fb

Thinking of Starting a Bog… Wanna Answer Some Questions?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Thinking of Starting a Bog… Wanna Answer Some Questions?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Hey all! I finally got up the courage to ask my mom if she’d let me start a blog, and she said she didn’t have a problem with it. And then she asked me to do more research before she made a final decision. So! That brings us to my researching/asking questions.

Here are the questions:

1. What are some good hosts to check into?
    2. Is it better to pay for a website and have a more secure host, or are there some free hosts who are pretty secure?
    3. What is the average cost per month of having a website (assuming I used a host I had to pay)
    4. How time-consuming is a blog?
    5. Is a business email address useful, or just cumbersome?

Thx for answering! Tagging some folks that I know are bloggers… @zee @josiahtest @elisha-starquill

"For love is strong as death." -God

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Whoops! The title is Thinking of Starting a BLOG, not a bog. Heh heh.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by Joelle Stone.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@joelle-stone

Heya Joelle!

It’s so awesome that you’re starting a blog! I used to have a website for a while (took it down because I got bored of it XD) and my parents had a website, so I’ll tell you what I know!

As far as I can remember, we used Dreamhost. Dreamhost is about 3 dollars a month, lowest price. I’d say that’s a fairly average price, but once again, not sure XD For the website itself, we used WordPress.

Not sure about the usefulness of a business email, but it might be useful if your blog grows a lot, and it’ll be hard to switch it later.

One thing I remember clearly is that you should definitely put in a reCaptcha anti-robot thing in the comments, otherwise you get a ton of spam. You can find instructions on how to do this online.

That’s all I can remember (this was a few years ago) but I hope other people can give you some more info!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@rose-colored-fancy,

Ooh, all very helpful things, thx!! I’m looking into WordPress. πŸ˜€

Elisha Starquill
    @elisha-starquill

@joelle-stone – Hi Joelle! I’ve collected an odd conglomeration of blogging knowledge over the years so hopefully some of this helps!

1. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Bluehost and know several people who are pleased with it. It’s easily compatible with WordPress and not too expensive, if I remember correctly.

2. I’m not using/paying for any hosts, because WordPress’s free plan is enough for my current blogging needs. Also, I’ve never found a free host that’s reliable, but that could just be my lack of knowledge.

3. Again, I’m not too familiar with hosting stuff, but I do know that with WordPress alone, there are several plans that you can choose. If you’re not going to be running a business, you can either get a 4 or 8$ per month plan, depending on your specific needs. But I’ve been pretty happy with the free one, at least for now, especially since blogging isn’t super duper serious for me. I’ve also used Wix in the past which is similar in price, but for a variety of reasons that you probably don’t want me to wax poetic on, I much prefer WordPress for blogging.

4. It really depends. I personally post about every two weeks, because that gives me enough time to create a post while balancing my busy life, but I know a lot of other bloggers who post weekly. The trick is not posting too much that you spam your followers, and not posting too infrequently that they forget about you. You know, that ever-present balancing act. πŸ˜›

5. I’m not exactly sure what you mean by a business email address, but if you sign up for a website, WordPress or otherwise, you’ll need to sign up with an email, and you probably won’t want to use your personal one.

I wish you all the best in your blogging endeavors! πŸ˜€

INFJ ➳ Trinstamentalist ➳ Thalassophile ➳ Chocolate Hater ➳ Daughter of God

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@elisha-starquill,

Thx for the advice!! And yes, it does help. I’m hearing a lot about WordPress; I’m thinkin’ I’ll go with that one. I looked into Bluehost, and they are pretty cheap, but I haven’t read their privacy policy or security stuff yet. πŸ™‚

BTW, your blog is one of my favorites. You have a great sense of humor; keep up the good work! πŸ˜€

Elisha Starquill
    @elisha-starquill

@joelle-stone – Aww, thank you so much! That made my day. 😊

INFJ ➳ Trinstamentalist ➳ Thalassophile ➳ Chocolate Hater ➳ Daughter of God

Zee
    @zee

@joelle-stone, I use WordPress too, and am quite happy with it. It’s simple, but has everything I really need.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@zee,

Cool, thx! Are there any catches I should know about for using WordPress alone, and not paying for a host?

Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

@joelle-stone

*narrows eyes* If you do start this up, you will give me a link. Understood? *folds arms in a the-wrath-of-the-Evil-Scientist-shall-fall-upon-you-if-you-don’t-agreeΒ way*

Got it? Good.

*disappears*

"I threw stones at the stars, but the whole sky fell."

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@mischievous-thwapling,

*holds Yodeling Encyclopedia up as a shield* No! Thou shalt not terrify me with thy Evil Scientist-ness! (Of course! I’m counting on you to be my #1 Bad Monster fan. XD)

Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

@joelle-stone

(YAY! Thx! And of course, I shall forever be a loyal servant of Queen Kinnan πŸ˜› )

"I threw stones at the stars, but the whole sky fell."

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest