk

<^>

Please do not talk to each other very much on here! This thread is to be an interesting list, of interesting words and definitions.

Thank you, and I hope you have fun!

Jominkreesa

'Forth now! And fear no darkness!'

Zee
    @zee

I’ve always liked the word “Ellucidate.” It means to clarify something that’s confusing, literally, to shed light on it.

However, I don’t think I’ve used this word in writing, only in speech, since I tend to write with a fairly limited vocabulary and speak with an extremely wide one.

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Sonder = The realization that each person has a life, and emotions, as vivid and complex as your own.

Jominkreesa

Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

Two of my favorite words are defenestrate (to throw someone out of a window) and milquetoast (to be timid, weak, or bland).

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Ooh, cool Mr. @josiah ! Thank you. (:

Oy vey iz mir (usually shortened to ‘oy’) = a Yiddish phrase expressing dismay or exasperation

Jominkreesa

Winter Rose
    @winter_rose

Hiraeth= a Welsh word, meaning homesickness, nostalgia, and a deep yearning for a home you cannot come back to, or maybe never was.

What I know in my head and what I believe in my heart are two entirely different things.

Zee
    @zee

I find myself using the Persian word “kaj” (crooked or off-balance) all the time, because kaj just sounds so much more kaj, you know.

And there’s janjal, to describe an annoying, chaotic, bothersome, and probably noisy situation. Perfect.

Kayla Skywriter
    @kayla-skywriter

I don’t think it’s a super rare word, but it’s not used in everyday conversation so…

Perfidy: deceitfulness, untrustworthiness

I remember learning this word for the first time reading Tale of Despereaux and falling in love with it there.

How we chose to fight is just as important as what we fight for

Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

I don’t know how unusual this is, but… Here it is:

Obstreperous

(adjective) Definition: noisy and hard to control

"I threw stones at the stars, but the whole sky fell."

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Tacit – Not spoken. / Implied by or inferred from actions or statements while not speaking; silent.

Faring – Seeming or looking / Doing going in as seafaring. / An adventure, trek, journey.

Temerity – Excessive boldness or rashness / foolhardiness or recklessness.

Dalit – A member of the lowest class in India, whom those of the four main castes were formerly forbidden to touch / Offensive or untouchable

Pariah – A social outcast. / A Dalit.

Bestiary – A book consisting of a collection of descriptions of real and fabulous animals, often including a moral or allegorical interpretation of each animal’s behavior. Bestiaries were particularly popular in medieval Europe. /

A fighter with wild beasts in the ancient Roman amphitheater.

Mien – Bearing or manner, especially as it reveals an inner state of mind. /

An appearance or aspect. /

A person’s air, manner, or expression of countenance

Sparking – Dating

Tintype – A photographic positive taken on a thin plate of japanned iron /

A ferrotype.

Japanned – Varnished with japan black

Japan Black – A lacquer or varnish suitable for many substrates but known especially for its use on iron and steel. It is so named due to the history of black lacquer being associated in the West with products from Japan.

Ferrotype – A positive photograph made directly on an iron plate varnished with a thin sensitized film. /

The process by which such photographs are made. /

A kind of positive photograph, so called because the sensitive film is laid on a sheet of enameled iron or tin; a tintype. The plate is exposed in the camera and then developed in the ordinary way.

Hoosegow – A jail

Verklempt – Overwhelmed, flustered, nervous / excited, overjoyed, happy

Poking – Drudging or servile. /

Present participle of poke.

Agelast – One who never laughs.

@this-is-not-an-alien

Jominkreesa

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

serendipity-unexpected goodness or kindness

onomatopoeia-written sounds like bang, crash, floosh!

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Ataraxia; state of freedom from emotional disturbance and anxiety; tranquility.
    Psithurism; sound of the wind through trees
    Selcouth; the insistent feeling of everything being strange and different.
    Numinous; a powerful feeling of both fear and fascination, of being in awe and overwhelmed
    Monochopsis; the subtle but persistent feeling of being out of place.
    Brontide; the low rumble of distant thunder
    Sirimiri; a light fine drizzle of rain
    Serein; a fine rain that falls from a clear sky at sunset or early hours of the night; evening serenity
    Morosis; the stupidest of stupidities
    Belle ame; a beautiful soul.
    Philomath; a lover of learning.
    Ephemeral; lasting a very short time
    Sempiternal; everlasting; eternal
    Chimerical; merely imaginary; fanciful
    Elysian; beautiful or creative almost divine; peaceful and perfect

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Ooh, these are all fabulous! I love weird, obscure words!

Here are some of my favorites:

Lolloping- to walk in a clumsy, bouncy manner. (This is one of those words you need to say in a British accent XD)

Sesquipedalian- someone who overuses long words to seem intelligent.

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- The longest word in the English language, and it means the fear of long words. (Yes, this is an actual thing, I checked.)

Blutterance- Any phrase you say when you’re not really listening to someone. Like: “Oh, really,” and “Uh-huh,”

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien

This is such a cool thread! I love new and unusual words… here are some cool ones that are coming to mind right now…

Susurrus – (noun) Whispering, murmuring, or rustling

Paraphernalia – (noun) Miscellaneous articles, especially the equipment needed for a specific activity

Sonder – (noun) The profound feeling of realizing that everyone, including strangers passed in the street, has a life as complex as one’s own, which they are constantly living despite one’s personal lack of awareness of it

Gloaming – (noun) Twilight, dusk

I look forward to seeing other new words!

I'm short, I like words, and I love people.
    No, I didn't draw my profile pic.

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

This thread may be dying, but I discovered the word chary today.  It means the same thing as wary, apparently.

“He walked with a chary air, suspicious of everything and hesitant to trust.”

It is also apparently a homophone of ‘cherry’.

@kimlikesart
    @this-is-not-an-alien @joelle-stone @erynne @rose-colored-fancy

"Remember, you go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you." - Rev. Peter R. Hale

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘General Writing Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest