The Poetry we Know and Love- a general poetry discussion topic

Forums Poetry Poetry Discussions The Poetry we Know and Love- a general poetry discussion topic

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    SilverDragon
    @silverdragon

So why do you write it? What magic does it hold for you? What form do you prefer, and why?

I write poetry as a means to keep myself writing when the energy for my book lags. It gives me a little space to breathe in the deep waters of story.

I started out with free verse, and that worked for a while. I’ve written over twenty poems that way. But then I discovered the Sonnet. It opened a whole new world of possibilities. I’ve even learned to tell a story in those 14 lines.

So why do you write poetry?

The local invisible dapper dude who likes freaking people out by lifting his hat.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@silverdragon Good discussion questions!

I write poetry because it’s such an abstract, beautiful art with so many possibilities and I love to taste words and fashion and mix them to either flow together or make them choppy depending on the mood I want create. It’s really beautiful I think the way one can build a rhythm through words, and that rhythm impact the mood of the piece subconsciously for the reader.

It’s also a way to just put thoughts on the paper – I find I’m more comfortable thinking through situations in my poetry than in just writing.

I’ve been trying to write sonnets lately, but I’m really struggling to follow the pattern and yet still say what I’m trying to say. Do you have any suggestions on improving? Maybe I should study more sonnets… I don’t know. Tips?

Also, I’m just going to tag a couple other poets who would enjoy this conversations: @libby @kb-writer

Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

@silverdragon

What an amazing discussion topic! How fun!

I tend to think of poetry as my primary writing “thing”, even though I do love writing. I used to write it simply because it was fun, but I’ve grown to write it for deeper reasons. I write poetry because it is a way God can help me to see the beauty in life. It is often a way for me to speak the truth, address a trouble on my heart, find beauty in the small things in life, and take hold of God’s wonderful gift of the world and our hearts. Many of my poems have been prayers I haven’t been able to verbalize, but I can write it down in poems (don’t ask me how that works, my mind works in reverse sometimes). I’ve also found God uses poetry to speak truth to me later. There have been times when I’ve gone back and reread poems during hard times and been comforted by the truth I find in them. I don’t really think of it so much as me writing poetry as I think God’s writing truth through my gift.

I started with more measured, rhyming poems (I used to even count syllables to make sure they were all the same length!), but I’ve slowly moved to more free-form writing.

That was more rambly than I anticipated. Hope you enjoyed it.

Tagging @evelyn, @h-jones, and @libby, because I know they are all poets too. 🙂

Always remember you're unique...
    ...Just like everyone else

Katherine Baker
    @kb-writer

@evelyn

Haha! We must have been responding at the same time! I wrote my response, and immediately got tagged by you! 🙂

Always remember you're unique...
    ...Just like everyone else

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@kb-writer Same! xD

Anyways, your answer was lovely. 🙂

I think poetry is an art that speaks to us on a whole different level. There’s something about it’s beauty and the raw feelings that go into it that connect to readers. Though, I guess there are other kind of poems too, the happy, the silly ones, which I love to write. Hmm… *muses*

“I’ve also found God uses poetry to speak truth to me later. There have been times when I’ve gone back and reread poems during hard times and been comforted by the truth I find in them. I don’t really think of it so much as me writing poetry as I think God’s writing truth through my gift.”

That’s really neat Katherine. 🙂

One of the things I’ve discovered in writing poetry: I often simplify what I’m going through to just one thought. I’ll just sit down and begin to write free verse just about what comes to mind about the emotions, the hardships I’m going through, and eventually I end up narrowing it down, brushing off the weeds around it, and finding the problem.

Libby
    @libby

@silverdragon @evelyn @kb-writer

Thank you for starting a discussion on this.  I’ve wanted to know for a long time the answers to the questions you asked, and I’m excited to learn about other people.

I write poetry often for the same reasons Katherine does.  A lot of the times I process through writing poetry–thoughts, feelings, emotions–they come out in lines.  At times like those, it feels like I’m raining torrents of words.  Many of my poems are prayers…or just thoughts written to God…or reveal the struggles I go through.  I started out with formal rhythm and rhyming poetry…like Katherine, used to count the syllables and hate every line that didn’t perfectly rhyme.  Now, I have gotten to enjoy freeverse.  I think in some ways, it communicates a message in rawer terms which can be powerful in and of itself.  One other thing I love about poetry is, as Evelyn said, the magic of words that are placed in succession, one after the other, in a pleasing manner.  It enhances messages and gives just a deliciousness to life!  I also love writing poetry to tell stories or about nature.  Just my thoughts.  A lot of them. 😉

Evelyn and Katherine and Silver Dragon–your thoughts are so neat and encourage me so much.  Silver Dragon, I have never tried writing sonnets, but I mean to sometime soon.  Would you mind sharing one with us?

Here are other poets that I think might enjoy this post as well: @h-jones (even though she was already tagged, I claim the right of doing it again because I like her :)) @dakota @wisdomofprose

"Young people, you must pray, for your passions are strong and your wisdom is little."C.H.Spurgeon

Grace
    @h-jones

@kb-writer @libby thank y’all for tagging me!! Yay! Poetry discussion! Also, haha, thank you Libby! I like you too <3

Why I Write It: Because I like it. 😉 Also, maybe, to creatively portray what goes inside my head and heart, or to use it as a practice in similes and metaphors, as well as rhythm, rhyme, and verse.

Why Magic It Holds For Me: Lots of it, to be sure, though I’m not sure I can really explain why I like it. I think when I was younger, I liked it because I’m kind of musically inclined and the rhythm and rhyme was always appealing to me, but now that I’m older it’s probably just because it sounds mysterious and I like mysterious. xD I think it’s just the magic of words, really. And rhythm. And all the amazing things God gave us. As beings created by an artist Creator, we can learn to recognize artistry when it’s presented to us, and I think that’s why I like it. Or not. I don’t know, I haven’t really thought about this much ironically. xDD

What Form Do I Prefer: ALL OF THEM. I think it isn’t necessarily the pattern so much as the meaning behind it for me – I don’t have a preferred rhythm, just a preferred feeling. Ggggh. I just love poetry, in general. My goodness. It’s awesome. <3 Though, I will say I admire rhyming poetry over free verse just because it’s so much harder to write. Especially since, typically, it has to be spot-on when it comes to rhythm. Those poets have a lot of skill *coughWilliamWordsworthcough.* I envy their ability :u

My favorite poet of all time would have to be William Wordsworth, also. “Simon Lee” and “I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud.” Be still, my heart.

As far as sonnets go: what are they?

Secretly Hedgehog Jones. Don’t tell anyone.

I, David
      @i-david

@silver-dragon “Hello there!”

I write because it’s a different way for me to communicate and often express my thoughts and feelings. It’s both similar to and very different to writing fiction.

And it in regards to magic, it allows me to shoot fireballs when I speak it aloud. So that’s cool.

I’m not really sure about form. I just write down what’s in my head while trying to make sure it rhymes and flows well.

It’s cool to see so many other people who like poetry so much.

Four
      INFP
      songwriter

Evelyn
      @evelyn

@libby I’m glad this has been encouraging to you – this has been encouraging to me as well! 🙂

@i-david

“And it in regards to magic, it allows me to shoot fireballs when I speak it aloud. So that’s cool.”

Dude!

No fair – no fair!!

😉

WisdomOfProse
      @wisdomofprose

@libby

Thank you for tagging me, Libby! I meant to reply earlier but didn’t get the time!

I haven’t written a full poem, actually, in a while, but I would love to go back to doing it! I write a a stanza here and a couplet there, but I haven’t finished one in a while. I love reading poetry, though, when I get to. There’s something about poetry that’s different from all other styles of writing. It’s like it’s meant to be rolled about in your mouth before being swallowed (yes, that’s a simile 🙂 hahaha!). Poems that are prayers are also so beautiful!

https://delightfullyimagin.wixsite.com/shirarodriguez

SilverDragon
        @silverdragon

@evelyn

@h- jones

The sonnet is 14 lines: each set of four lines alternates rhyme, I.e.

‘I see the the sun setting,

Turning golden red,

It makes me start a-fretting,

And gruesome thoughts run in my head.’

All three sets don’t need the same rhyme.

Lines 13 & 14 don’t have to rhyme with each other or the previous line as far as I know.

Writing sonnets is a word game: pick a subject that lends itself to rhyming (i.e. don’t write about an orange unless it occurs in the last two lines), and make sure you know lots of words that have rhymes, or be creative. ‘Fog, log, bog, hog’

Pain, gain, refrain, again, fein, dein’ Etc.

I’ll post examples when possible.

And remember too that sometimes an unexpected word will be the perfect word, so be open to the different. You may not be able to convey what you wanted in the way you wanted, but maybe the way you weren’t expecting was the better way after all.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by SilverDragon.

The local invisible dapper dude who likes freaking people out by lifting his hat.

SilverDragon
        @silverdragon

Here’s one of my newest sonnets:

<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Dangers of Hunting</span>

The fog flows around me,

Engulfing the world in opal white;

I step carefully, unable to see

The trees beyond my rifle sights.

A slip and a tumble,

Madly I grab at the roots

As small rocks rumble down

Into the ravine beneath my boots

I shudder as the fog lifts-

The stream far below twinkles;

The hundred-foot fall I barely missed

Will add some old-man wrinkles.

I pull myself up, brush off the dirt,

And continue on my hunt.

Evelyn
        @evelyn

@silverdragon Interesting!

I thought a sonnet was more restrictive but I guess I was thinking about the Italian and Shakespearean styles that @e-b-raulands showed me.

(A poet who would be interested in this conversation and who I should have tagged earlier! 😛 )

Nice poem though! I enjoyed it.

Dakota
        @dakota

@libby   Thanks for tagging me!

@silverdragon
          For me, writing poetry started out as a way to express my emotions and how my Heavenly Father was working in my life during those times. Through the years, it became to praise Him, thanks Him for all of his goodness, and commit to live my life for Him. I’ve also dabbled in poetry with themes of nature, horses ( my personal weakness) and others. But usually, I’ll end such pieces with a contextual mention of Him. My main goal is to honor Him and edify others and I hope to do my best. Ultimately, all that really matters in life is Him and how we’ve honored Him in our lives.

Psalm 119:11
        Your word I have hidden in my heart,
        That I might not sin against You.

Evelyn
        @evelyn

This week, I found this quote as I was reading Hans Christian Anderson’s Fairy Tales that made me laugh and wanted to share it with you all.
        Here it is, from “The Goloshes of Fortune,” one of his short stories:

“Yes, people write poems when they are in love, but a wise man will not print them.”

Also, another little piece I found was the first sentence of one of his other short stories that made me smile:

“Once upon a time there was an old poet, one of those right good old poets.”

Have you guys ever written love poetry? How did that turn out? xD
        And what do you think makes a “right good old poet”?

@dakota
         @silverdragon @wisdomofprose @i-david @libby @h-jones @kb-writer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest