This isn’t what it looks like… But how do I show readers that?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions This isn’t what it looks like… But how do I show readers that?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@zee I’ve never really finished anything, so I’ve not run into that hilarious predicament yet. X’D

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@mischievous-thwapling

Hi!  I just stumbled across this thread today (sorry for being late to the party *embarrassed grin*).  I really liked everyone’s suggestions, and agree with what they’ve said.  If it also helps, maybe consider mentioning that two of these three characters already like someone else.  I’ve noticed that someone suggested the girl tease the boys about ‘pretty girls’; what if one or both boys have mentioned they ‘like’ certain other girls from the village? (you don’t have to go into detail, or even bring those girls in as characters.  It could just be a passing comment).

If I may ask, is this a YA story, or a MG story?

(I hope this was helpful!)  🙂

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. — Ernest Hemingway

Mischievous Thwapling
      @mischievous-thwapling

@imwritehere1920

I hope this was helpful!

It most definitely was!! Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with my dilemma 😛 That’s a really efficient and easy-to-incorporate idea. Thank you! (Honestly, I probably should’ve thought of it before starting this whole thread, haha)

I’d say it’s more along the lines of a YA, but there aren’t any things, really, that would make it inappropriate for a younger reader 🙂 Is your WIP a YA or a MG story?

Whatever we love deeply becomes a part of us.
        ~Helen Keller

imwritehere1920
        @imwritehere1920

@mischievous-thwapling

You’re so welcome! 🙂

My WIP is MG (though it’s still top secret….shhh…)

YA sounds cool; what first inspired you to write YA (i.e, was it an author/book/aspect of the genre you liked)?

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. — Ernest Hemingway

Mischievous Thwapling
          @mischievous-thwapling

@imwritehere1920

*whispers* Of course. I shall stay silent. *brings finger to mouth*

Hmm.. I suppose it was a friend, actually! I believe she writes YA, and she, along with several other people, introduced me to writing, and I just wanted to try YA, like her. 😛 HBU?

~Helen Keller

imwritehere1920
            @imwritehere1920

@mischievous-thwapling

Awesome!  I grew up reading mostly MG, and I absolutely love it.  I like how the best MG books handle difficult topics in ways for kids to understand (like loss, forgiveness, etc.) and yet not talk down to them.

Mischievous Thwapling
              @mischievous-thwapling

@imwritehere1920

So true!! That’s something I admire a lot about MG. It makes it so that it’s understandable, but, yes, without sounding superior or something.

~Helen Keller

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest