fb

Thread of Musical Writers

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Thread of Musical Writers

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

I know a lot of us on here are musical people as well as writers, whether we play instruments or sing or just like listening to it, and @ericawordsmith mentioned starting a thread, so I did.

I’ll tag all the musical people I can find, but I’m almost certain to miss people. 😛

First off, what instrument(s) do you play? (Including voice.)

@thewirelessblade
    @noahlitle @samuel @emgc @literatureforthelight @eden-anderson @bama-rose

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

Hey @r-m-archer!

I play piano and flute, and I don’t sing. 😝 I also picked up the ukelele recently, but I don’t know all the chords yet.

Question: how many people love musicals and what kind?

I like some musicals, like Greatest Showman, Sound of Music, Phantom of the Opera, and Fiddler on the Roof. (I haven’t seen La La Land, but I think I would like it.) But one that I don’t really enjoy is Les Miserables. I guess it just feels too depressing for me. I like most of the songs in it, though.

@ericawordsmith

Great idea for a thread, by the way!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by Alabama Rose.

Courage, dear heart ~ Aslan

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

I love musicals! The Greatest Showman is definitely my favorite. Phantom of the Opera is probably my second-favorite. Beyond that most of the ones coming to mind are either musicals that I like but don’t love, or musicals I love the music from but have never seen. XD I like the music from Wicked and a couple of the songs from Dear Evan Hansen, but I’ve never seen either.

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

@r-m-archer

Yeah, I know what you mean! One thing I’ve discovered about myself is that I don’t really enjoy musicals that don’t have any talking in it…. its just all singing. That bugs me.

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@bama-rose

Ah, that makes sense. That would be annoying. 😛

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

@r-m-archer

Yeah, Les Mis only has like one sentence that is actually spoken. It’s sad.

Thomas (CrØss_Bl₳de)
    @thewirelessblade

Not to brag, but I can play a guitar (My best), bass guitar (In theory), ukulele (I played one once), and piano (Hated learning it back when I was younger).

I can also sing at a bass level. I seem to have a lot going for me.

*Forum Signature here*

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

WOO HOO!!!!! Thank you @r-m-archer I have been hoping somebody would do this thread. 😉

So, first of all, I’ve done piano for years, but I’m not a good sight reader. I can play hard music, classical, all kinds of stuff, but I have to work very hard to get there… So I’m trying to work on sight reading this year with learning All of Me (Jon Schmidt). It’s a crazy amount of metronome work, but it’s insanely fun.

Secondly, I’m learning voice slowly… I love singing and I drive people nuts by singing while they are talking because I can sing and listen to them at the same time. I adore singing, choir the whole nine yards, voice is my favorite.

Thirdly… I am dying to play the cello. I’m going to start playing (Lord-willing) this year, hopefully before February. A cello was my Christmas/birthday/graduation gift all wrapped into one, but sadly, during shipping it was cracked. *O* We got it sent off last week, and HOPEFULLY they will be sending a replacement before long.

(People who know me on SE probably already know this and that I have a rather bad case of the cello disease)

@r-m-archer
    and @bama-rose

Musicals… O.K. so I haven’t seen a ton of musicals… I adore Fiddler on the Roof, like The Sound of Music (because of the memories of singing TSOM stuff at music camp last year), I’ve listened to Wicked, want to watch Les Miserables (after I read the book), and like a hodgepodge of songs from musicals. I will utter the shocking words- I’m greatly enjoying being a not fan of The Greatest Showman. At music camp my best friend and I were the odd duo who disliked it among the fan girls we dormed with. I do like Never Enough, however… Rewrite the Stars was nearly ruined for me by my friend raving about Zack Efron and playing/singing that song before I heard the real deal… Very disappointing. The Piano Guys cover changed that for me… A Million Dreams, I haven’t listened to, but I listened to TPG version and I liked that…

I love the music from Anastasia (I like the film version better than the broadway version)…

So there is the musical rant of mine. 🙂

Tek an ohta! Tek an cala!

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@thewirelessblade

Ooh, bass voices are gorgeous. The bass section is my favorite to listen to in choir. XD The only downside is that we sopranos almost never get to sing with them. Nor can we ever hope to sing that low, even if we have super broad vocal ranges. XD

I love singing and I drive people nuts by singing while they are talking because I can sing and listen to them at the same time.

Dude, me too! I mean, I don’t do it on purpose, necessarily, but I can sing and listen to someone at the same time and I’m often afraid they’ll think I’m ignoring them. 😛 But I get into my music, man! XD

I will utter the shocking words- I’m greatly enjoying being a not fan of The Greatest Showman. At music camp my best friend and I were the odd duo who disliked it among the fan girls we dormed with. I do like Never Enough, however… Rewrite the Stars was nearly ruined for me by my friend raving about Zack Efron and playing/singing that song before I heard the real deal… Very disappointing. The Piano Guys cover changed that for me… A Million Dreams, I haven’t listened to, but I listened to TPG version and I liked that…

Rewrite the Stars is one of my least favorites from The Greatest Showman, along with The Greatest Show and Tightrope (Tightrope just didn’t match everything else). I think Come Alive is my top favorite (I actually have a whole blog post that basically explains why, lol), but all of the remaining songs are pretty high up for me.

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@thewirelessblade

Bass voices are awesome!!! It’s almost painful to listen to though… I just can’t comprehend how voices go that low, but it’s amazing to listen to at the same time.

@r-m-archer

I drive my poor brother up the wall by singing while he’s talking. He doesn’t understand how I can listen to what he’s saying and sing at the same time, but I try to explain that I actually CAN!!

I’m also a stubborn singer… If you try to get me to stop singing before I’m done, I will not stop most of the time. XD

The best part about TGS… That was at music camp, the blue team (which had my best friend and a couple other of my friends in it) was called Rewrite the Sharps. Each of the teams was supposed to come up with an eight minute musical of the story of Jonah with two original songs in the space of a week and a half. One of my friends was head over heels for Zack Efron when TGS first came out, and so during the skit, they had a song where the crew of the ship sings this little sea shanty. My best friend wrote the lyrics and to reference the crush on ZE that our other friend had, she put in, “We’re the crew of the Efron,”. I nearly died of laughter when they did that… I haven’t stopped singing that song, The Crew of the Efron… T’was hilarious indeed!! (If you want to see the song, the skit is actually on Youtube if you look up Blue Team Skit SMA).

Sorry, music camp ramblings… Spending two weeks with a host of musical high schoolers surviving on an average of five to three hours of sleep every night will do things to a person…

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@ericawordsmith

I’m also a stubborn singer… If you try to get me to stop singing before I’m done, I will not stop most of the time. XD

Same! XD

Ooh, Rewrite the Sharps is a cool name. I’ll have to look up that skit! It sounds like a lot of fun!

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@r-m-archer

It’s like, I don’t want to be rude, but I’m in the middle of singing, you’ll have to ask me that when I’m done. XD

If you ever do look it up, it could potentially make little sense on some areas… but the music was really fun. They did two songs, and both were hilarious.

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@ericawordsmith

I’m about halfway through. I LOVED the Studio C reference near the beginning. XD

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@r-m-archer The Jonah girl was great!! The whole thing about the swimsuit… We were at a particularly conservative Christian college where we weren’t allowed to wear pants, so that cracks me up too. My best friend (The Tolkien Friend) is the ship captain, there’s a random tidbit…

E. Grace
    @emgc

Oh oh oh! Thanks for tagging me, @r-m-archer!

Okay, so I play cello, piano, violin, and a little on the ocarina and penny whistle.  Cello is definitely my favorite instrument though.   I just started playing with an orchestra this year, and it has been so much fun.  🙂

@bama-rose

Ooh, I really like The Fiddler on the Roof.  That’s probably my very favorite musical.   But I also like Sound of Music, White Christmas, and I don’t know if any of you have ever heard of Aaron Slick From Pumpkin Crick, but that one’s just a fun one as well. 😀  And… I can’t think of anything else as of the moment.

(And I can’t sing either… :P)

@ericawordsmith

People who know me on SE probably already know this and that I have a rather bad case of the cello disease

Haha.  Same. XD  By chance have you heard of 2CELLOS?  Their music is really good.

It’s like, I don’t want to be rude, but I’m in the middle of singing, you’ll have to ask me that when I’m done. XD

That sounds exactly like my older brother.   I’ll ask him something while he’s in the middle of singing/tapping out a tune and he won’t respond until he’s finished.  XD

"True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less." - C. S. Lewis

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.