To Blog or Not to Blog

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions To Blog or Not to Blog

This topic contains 24 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  R.M. Archer 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

Hey, SOOOO I’ve been thinking a long time about starting a blog but I’m kinda unsure about whether it’s worth it. I’ve heard good things about blogging and bad things about blogging. (And I’m also thinking “seriously, there are already like 5 million teenage girls who have blogs, goodness knows we don’t need one more!!” 😉)

I think it would be fun and I kinda want to do it as an experiment and to force myself to have some sort of schedule in writing…but I’m not sure if the pros out weigh the cons.

So, basically I’m asking for opinions. What do y’all think about your own blogs? Why do you have them? And would you suggest that someone start their own? What are the pros to blogging and do they outweigh the cons?

@evelyn @r-m-archer @ethryndal @kate @daeus-lamb @bama-rose @anybodyelse

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Bama Rose
    @bama-rose

@eden-anderson

Hey Eden!

So, yeah. I have a blog. I don’t know if it’s any good, though. I also don’t know if I have any valuable advice to offer on this topic, but I will just say a few things, cause why not. 😉

So I actually haven’t heard of any negative aspects to blogging, but I don’t know many bloggers. But I DO know that I enjoy blogging and the reasons I do it are:

1. To get my name out so people can at least HEAR about me if I ever decide to publish or do anything of the sort.

2. Because it encourages me to write. I have a hard time with discipline and schedules and all that. So it’s really great to write a super short story and think, “Well, it’s not amazing, but it’ll be fun to post on my blog. It’s not very professional, but I don’t mind. It’s a cute little story that someone may want to read.

But, of course, I’m SUPER laid back, and so other personalities probably have trouble posting something if it’s not amazing. I dunno. It depends, I guess. I probably should care more about what I post, and I know that. But I mainly do it because I enjoy it.

I just like having an incentive to write, you know what I mean?

How we walk with the broken speaks louder than how we sit with the great. -Bill Bennot

Evelyn
    @evelyn

*runs in circles, squealing* YAAAAAAAAAAAS! Yas!

Anyways *coughs* 😉

*raises hand* I for one would love to see a blog from you. 😀 😀 😀 (Pretty please?? 😉 )

The pros and cons of blogging? Hmm. For me the only con with blogging would be time restraints, but it’s not that big of a deal for me. The pros? A place to share thoughts. A way to share writings with long-distance friends and family. Accountability in writing (having a schedule that is and so writing at least something every week.)

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@bama-rose

So, yeah. I have a blog. I don’t know if it’s any good, thoug

Stop that right now! It is good! I know it is. 😀 It’s lovely! ❤️

Okay, maybe I shouldn’t have said negative, because I haven’t really heard negative things either, but stuff like “blogging isn’t actually that helpful when it comes to writing” or “it’s not necessary” stuff like that. (Sorry, I tend to be overly dramatic.🤦)

2. Because it encourages me to write. I have a hard time with discipline and schedules and all that.

Heh…heh. Me too.

But, of course, I’m SUPER laid back, and so other personalities probably have trouble posting something if it’s not amazing.

Yeah, I’m not. laid. back. at. all. Not in anybody’s wildest dreams. 😛 I’d probably become way to obsessed with getting the post just right. And I’m not even a perfectionist! *sigh*

I just like having an incentive to write, you know what I mean?

Yes, perfectly. 😀

@evelyn

I wasn’t expecting that sort of reply, but you are seriously so sweet! 🤗

(Pretty please?? 😉 )

I’m considering it…very seriously considering it.

Yeah, as of now time isn’t really that huge of an issue for me. I’m home schooled, don’t have a full time job, and I spend a lot of time home alone. (tis a sad life for an extrovert.😛)

I really need accountability. And thanks to SE and some other amazing peeps, I’ve gotten some! My writing life has definitely improved! 😀 But I don’t think a little more would hurt.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@eden-anderson Haha, what reply were you expecting? xD

Bama Rose
    @bama-rose

@eden-anderson

You’ve…read it? 😮 My … b-blog? *shakes in my boots*

😆

How we walk with the broken speaks louder than how we sit with the great. -Bill Bennot

Bama Rose
    @bama-rose

Ooh, one other thing. If you start a blog, please do not  use blogger. I hated it. You can hardly insert an image and put it where you want it without screwing up all  your sentences. The fonts are cool, but it doesn’t feel worth it. Even if you don’t insert an image, you never know when the formatting will just become stubborn and do its own thing. I’ve also had trouble with the background colours for words. It’ll just start acting funny, that’s the only way I know how to say it. It’s just a grumpy website, I suppose.

WordPress is a lot more cooperative … so far. I’ve only had one problem with it and it’s not a big deal. 🙂

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  Bama Rose.

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@evelyn

I honestly don’t know. 😛 All I do know is your excitment is contagious!

@bama-rose

Yep, every last article. I’ve scrutinised every post, every article title, every comment. I have found all the grammatical errors and mentally edited your entire blog.

Just kidding. 😛

I have done nothing of the sort! (In fact I don’t think I saw one grammatical mistake.) I love your stories about the restaurant you are employed at…they are hilarious! 😆

Also, your title is really cool! I love Narnia.

Yeah, I am planning to go with WordPress. I’ve read a lot of blogs  in the past year and I think I am beginning to get a feel for what I want. 🙂 Thanks so much for the heads up!

Okay, two more questions:

How did y’all decide on the template for your blog? And where on earth did you come up with a blog name?! (I’ve been ripping my hair out over the last one…😩😩)

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@seekjustice @ericawordsmith I just remembered that you guys have blogs too! 🙂

Bama Rose
    @bama-rose

@eden-anderson

I’m not the best person to ask for that one; my title is literally my name… so…. 🙂 But I am thinking of changing it. SO yeah, I don’t really know how to help you there! Sorry!!

Mariposa Aristeo
    @mariposa

@eden-anderson I’m glad to hear you’re thinking about starting a blog. 😊 I decided to start one because (like @bama-rose) I wanted to get my name out there, grow my skills by consistently writing, and simply because I enjoy blogging. 🙂

The biggest pros (for me at least) were: it helped me to learn how to write nonfiction (a great tool for fiction writers), and it gave me a place to put my thoughts, express myself, and encourage others.

I’d say the cons would be: coming up with post ideas (after a while, this can be hard—especially if you contract a case of writer’s block 😅), being personal without being too personal, providing meaningful content and not just fluff (bloggers need to give readers something with value because blogging is also about readers as well as authors), and building a reader base.

One thing I’d recommend is not to start blogging for the purpose of building a platform. I originally started blogging back in 2013 with a group of friends and that was when I first discovered I liked it (and that also first ignited my love of writing 😊). After that, I started a blog of my own and it wasn’t until a few years later that I started using a blog as a way to attract readers. I wouldn’t suggest you wait years to start building a platform, but maybe a few months to a year. That way, you’re only focused on determining whether you like blogging and it gives you time to experiment and find out what works (and what doesn’t) for you.

And don’t worry about the fact that hundreds of other girls have blogs, because they don’t have something that you have: and that is <i>you</i>. You are what will make your blog unique and that’s what keeps people coming back to your blog to read more. 🤗

Blog names are…impossible. 😝😅 A few things to consider are what kind of vibe you are going for (funny, inspirational, etc.) and think of all the things you like and go from there. One tip is not to make the title too long or too hard to spell. (I read somewhere that it’s called a “radio test.” Your title needs to be able to be easily said aloud so that listeners remember it. 😉)

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

Apparently I’m late to this conversation. The main pro I can think of that hasn’t already been mentioned… *realizes it really only applies to one sort of blog* Okay, let me start over. If you’re planning on starting a writing blog, like, with writing tips not just pieces of writing, a blog can be really helpful for solidifying ideas in your own mind as you’re instructing others.

…I feel like that was worded really poorly. Like, if you’re writing about character backstories, instructing someone else in it through a blog post can help you better understand it, too.

Okay, now that I’ve stumbled over my words way too many times…

What do y’all think about your own blogs?

I really like mine. I like having a place where I can encourage and help out fellow writers and see that I’m making an impact. And, like I explained, it can help me get solid on some parts of the craft as I instruct others in them.

Why do you have them?

To encourage and help fellow writers, and also (theoretically) to connect with readers.

And would you suggest that someone start their own?

Definitely! At the very least it’s a lot of fun, but it can definitely be even more than that. 🙂

How did y’all decide on the template for your blog?

Um… I tried out a bunch of them and decided which one I liked best and then personalized it? I know, that’s really not helpful. XP I tend to do most of my design stuff through experimentation and seeing what works or doesn’t. 😛

And where on earth did you come up with a blog name?!

I brainstormed a list of things that related to my writing and stuffed them together into names until I had a whole list and then I eliminated them a few at a time until I settled on the one I liked. Things like genre, Christianity, writing as a thing, worlds I’d created, my pen name, elves, the project I was working on publishing, etc.

A lot of the names on my list were really bad, but “Scribes & Archers” was also on that list and it’s the name I’ve stuck with for more than a year. 🙂

(If you’d like examples of the types of combinations I had, I’d be willing to post my list.)

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@eden-anderson

Oh my!! If you ever do get your bloggie up, please do let me know, I’m sure it would be awesome!!!! 😉

So pros and cons…. Please also consider that my blog is dead as of right now because I haven’t felt up to getting back into it…

Pros: It can be a great way to share your writings, ideas, etc. Some people like doing writing themed blog  and others like to just share their poetry, stories and whatnot. Personally, I like a mixture of both, or blogs with plenty of book reviews. One of the books that I really love I found through a blog (Martin Hospitality to be exact), so it’s a good place to snoop around for new books. Even if you aren’t getting a lot of comments, you might just be helping somebody who won’t comment or making them smile by a story or something or other.

Cons: It’s time draining and you really have to keep up a platform, and it can feel disappointing to get 5% response to a post that took an hour to create. Also, be careful that you don’t let it become so obsessive (as to building a platform) that you end up wasting a ton of time keeping up with the blogosphere. It’s exhausting. That’s the reason I believe my laptop was broken… To get my attention back onto things that mattered. So, definitely make sure that you keep the monster in the cage or it will eat you alive.

Also, just as a personal observation… SE is a better community from what I’ve observed. I just really do think that SE has been much more welcoming and encouraging than the blogosphere ever was, but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t a few really great blogs here and there (and I’m sure yours would be one of them).

OH MY STARS!!!!! THERE IS A BIRD OUTSIDE THE WINDOW AND- WAIT THERE’S TWO!!!!!!!! THEY’RE SO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry… too cute!! XD

Tek an ohta! Tek an cala!

R.M. Archer
      @r-m-archer

Personally, I’ve found the blogosphere a pretty good community. But I don’t know, I might have just found all the right blogs and/or my definition might be weird. (I tend to be used to hanging back in the shadows and people not talking to me, so maybe that’s what happened here and I just didn’t notice, lol.) But I’ve found that most of the bloggers I follow don’t interact with my blog often (and to be fair I don’t interact a whole lot with them either, because I tend to not know what to comment or start commenting and feel like I’m being really egotistical and delete my comment), but when they do they’re really sweet and encouraging.

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Lin
      @lin

@eden-anderson I know just what you mean! I’ve been thinking about starting a blog too, but more related to art and maybe just a bit of poetry. Seeing all this advice was really helpfull 🙂

“I've loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest