fb

The # Pillars of Writing in a Series

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions The # Pillars of Writing in a Series

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Linyang Zhang
    @devastate-lasting

So, considering that almost every book I’m planning to write is in a series…it’s high time that I asked this question.

So, you know like the three pillars of writing? (Plot, characters, theme)

So would I have an overarching plot, an overarching character arc, and an overarching theme through the series, along with a plot, character arc, and separate theme for each book, or would I just have the separate individual pillars for each book, or just one for the series, or is it different for each pillar?

And does anyone have any advice to do this?

"I set a melody upon the scenery I saw outside my window;
    It's beginning in my spacy world."
    - TK

Samuel
    @samuel

@devastate-lasting I think in a series, such as a trilogy, there CAN be a plot, them and char arc that spans all three books, but generally, I think, there is also a smaller version, per se, of each one. For example in Chris Columbus’¬†House of Secrets¬†trilogy, there is a structure to each one, a climax and everything, but it is still part of a series. But there doesn’t usually have to be overarching aspects, but there can be. And usually the last book will make it clear that it’s final, that the story is completely over.

No one reads these anyway

Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

@devastate-lasting I’d do a different plot structure for each book in the series. The plot would hopefully have some common threads for the whole series, but I’d fill out your plot points for individual books as opposed to the whole stories.

Theme & character arc are more flexible IMO. Some series have one overarching theme and character arc. Some have different themes & arcs for each book of the series. My personal favorite approach is to have an overarching theme for the whole series, but to explore specific facets of the theme in each of the different book with character arcs to match so that each book has some completeness. But again, I think there are a number of ways you can do this effectively.

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Linyang Zhang
    @devastate-lasting

@samuel @josiah Thank you guys both. So…I think I’ll go with having overarching character arcs, separate plot but part of the same plot, and have separate themes….Thank you!

"I set a melody upon the scenery I saw outside my window;
    It's beginning in my spacy world."
    - TK

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.