fb

*Tries to make a dramatic entrance, but trips and laughs at self hysterically.*

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself *Tries to make a dramatic entrance, but trips and laughs at self hysterically.*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Violet
    @pookiemonster

I HATED Writing. I loathed it to the point; I would have sworn to you that I was allergic to it.However, I would often tell stories to my siblings. Most of the stories I told them were nonsensical; but once in a while I would get one of those idea and I would say “that would be a great book.”.Long story short, I finally got fed up with having all these ideas and doing nothing with them

That was less than a year ago.

Since then, I have looked at all sorts of articles and resources; trying to learn how to put my ideas on paper. You can only imagine how giddy I was, when I found Kingdom Pen. I am eternally grateful for that site.
    And I’m so excited for the guilds to open; now I can finally get answers to all those obscure or basic questions I have.

……Wait… This is supposed to be an introduction, not a back story?!

Ok, introduction…go…

I’m a homeschooled-high schooler, and If I could, I would stay in my room and read all day. Some (most defiantly not all) of my favorite books are The Prisoner of Zenda, The Moonstone, Anna and the King of Siam, A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court, Don Quixote de La Mancha, and I could read the Sherlock Holmes stories a million times over.
    So far my favorite part about writing is coming up with a characters back story (even the ones who are only mentioned once).

Feel free to ask me any random question that pops in your head (those are the best kind.).  🙂

Just remember to... Trust in God, Stay Safe, and Eat Doughnuts 🍩🍩

Brianna Storm Hilvety
    @briannastorm

@pookiemonster Welcome to Story Embers!

I loathed writing (and reading!) back in elementary school, and English was my least favorite subject in high school, but now I’m a professional editor, so I work with words and grammar every day. And nothing could make me happier. ☺️ My, how our perspectives and ambitions change with time.

I’m glad you developed a love for storytelling. We have lots of resources and content on the site (and in the making 😉) that I hope will aid you in your journey.

What genre do you like to write in?

Wielder of a Red Pen | TheLiteraryCrusader.

Kayla Joy
    @kayla-joy

I love creating characters backstories too. I have a favourite character interview that I have for all my characters, even the ones that aren’t that important to my story. One of the deciding factors in what books (and even movies) I like is how well the characters were written. If the characters are believable and relatable, I will love that book. 🙂

Random question. You say you like reading Sherlock Holmes. Do you enjoy watching it as well? And if so, what is your favourite version?

Red haired Disney Nerd. Proverbs 3:5-6 ENFP-T

Mariposa Aristeo
    @mariposa

Howdy, @pookiemonster! Me and my assistant, Aberdeen the Authorosarus (he’s an ink-drinking, book-eating dinosaur), welcome you! 🦖😃 What’s your favorite type of cookie?

I think dinosaurs are cooler than dragons. 🦖

Violet
    @pookiemonster

@briannastorm   I don’t how you’d feel about this but grammar is my major road block while editing  ლ(⸟ᨎ⸟ლ). If you know of any good resources that would be greatly appreciated . 🙂

I like to write Fantasy, Historical Fiction, Historical Fantasy, and Children’s literature

I’ve also been looking into epics recently; I find them really fascinating.

How about you? 🙂

Violet
    @pookiemonster

@kayla-joy    Yes! If the characters don’t feel real, I’ll stop reading the book.

I’ve never watched any of the Sherlock series. However, I have seen the two movies, where Robert Downey Jr. played Sherlock. The first movie was not to my liking(too dark); the second though, I absolutely loved! I fan girled when they took a line directly out of the book….:)

Have you seen them?

Violet
    @pookiemonster

@mariposa     Hi Mariposa, and Aberdeen. Thanks for the welcome

I wish I could offer refreshments but sadly I’m not in the habit of using ink. More of a mechanical pencil gal myself.

Cookie……Well….for my family I mainly make peanut butter cookies(they love peanut butter).However, I’m also a sucker for fortune cookies. If baking cookies weren’t so time-consuming I would make them more often. So… (╭☞¬ ◞ ¬ )╭☞ what’s your favorite cookie? 🙂

Brianna Storm Hilvety
    @briannastorm

@pookiemonster Sure! Grammar Girl has numerous articles that would be helpful with brushing up on grammar: https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/grammar-girl 

And C.S. Lakin has a series of posts that cover different rules and common grammar/spelling mistakes: https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/grammar-girl

I occasionally write articles and short stories, but my focus is mainly on being an editor. 🙂 Working here at SE and the handful of other editing projects I do each year keeps me fairly busy.

Fantasy is my favorite genre though, and I had a couple novels in the draft stage before I switched career paths.

Wielder of a Red Pen | TheLiteraryCrusader.

Gabrielle Pollack
    @gabriellepollack

@Pookiemonster Welcome! 😀 What’s your favorite Sherlock mystery?

Mariposa Aristeo
    @mariposa

@pookiemonster My favorite cookie is probably either lemon crinkle or gingerbread. However, my favorite cookie to make is double chocolate (I kinda made up the recipe so I’m rather proud of it 😊). Aberdeen’s favorite cookie is paper with pencil sprinkles. 😜

I think dinosaurs are cooler than dragons. 🦖

Kayla Joy
    @kayla-joy

@pookiemonster

I haven’t seen the movies, but I just watched the first season of Sherlock, and I loved it. It’s depiction of Sherlock is loyal to the books. I just love that show.

Red haired Disney Nerd. Proverbs 3:5-6 ENFP-T

Violet
    @pookiemonster

@briannastorm  Thanks for the resources :); I’ll be sure to check those out.

Violet
    @pookiemonster

@gabriellepollack   That is a really hard question to answer!!!! As a huge fan, it’s hard to choose just one.                ლ(⍜ロ⍜ლ)

Keep in mind though, I have not yet read them all. I’ve only read 37 of the short stories and one of the complete novels. School gets in the way of the important things…lol

If I had to choose one however, I would choose “The Adventure of the Final Problem”. I love this one because it contains my favorite quote from Sherlock, which runs as follows ” ‘You have paid me several compliments, Mr.Moriarty,’ said I. ‘Let me pay you one in return  when I say that if I were assured of the former eventuality I would, cheerfully accept the latter.’

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Violet.

Violet
    @pookiemonster

@mariposa   I’ve never had lemon cookies; maybe I’ll make some next weekend. If needed I could supply Aberdeen with many cookies indeed.

Violet
    @pookiemonster

@kayla-joy   Which Sherlock series are you watching(there are a few)?

If you think it’s good I’d like to look into it. 🙂    ヽ( ͌ᗜ ͌)ノ

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.