fb

The Personality of a Character

Forums Fiction Characters The Personality of a Character

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

My apologies, the Tags didn’t fill like serving me right now. I had to discipline them. *grins*

@emgc
    @theinconceivable

Random Stranger: "What do you want to do when you grow up?"
    Me: "Write every inch of your future."

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

Oh, the one Tag made a very foolish decision in trying to disobey me again. Xd

@theinconceivable1

E. Grace
    @emgc

@andrew

Thanks. 🙂

"True humility is not thinking less of yourself; it is thinking of yourself less." - C. S. Lewis

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

Jumping in! Caveat that’s hopefully not needed that I’m not endorsing real-world magic or divination or whatever, but I used a tarot-inspired deck of cards my friend designed to generate random character archetype traits for a realitypunk story (Neil Gaiman and Roger Zelazny).

I shuffled the cards and drew a hand of cards until I reached a face or joker card. I added the digits of the non-faces and threw them into a numerology thing which generated a personality type, added the archetype described on the face card, and finally rolled a random d16 and used that for a Myers-Briggs type and attached the archetype from 16personalities.

Here’s the sheet I came up with.

Not sure exactly where I’m gonna go from here, but it definitely sparked some interesting character ideas for me!

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@taylorclogston, oh, interesting. *clasps hands together and grins*

I don’t play cards much, but what you’re doing sounds like a cool idea.

So… what about this realitypunk story (is that a genre or something?) Did you just recently come up with this story, or have you been working on it for a long time now?

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@andrew I just realized my parenthetical in the last post didn’t really explain anything =P I think there’s probably another, real name for it, but it’s a genre of fantasy which usually involves alternate magical worlds (could be artificial like in The Matrix or Myst or Inception, could be a “this is the real unseen world” like in Dr. Strange or The Chronicles of Amber or Keys to the Kingdom) in which the enlightened characters have power to alter the world, either by a “system” or just by thinking about it.

Protagonists are usually either weak mortals in a world where their wits are their only asset or demigod royalty, manipulating extremely competent people who are usually their family members or otherwise their equals.

Not really sure where I’m going with the story. At the moment I’m trying to figure out if there’s a niche on Amazon I could sell this to =P

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

Oh, okay. 🙂 Is it in this town, city, etc… where a mysterious, mystical group of beings are going back and forth between different worlds? I think I may know what you’re talking about. The first time I read ‘realitypunk,’ I was thinking it may be something related to steampunk or some virtual reality story.

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@andrew It kind of depends, I guess? Like, Matrix definitely falls in this category, and in that there’s a real world and an artificial world, and you jump temporarily into the artificial one but the only way the artificial one can affect the real one is by someone dying while in the artificial one (ignoring movie three of course ;P ).

Then there’s Chronicles of Amber, where there are infinite worlds that are shades of each other, but each is described by its closeness to Amber, the city of which all other cities are only shadows. The royal family of Amber jump from world to world to make alliances and do their nefarious bidding (the main character Corwin hides his legendary sword Grayswandir in one specific spot in one specific world that no one could just randomly walk into, and he can get to that world by making tiny alterations to the world he’s in until it’s the world he wants to be in, and he can also look for a world where the people of it happen to have a prophesy that someone exactly like him is their god, and so he goes to that world and tells them all their god requires their service for a holy war, and BAM, he has an army).

What I’m planning is much closer to the second one =P

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@taylorclogston Oh, now I really want to read the book!

Your story sounds pretty interesting too! 🙂 Are you planning on having this a novella, novel, etc., or is this like a series or something?

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@andrew Roger Zelazny is the author. I highly recommend not only his Amber series but his other books too! Lots of political intrigue that’s like a Euro fantasy version of the Greco-Roman gods bickering and fighting, but with less “take it out on the mortals who get involved.”

Mine might be any of the three. Series of novels sell the best, but I have a lot of trouble writing anything longer than a novella, not to mention conceiving of story structure that works for more than a single book =P I’d ask what you’re writing but I’ve read all about it on these forums, haha.

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@taylorclogston, oh, okay. I tend to write more novellas too… I once wrote a story around 120 pages long, but that story ended HORRIFIC!

His Bard
    @his-bard

As an INTJ, I feel like many writers tend to make villains of that type a bit stereotypical, personally. We are in the top three rarest personalities, and I daresay probably the most complex and misunderstood types. Without knowing anything about your story, the only tips I can really give you is study our type very thoroughly.

To the outside world, we can have souls of ice, hearts of stone, and stomachs of iron. Down inside, our emotions can compare to any xxFx type.

And just in case anyone was wondering, we aren’t all mini-Sherlock Holmes 😉

Spoken words are forgotten. Written word lasts forever. Writers are the most powerful mortals to exist.

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@his-bard, okay, thanks. 🙂

My sister Hope Ann is an INTJ; and possible one of my brothers, though they all say he’s an extrovert; he could possible be an extrovert though, but for some reason he seems more like an extroverted introvert. I’m not sure. Anyways, yes, INTJs are one of the rarest types… and I’ll do my best to avoid stereotypes. I smash stereotypes to pieces. Xd

I hope I don’t come off as proud or anything saying this, but I  have been doing a lot better recently at studying closely the personality types. And about the mini-Sherlock Holmes… *laughs*

Anyway, thanks for the advice!

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest