Theoretical Project Idea

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Theoretical Project Idea

This topic contains 43 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  R.M. Archer 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

I had an idea that could be fun or could just be boring or stupid. What if a group of like ten people (starting with me) arranged to have a random topic each month or so that we researched together (relatively), and then at the end of the month we wrote up a piece about some of the Β coolest things we learned (personally), whether in the form of a topical essay or just a general summary, and maybe had a blog to collect them on?

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

Since I realized this morning (well… later this morning, since technically almost 3 is morning) that no one is likely to see a post that they’re not tagged in to begin with, I’m gonna tag a few people to get this started. If I tag you and you’re not interested, that’s perfectly fine. If I tag you and you know someone who might be interested, feel free to tag them.

@eden-anderson @ethryndal @bama-rose @evelyn @noahlitle @kate

(Also, I already have six people interested from another group, plus my sister, so I can take maybe… 5-8 more? Tops?)

@r-m-archer that is an awesome idea. Why do people have awesome ideas when I’m not available to participate? πŸ˜› Thank you for thinking of me though. Maybe in a few months I’ll have the opportunity to jump in with the rest of you. πŸ˜‰

INFP-A. If you can't be brilliant, odd will do.

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@kate

Yeah, definitely let me know if you’re free later on and want to join. πŸ™‚ I’m considering actually setting up a cycling system if I get “too many” people, so people can bow out for a month if they’re not available and others can take their place. My original aim was about 10 people, but I might end up bumping that number to 15, in which case I think something like that could be helpful. So if you’d like me to put you on the list anyway and mark you “on standby” or something like that, I can do that. πŸ™‚

@r-m-archer *nods* You do that. Sounds great. πŸ˜€

INFP-A. If you can't be brilliant, odd will do.

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@r-m-archer

I actually saw this earlier this morning and wanted to reply but am only now getting time to do it!

I think this is an awesome idea!! πŸ˜€ I think it would be lots of fun and also very interesting! I’d love to be a part, but first can you explain a little more exactly what you are thinking? What kind of topics are you thinking of?

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@kate

Awesome! Will do. πŸ™‚

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@r-m-archer This sounds cool! πŸ˜€πŸ˜€ AndΒ I could probably participate too, but now that you’ve got me interested, could you explain some of the details on what you had in mind?

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@eden-anderson

Awesome!

I was thinking semi-specific topics, across subjects, that are specific enough to not be huge but broad enough that each of us could theoretically pick out a different sub-topic to focus on. The breadth could be something like “England in the 80s,” for instance. I’m thinking we might not want to get too much into modern politics or religion because it could end up polarizing within the group (hopefully not, but it’s probably wiser to be pretty cautious about it at least until the members of the group are all pretty familiar with each other). But things like science, history, geography, mythology, etc., and possibly past politics or religion. My sister and I brainstormed a list of topics last night (some of them are lousy, some of them could be fun), but the plan was for everyone in the group to pick topics they’d be interested in, too. πŸ™‚

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@r-m-archer

Okay, thanks! Sounds cool! I was thinking writing related stuff, but it is actually just gonna be a wide range of things…? (That sounds amazing too😁)

Count me in, although I don’t know how available I’ll be a first because of life, but yes, I’d love to be a part!πŸ˜€

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@eden-anderson

All of the people who’ve joined so far are writers to one degree or another, so writing topics would also be a possibility.

Sounds good! I’ll add you to the list. πŸ™‚

@evelyn

What sort of details are you looking for? I’m not super solid on the exact process yet, since I think the whole group should be involved in that so it works for everyone, but if you have questions that are a little more specific I’ll do my best to answer them. πŸ™‚

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@r-m-archer

Okay, awesome! Thanks!😁

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@eden-anderson

Would you be comfortable with me adding you to a Google Hangouts chat for sorting out the details of the group? (And @evelyn, if you decide for sure to join. πŸ™‚ ) If so, you can use the contact page on my site to get your email to me privately so I can add you. If not, that’s totally fine and I can sort out another way to keep you in the loop. πŸ™‚

Bama Rose
    @bama-rose

@r-m-archer

( saw the conversation earlier but haven’t replied yet, same as Eden.)

This sounds pretty cool! Count me in! As long as nothing dramatic happens, my month looks pretty free to do this. πŸ˜‰

How we walk with the broken speaks louder than how we sit with the great. -Bill Bennot

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@bama-rose

Cool! Would you be comfortable sending me your email for a Google Hangout?

Everyone involved:

FYI, this won’t be getting started until next month, since it’s halfway through February already and there are some details still to work out. πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+Β readersΒ answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

Signup Source

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest