Timberwolf’s Introduction

Forums General Site Info Introduce Yourself Timberwolf’s Introduction

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Wandering Timberwolf
    @wandering-timberwolf

Hey everyone!

I’m Timberwolf, although Timber, Wolf, or just Jonathan all work quite fine ๐Ÿ˜› I’m a 17 year old dude who currently calls Malawi, Africa home, although originally I’m from Canada. My family has been serving here as missionaries since 2010, and I’ve loved every moment of it. When I’m not buried under piles of school work I can usually be found reading, writing, exercising, or playing the occasional video game.

I’ve been writing seriously for about a year and a half now and just completed my first novel last month, which was quite exciting. One of my greatest struggles is portraying my faith in what I write, so naturally I was quite excited when I discovered Story Embers! I’m really looking forward to getting to know people on here, can’t wait to meet you all! (I also get the feeling that I’m not the only OYANer on here, so hello in advance if we happen to know each other already :P)

~ Timber

Mischievous Thwapling
      @mischievous-thwapling

@wandering-timberwolf

Hello, Timberwolf!ย  Or Wolf, or Jonathan; I haven’t figured out which I’d like to call you yet ๐Ÿ˜›

Nice to meet you! I’m a 13 year old gal, who also can be found reading, or writing, or just being complete nerd in my free time.

Wow, since 2010? That’s awesome! How long did you live in Canada? Well, if I did the math I probably could get a pretty clear guess. Let’s see, you’re 17, so if you were born in…Y’know what? I’m going to just let you tell me; there’s a good reason I write and read in my free time, I’m definitely notย a mathematician.

Congratulations on completing you first novel! I’m also working on my first, though I would emphasizeย working….ย ย What’s the title of your novel?ย  And I also can find it hard to portray my faith when I’m writing my book.ย  I either am too preachy, or not showing it clearly.ย  But I would venture to say Story Embers has helped me a lot, and I hope it does the same for you.

So, here’s a random get-to-know-you-question:

What is the dumbest way youโ€™ve received any kind of injury?

I hope to see you around here! ๐Ÿ˜€

Whatever we love deeply becomes a part of us.
        ~Helen Keller

Wingiby Iggiby
        @wingiby-iggiby

@wandering-timberwolf

Howdy! This is Wingiby-Iggiby, 14-year-old gal speaking. Love the profile pic, for starters — also, it is SO cool that you are a missionary in Africa! I have never been outside of the US, and so naturally, when I discover someone who lives elsewhere or used to, I am quite intrigued.

I love to write, draw, read (and read and read), do out-doorsie things and a whole lot of that good stuff.

And you finished a novel!?!? How did you do that!? I am amazed whenever I meet someone who actually finished a book. I started a novel, but I don’t know how much I like it right now. Instead, I’m doing a couple collaborative stories on here to sharpen my writing skills.

I hope you can get what you need from SE! Itย is difficult to incorporate faith into writing. I hope to see you around!

"Whatever man loves dominates them. I loved wrong, for I loved myself. You don't know how sorry I am."

Lona
          @lonathecat

Hello!

Oh cool! What was your novel about? The first novel I wrote, if you can even call it that, was when I was 12. I had the the most stereotypical evil queen ever as my villain, and this obsession with twins. Almost everyone had to have a twin, forget the statistical improbabilities. Reading it now brings me pain.

Kimmi
            @kimlikesart

@wandering-timberwolf

Hi Jonathan, welcome to StoryEmbers!

What exactly is your family’s ministry? Medical care, building churches, road preaching, something else, or a combination of these things? Do you work with Muslims?

Do you plan onย  staying in Malawi as a missionary, or are you going to do something else once you’ve graduated?

What genres do you write in? When you say you have finished a novel, does that mean it’s published, or you have the first to several drafts done? What is it about? What is the story called?

(Sorry for all the questions.) (:

I really love your name, by the way. It is one of my favorites.

I know StoryEmbers can be pretty crazy at first, so if you have any questions I would love to help! (Assuming I know how to help that is…)

Gracie

Jominkreesa

Why is surviving important? Would you not rather die for the truth?

Wandering Timberwolf
              @wandering-timberwolf

@mischievous-thwapling thank you for the warm welcome! Haha, call me all of them if that suits your fancy ๐Ÿ˜› It’s nice to meet you!

Lol, I think we’re in the same boat as far as the math goes ๐Ÿ˜‰ As it turns out you would have actually not gotten the years right if you did the math though, since I didn’t include the entire story of my life in my post xP We moved to Malawi when I was 7, but then we spent two years back in Canada on deputation since we switched sending organizations, so I’ve lived in Canada for about a total of 9 years, plus a few visits in between.

Thank you! It was my sole project for around 18 months, so it felt awesome to finally have it all down on paper, even if it’s far from being the final product.

Oof, that’s a good question xD Honestly the absolute dumbest has to have been when I was 8 and decided that stabbing a tree with a pocket knife was a good idea. The pocket knife folded and sliced my index finger quite deeply, requiring a trip to the hospital and several stitches. Not my brightest moment, especially considering the tree never did anything to me xD How about for you?

@wingiby-iggiby
                Nice to meet you! Haha thank you – this name (or a variant) and this profile pic tend to be my go-tos whenever I join something ๐Ÿ˜› Mhm, living in Africa is quite cool! Haha, I have traveled quite a bit and I still love meeting people from other countries xP If you were given the opportunity would you like to travel?

Ahh, nice! What sort of outdoorsie things do you enjoy? Some personal favourites are jogging, swimming, biking, hiking and canoeing/kayaking, but I don’t tend to turn up my nose at other things!

Indeed I did! And tbh I’m still trying to figure that out… Sheer stubborness is probably the best answer xD Creating a thorough plan ahead of time definitely helped though.

And thank you! I probably won’t have as much time for this forum as I would like, but I definitely plan to pop by every now and again when life lets me ๐Ÿ™‚

@lonathecat
                Hey! Oh, good question. The basic premise is that a group of voyageurs is forced to survive the winter in Northern Canada after their canoe goes down in rapids. Finding food and beating the elements is a large enough challenge, but added into that mix they discover that their canoe was actually sabotaged and the saboteur himself is trekking back into the wilderness with a group of thugs to collect their cargo that he swapped out from their canoe. It’s far from a perfect novel, but for a first draft I’m at least moderately happy with it xP And I certainly understand what you’re saying about reading your old writing xD Most of mine is probably best left untouched ๐Ÿ˜‰ Kudos to you for finishing a novel when you were 12 though! That’s seriously impressive.

@kimlikesart
                Thank you, I’m glad to be here!

We actually have an agriculturally based ministry! Most of the people in Malawi are subsistence farmers, but with an exploding population and farming techniques that are draining the soil there is less food each year. We teach a sustainable method of farming that yields higher results, and we’re able to use that as a springboard to preach the gospel. Our first two years in Malawi we basically just went to a different village each weekend and showed the Jesus Film and preached, but we quickly realized that while we were seeing results, we couldn’t minister only to the people’s spiritual needs, plus discipleship is sorely needed here. What we’re doing now is quite different, but we feel like we’re making a much bigger impact. And yes, we do on occasion work with Muslims! The area we’re in is about 60% Christian and 40% Muslim (though those distinctions are largely cultural and tribal, not based on personal faith), so it’s an interesting mix!

Good question! I actually just started my last year of highschool yesterday, so after that my plan is to take a gap year, and at least half of that will be ministry based (though likely not in Malawi). From there I’m planning to become an EMT in Canada, but after that my plans are less solid. If possible I would like to do something along the lines of emergency disaster relief, but we’ll see where God leads me. I could easily see myself doing medical ministry abroad or becoming a missionary in some other capacity, but I really don’t know what God has in store for me at this point, and he could even be calling me to serve in North America!

The novel I just finished was historical fiction, but at the moment I’m in the outlining stage of a fantasy trilogy! I’ve also dabbled in dystopian and have a number of ideas for dystopian novels, although those aren’t my priority right now. How about you?

(haha no, you’re good xD)

Thanks! I am quite partial to the username myself ๐Ÿ˜›

I’ll definitely keep that in mind, thank you!

Zee
                @zee

Greetings, @wandering-timberwolf! I hope you’ll find a great, encouraging community here at Story Embers. As an ex-expat myself, it’s always cool to meet people with the same lifestyle, especially young people.

Keep up the good work with your writing, studies, and ministry!

Wandering Timberwolf
                  @wandering-timberwolf

Greetings! @zee Thank you! Oh interesting, if you’re comfortable saying, where did you live as an expat?

Thanks so much!

Arindown
                    @arindown

@wandering-timberwolf Hey Timber!

Thought I’d pop in to say hi…especially after you mentioned that you’re from Canada. I currently live in Northern Ontario, although I consider myself pretty hard-core American.๐Ÿ˜„ If you don’t mind me asking, where did you live in Canada?

I’m high-school girl, who loves anything story, farming, and sports. What’s your favorite series? Mine is the Wingfeather Saga (Andrew Peterson), but I also really like Lord of the Rings (especially the movies).

I saw that you’re thinking of doing some fantasy. That’s my main genre…although I dabble in just about everything. Your Historical Fiction book sounds amazing. It reminds me of the Deerslayer series. Have you read any of those?

Anyway, nice to meet you!

Forgiven. Loved. Creative.

Wingiby Iggiby
                      @wingiby-iggiby

@wandering-timberwolf

Nice to meet you too!! ๐Ÿ˜€ If I was ever given the opportunity, YES! Traveling would be SO awesome — I’d like to see all I can of the US first, and then explore other places.

I like swimming, biking, and hiking too (jogging is ok, but I usually walk, LOL)! I haven’t done a lot of canoeing/kayaking; but to do it down a river would be so fun! I like to camp, and once did tubing behind a speed boat with some friends — I was SO sore the next day, I felt like I was 109 yr old. I want to try rock-climbing (outside), if I won’t be to scared of falling even while wearing a harness. Have you ever done that? I once went to an indoor climbing place a while back, but that’s about it.

Ahh, yes — a plan. I usually just sit down and go, LOL, till I run out of steam ๐Ÿ˜› But right now, I’m doing a collaborative story where so far, we have done nothingย butย plan! However, I think I lack enough stubberness to get anywhere past twenty chapters, so I’ll have to see.

And I totally get not having enough time, so don’t worry about it ๐Ÿ˜‰ btw, what is an expat? I have never heard of it, but from what I can gather, it sounds cool!

Your missionary work sounds AMAZING! It is so wonderful that you are doing that! I always marvel at what missionaries go through and what they do. I love to read their stories! I wonder what God will call me to do, so I’ll have to be praying about that. Also, you novel sounds really interesting!

"Whatever man loves dominates them. I loved wrong, for I loved myself. You don't know how sorry I am."

Lona
                        @lonathecat

@wandering-timberwolf

That sounds interesting! I’d definitely read it. ๐Ÿ˜€

And haha thank you. My 12 year old self would be happy.

Wandering Timberwolf
                          @wandering-timberwolf

@arindown Ah nice, it’s cool that you live in Ontario! When you say Northern Ontario, how far north are we talking? North Bay north, or even further up? xD I was born in the tiny town of Deep River, if you happen to know where that is ๐Ÿ˜›

Ooh, good question! LotR is definitely high on that list, but the Darkwater Saga, Hunger Games and a few others all hold special places in my heart.

That’s really cool, fantasy is an awesome genre! What are some of your stories about? No, I’ve never heard of the Deerslayer series! I’ll definitely have to look it up though!

Nice to meet you as well!

@wingiby-iggiby

That’s really cool! What countries would you like to see?

Ah nice, those are all really cool activities! I have gone climbing a couple of times! Once basically just tackling a massive rock with a harness on (it was probably about 8 meters tall?), and another time rappelling into a giant 15 meter deep sink hole, which was quite the experience xD Getting out was also… interesting to say the least. And I’ve done a bit of freehand climbing while doing peaks on mountains, which is a million times more terrifying xD If you’re able to trust the harness (and the person doing your ropes) you can feel quite safe while climbing though. Especially on the way down there’s always this brief feeling of fear when you just let go and trust yourself to the ropes, but once you’re past that it’s super fun and definitely an experience I would recommend!

Haha, that’s fair xD Writing just for the sake of writing can still be enjoyable though, even if you’re not completing novel-length projects! Keep sticking at it and I’m sure you’ll make it sooner or later though.

An expat is an expatriate, or someone who lives outside their native country ๐Ÿ˜› Sometimes being an expat isn’t much of a change, but it can definitely be cool!

Haha, thank you! Do you feel at all called towards missions?

@lonathecat

Ah, thanks! If I ever end up posting it on here I’ll let you know ๐Ÿ˜›

I’m sure! xP

Wingiby Iggiby
                            @wingiby-iggiby

@wandering-timberwolf

Hmmm… Well, I think Ireland and England would be cool, as well as Thailand and France. I don’t really know quite yet; I’d have to think about it harder. I just know it would be so cool to see how diverse and different our small world is!

Wow! Those climbs sound so awesome! Did you do them in Africa? And I had no idea that you could rappel into a sink hole, LOL. What was it like? I don’t know anything about them except that they suck things up, he he. ๐Ÿ˜› And I don’t know if I have the guts to go freehand, bc I’d literally be going “freehand,” But I definitely would like to try some climbing someday! We are going to do some in the future with my AHG troop, and I hope it’s outdoors.

Thank you for the encouragement! It is fun just to write short stories ๐Ÿ˜‰ I’ll keep practicing, and maybe, just maybe, someday I’ll become an author (along with whatever else I’ll be doing).

Ohhhhย that’sย an expat! Thank you!

I don’t know if I feel called toward mission work, but I definitely have time to decide! I know not everyone is called to be a missionary outside their country, but we are all called to be one where ever we are. I don’t even know, though, what I want to do past high school, LOL, so I’ll have to be praying and thinking about it ๐Ÿ˜€

Mischievous Thwapling
                              @mischievous-thwapling

@wandering-timberwolf

so Iโ€™ve lived in Canada for about a total of 9 years, plus a few visits in between.

That’s awesome! Do you miss it at all?

*cringes when you tell about your dumbest injury you’ve received* Ouch….. That’s gotta hurt.ย  The stupidest injury I’ve ever gotten was probably when I was 9 or 10-ish, and I was peeling potatoes, and I slipped and sliced a wedge off the tip of my pinkie. I’ve never peeled a potato since… Never, not a single one XD.

And, I know you weren’t talking to me, but your ministry sounds amazing, and as I kid who’s seriously considering becoming a missionary when I’m old enough, it sounds really cool and inspiring.

Whatever we love deeply becomes a part of us.
                                ~Helen Keller

Arindown
                                @arindown

@wandering-timberwolf

You could say it’s called Northern Ontario…but notย so North.๐Ÿ˜‰ Near the tip of Lake Huron. I like tiny towns personally (I wasn’t born in one, but I live in one). How about you?

I’ve definitely heard of the Hunger Games, but I’ve never read them. The movie posters were everywhere a few years ago, but I didn’t even know they were originally books until lately. Are they mature? (in your personal opinion) or violent? I’m just wondering whether Iย should actually read them sometime.๐Ÿ˜„

My stories? Well…my current WIP is about wizards. I feel like that sounds stereotypical, but I hope it’s not. The plot is driven by disputes between countries, brothers, and high wizards, but my favorite aspect is working out the internal and relational conflicts. What about you? What’s your favorite aspect of writing?

Forgiven. Loved. Creative.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest