Theme/Question

Forums Fiction Themes Theme/Question

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    A Kitchen Sink
    @hgm_barnes18

So this is sorta a deep and pretentious question that plays into my themes…

If anyone has any ideas or answers, take a stab in the dark! Or… shot? I don’t remember these phrases. Oh well.

What makes a human, human? Or, what things when subtracted from us would be subtracting our humanity? (I’m looking for more than a ‘our souls’ answer… though that’s very true. I want more details and specifics, folks!)

Thanks!

"If you called out to the void loud enough... hard enough... would the void answer back?"

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@hgm_barnes18
    I don’t know if this is at all helpful, but what comes to my mind is this. What makes a human a human, or what makes a human significant/special/unique is that we were made in God’s image. He created us in his image for a very specific task, and I think that is what makes a human, well, human.

Hopefully you can get some other input, because I have a feeling this isn’t quite the answer you’re looking for.
    Anyways, Have a nice day Barns!

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

A Kitchen Sink
    @hgm_barnes18

@the-fledgling-artist

Thanks for your input! A very true and valid answer. 😀

"If you called out to the void loud enough... hard enough... would the void answer back?"

Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

@hgm_barnes18

Wow, deep question. I’m not a particularly deep and philosophical person, but I’ll take a stab at it.

Part of our humanity is our ability to chose good and evil. I feel that this choice, this struggle of morality, is what distinguishes us from non-human things (animals, trees, etc.) They cannot choose to sin or not sin. They all suffer the consequences of a fallen world, but they are not making moral choices in it.

Though, as I type this, I remember that my puppy has made very bad choices before. Maybe that’s not a moral decision, though?

Anyway, take this thought or leave it (and disagree with me if I’m wrong). It’s just a thought.

I can’t wait to hear what others say!

Always remember you're unique...
    ...Just like everyone else

valtmy
    @valtmy

@hgm_barnes18

I agree that much of what makes humans human is the fact that we were made in God’s image. We have a spirit and we have the ability to make moral choices.

I would also add that a major component is our mind; our imagination, creativity, and forethought. We have the ability to foresee alternate futures and make decisions towards those futures.

A Kitchen Sink
      @hgm_barnes18

@valtmy Great points. Thanks!

Michaela
      @mgtask

I’ll take a stab at it. As at least one other person said, our morality or lack thereof. The fact that we all need a Savior and the ability & opportunity to have a relationship with Him. The ability to be creative & express ourselves through the arts (music, painting, writing, poetry, etc.), the ability to philosophize and wonder about these sorts of questions 🙂 and the ability to problem-solve/reason.  In general, the fact that we are special beings made to be set apart from the rest of creation.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by Michaela.
        • This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by Michaela.

"May it be mercy I show for it is mercy I've been shown." - Written to Speak

Sarah Inkdragon
        @sarah-inkdragon

I think my response got eaten by the spam folder(This is what happens when I take the time to write out a nice response with sources. :’D). @daeus-lamb Mind coming to my rescue?

"A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."

- C. S. Lewis

Daeus Lamb
        @daeus-lamb

@sarah-inkdragon I don’t see it. 😬

😀
        👕👍
        👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Sarah Inkdragon
        @sarah-inkdragon

@daeus-lamb

Darn. I wonder what happened to it then… oh well. 😉

"A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."

- C. S. Lewis

Corine
        @corine

I might just end up repeating what’s been said before but this is a great question so here’s my take:

As mentioned, we are made in God’s image, unlike any other living thing. Therefore, we reflect certain characteristics of God, that are unique to humans among all creation. We love (not just for the benefit of ourselves or our species but for reasons surpassing natural selection), we have a sense of justice and morality, we are creative beings, we are interested in our surroundings (I’m a scientist and it strikes me how we can devote our entire lives to unravelling small parts of the mystery of how the Earth works) and we are acutely aware of a higher purpose than just survival.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest