Traditional Publishing Anyone?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Traditional Publishing Anyone?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Evelyn
    @evelyn

Hi, so I just finished my second book and it is being sent to some alpha readers but meanwhile Iโ€™m trying to figure out what will be the next step after that.

I know a lot of people here are self-published if published at all, and Iโ€™ve learned a lot about that from them, but I was curious about the arguments for and the experiences of traditional publishing. So I have some questions to those who have gone through that process or are going through it right now. (If you know anyone like that, please tag them) or even better writers who have done both self-publishing and traditional and can compare with first hand experience. (Please tag someone you know who can help!)

Here are the things what I was hoping to learn about:

1. What are the ups and downs of traditional publishing?
    2. Did you get an agent? If so how? Or just send it to a publisher or editor?
    3. What should I expect if I try for traditional publishing,
    4. And do you have any tips or suggestions?

Thank you!

And now to tag some peeps! @snapper and @bigideaskc (cause I feel like at some point both of you said you were traditionally published, in the process, or trying to be – correct me if Iโ€™m wrong! ๐Ÿ™‚ )

• This topic was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Evelyn.
    A.N. Parker
    @bigideaskc

or even better writers who have done both self-publishing and traditional and can compare with first hand experience. (Please tag someone you know who can help!)

@evelyn
      I have done that, haha, and although I haven’t finished the process of traditional publishing yet, I can help out a little, hopefully. Thanks for tagging me. ๐Ÿ™‚

1. What are the ups and downs of traditional publishing?
      3. What should I expect if I try for traditional publishing,
      4. And do you have any tips or suggestions?

Hmm… Alright. Let me answer these one-by-one. ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Traditional publishing requires submitting chapters to the editor, trying to get a book cover through the publisher, etc. PRO: It is good because the publishers can then promote your book and help it grow, whereas if you self-publish it, you have to promote it manually. CON: It is sort of a hard process, since it requires time and effort to try to find the right person, and you have to deal with the sometimes painful edits your grammar and storyline editor may have.
      2. You don’t need an agent, at least not that I’m aware of, if there’s a publisher in your state. When we were first looking for a publisher, we actually found one right here in our state and we were able to connect with them.
      3. What should you expect? Well, if you’re talking about an end result, that’s hard to say for me, since I haven’t finished the process. But during the process? Well, expect some stress, but it will be WAAAAY worth it in the end, when you have the book in your hand. ๐Ÿ™‚
      4. Tips or suggestions? Well, first of all, why are you asking? Without asking for any personal information, what type of book (genre) are you writing, or what is it about? For example, we self-published my short children’s book, but with this novel, I think it should definitely be traditionally published.

Hope I can help! ๐Ÿ˜€

Grammar Geek | Steampunk Enthusiast | Published Author | Winged Warrior | Avatar by RedPhoenix15

A.N. Parker
      @bigideaskc

@evelyn
        Also, keep in mind that an editor is usually a part of the publisher. If it’s a big publishing company, whoever the publisher is probably has an editor working for them. If it’s not that big, they may outsource to other regular editors around the country or across the state. Like mine, though I won’t give specific details. ๐Ÿ™‚

Grammar Geek | Steampunk Enthusiast | Published Author | Winged Warrior | Avatar by RedPhoenix15

Evelyn
        @evelyn

@bigideaskc Thanks that was helpful!

“Tips or suggestions? Well, first of all, why are you asking? Without asking for any personal information, what type of book (genre) are you writing, or what is it about?”

My story, Paper Adventures, is a middle school chapter book about some twins whose drawings come alive. They have to keep them out of trouble and try to figure out how to send them back but they have no idea how.

Here is the summary I wrote the other day: ๐Ÿ™‚

“Allen and Allie Mooreโ€™s rainy Saturday afternoon suddenly turns upside down when their drawings crawl right out of their pages. Things burn, tear, break, and tangle as the curious Bob family explore the strange human world for a couple days. Then the problem only grows when the twins are pulled with the drawings back into their paper world and are submerged into a completely new culture where everyone is at the moment trying to answer the same question: What is going on?”

And you talked about finding your publisher, how long did that take and how to you go about doing that?

Thanks!

Evelyn
        @evelyn

@bigideaskc I didn’t see your second message. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for clarifying!

A.N. Parker
        @bigideaskc

My story, Paper Adventures, is a middle school chapter book about some twins whose drawings come alive. They have to keep them out of trouble and try to figure out how to send them back but they have no idea how. Here is the summary I wrote the other day: ๐Ÿ™‚

โ€œAllen and Allie Mooreโ€™s rainy Saturday afternoon suddenly turns upside down when their drawings crawl right out of their pages. Things burn, tear, break, and tangle as the curious Bob family explore the strange human world for a couple days. Then the problem only grows when the twins are pulled with the drawings back into their paper world and are submerged into a completely new culture where everyone is at the moment trying to answer the same question: What is going on?โ€

I’m glad that was helpful, @evelyn! ๐Ÿ˜€ I love that description, by the way, and the idea of Paper Adventures. When it comes out, that’s definitely something I’d love to check out! ๐Ÿ˜€

And you talked about finding your publisher, how long did that take and how to you go about doing that? Thanks!

Well, it really depends. Like I said earlier, if it’s a publisher in your state, then it may be easy to find one. If there’s no one, it might get kind of hard. (By the way, it’s MUCH more expensive to traditionally publish a book than to self-publish it.)

Brianna Storm Hilvety
          @briannastorm

@bigideaskc @evelyn

By the way, itโ€™s MUCH more expensive to traditionally publish a book than to self-publish it.

Traditional publishing doesnโ€™t cost a cent. If your publisher has asked you for money, itโ€™s not a traditional publishing deal but likely a vanity publisher. A traditional publisher will pay you rather than the other way around.

Wielder of a Red Pen | TheLiteraryCrusader.

A.N. Parker
          @bigideaskc

@bigideaskc @evelyn

Traditional publishing doesnโ€™t cost a cent. If your publisher has asked you for money, itโ€™s not a traditional publishing deal but likely a vanity publisher. A traditional publisher will pay you rather than the other way around.

@briannastorm
            Really? What’s a vanity publisher? Thanks for your help.

Evelyn
            @evelyn

@bigideaskc Aww, thanks! ๐Ÿ™‚

@briannastorm
            I would ask the same question. XD What’s a vanity publisher?

Brianna Storm Hilvety
            @briannastorm

@bigideaskc @evelyn

Hereโ€™s an article with thorough descriptions of the different types of publishers and an especially detailed list of reasons to be wary of vanity publishers:

http://www.sfwa.org/other-resources/for-authors/writer-beware/vanity/

Hope that helps! ๐Ÿ™‚

Wielder of a Red Pen | TheLiteraryCrusader.

Evelyn
            @evelyn

@briannastorm Thanks that was helpful!

A.N. Parker
            @bigideaskc

Hereโ€™s an article with thorough descriptions of the different types of publishers and an especially detailed list of reasons to be wary of vanity publishers. Hope that helps! ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks so much, @briannastorm! That definitely helped. ๐Ÿ˜€

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest