fb

The Most Important Part Of My Story

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions The Most Important Part Of My Story

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    claire
    @claire-h

@katja-r
    No problem! Sounds good.
    Yes, option 2 is what I was thinking. I mean we could also mention some examples of what NOT to do in Christian movies, but just as a reference for what TO do. Not for the purpose of complaining. 😉

a flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it.
    it just blooms.

Mel
    @melodyjoy

@katja-r @claire-h @arindown

So as you scroll through the comments you may notice that I haven’t been in this discussion but hey I am joining now! haha.

@katja-r
     @arindown

So Grace, you were saying how you have a vision to write books that subtly point people to Christ. For me, I have recently been thinking, (like Katja was saying, not all of my books are necessarily going to mention God but they will be clean to a point that hopefully they can point people to Christ.) But I was thinking, if I can write a book without God mentioned in the story but make it so well written that people would remember that book and want to read other books that are written by me, I could have published (hopefully someday) a book that will have God that will directly point readers to Him and so in so publishing both types of books I can “kill two birds with one stone” if you know what I am getting at here… 😀

@katja-r

Yes! I noticed that in Star Wars too!

@arindown
    @katja-r

Sometimes I have this super cool story line in movie form in my brain. Like I can see a “movie” of this plot line in my head. And then I struggle getting it down on paper. I think it would be VERY cool, awesome, and fun to write movie scripts BUT I don’t think I could ever make that become a reality. 😀

@katja-r
    @claire-h @arindown

So we own this movie called The Game and it is about this girl who learns how to play chess and a bunch of other things (that’s not the point of me mentioning this). In the movie her grandma dies and the little girl (9 maybe) starts thinking about where she would go when she died. Unfortunately (I don’t think the movie was Christian but…) they had her in one scene ask her dad what would happen to her when she died and where she would go and her dad responds “don’t worry about it honey. I just don’t know.” To me that was very sad because although it is a fake story and just a movie, there are so many people out there searching for answers about stuff like this. And WE can be the ones to point them to Jesus. Through books and movies and whatever else.

I just wanted to share that with you and get you thinking about that too :D.

-Mel

PS thanks for inviting me to this discussion. it is very important 😀

Life is short, smile while you still have teeth!

Katja R
    @katja-r

@claire-h

Sounds good! I’ll start the discussion and tag you, @arindown, @beth20, and @melodyjoy.

Let me know if anyone else comes up with topics you want to be discussed on this new page.

-Katja

If you think you are too small to make a difference, try living with a mosquito.

Katja R
    @katja-r

@melodyjoy

Wow! Yes. That’s kinda sad that the movie said that. And yeah, we really should be the ones pointing people to Christ, but we don’t do it as often as we should. Thanks for sharing.

-Katja

If you think you are too small to make a difference, try living with a mosquito.

Emberynus The Dragonslayer
    @emberynus-the-dragonslayer

@arindown

Hey, am I allowed to join this thread?

I love your forum tag btw! It’s kinda like my personal motto

Sold souls and dead promises

Katja R
    @katja-r

Haha, go ahead and join. This wasn’t meant for just @melodyjoy @claire-h @arindown and me. We’d love to hear your thoughts as well!

I love Grace’s saying too! It’s really good!

This discussion kinda got off topic as in what Grace said we should talk about. 😀 So feel free to try to get it back.

-Katja

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

Totally, you can join. I’d love to hear some of your ideas.😊

@katja-r

I’m flattered that you guys like my forum tag.😄 I believe my character Kyerin (my favourite character of all time😆) said it…but I’m not sure.

Not all those who wander are lost.

Katja R
    @katja-r

@arindown @emberynus-the-dragonslayer

Lol, I seriously had to go back to the first page to remember what this discussion was about. 😀

-Katja

Jessi Rae
    @jessi-rae

@arindown

I also want to write (and act in) movies someday! Screenwriting is quite the format, though, and before I tackle it I’d like to get better at writing books and short stories.

I have that same issue you mentioned earlier–forgetting why I’m writing in the first place because of spending so much time trying to create the perfect plot, greatest characters, and most amazing and vivid settings. In fact, I’m currently in a bit of a rut where writing is a chore because of my perfectionism, and I’m trying to learn to write for fun so I can rediscover the joy of writing.

While I believe I personally need to write for myself before I can write for my future readers, my goal is to create an entertaining tale with life-affirming, hope-restoring values that point to Christ. Being too much of a literalist, subtlety isn’t one of my strong points… But it’s something I intend to work on.

I adore themes of Faith, Hope, and Love, and also tend to gravitate towards themes of Identity in Christ (the trick, of course, is for those themes to be done properly! 😛 ).

I think the one thing I want readers to remember from my stories someday is they (the reader) have value, and there’s a reason to live (that reason being the Source of their value–Jesus Christ.)

"How did I escape? With difficulty. How did I plan this moment? With pleasure."

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@jessi-rae

Wow, you made that sound so simple…I agree with you in every way. I especially was happy when you said you needed to write for yourself before you can write for other people. So true. I keep a personal “blog” that I don’t share with anyone but my siblings, and I write for myself on that. And, I also keep a journal that is just for me. But my stories are for other people.

How do you write for yourself?

Ruts in stories are hard. I just made it through a never-ending Chapter 21 in my story. I just couldn’t get past that chapter for the longest time.

Some of the best advice I’ve heard for ruts and perfectionism is from S.D. Smith, who said (Gracie paraphrase) “Force yourself to sit down and write something horrible…but just write something.” And from Donald Miller (author/marketing guy) who emphasizes that everyone’s first draft is really terrible. It’s just comforting to know successful authors hit ruts and stuff too.

Also…I’m so excited that you like the theme of Identity in Christ!!! I love that in stories! Have you read the Wingfeather Saga? That’s one of the things Andrew Peterson does best in that story is emphasis who we are, especially when Kalmar keeps having to remind himself, “I am Kalmar Wingfeather, son of the High King of Anniera.” I plan to to use that theme in my “masterpiece” story.

Are you using it in your story (btw I looked at your profile page, and your story looks really interesting…I’d love to hear more about it).

Not all those who wander are lost.

Jessi Rae
    @jessi-rae

@arindown

That’s cool! 😀 I’m waiting to start a blog until I know what message I want to tell exactly, and I do try to journal sometimes–it’s more sporadic though because usually I can’t think of what to write.

Writing for myself usually takes the form of characters and themes close to my own internal struggles, and things get so intertwined I’m trying to work out potential solutions for both my characters and myself at the same time.

Congratulations on getting through that chapter!

Thanks for the advice. 🙂 I’m not actually writing right now because I’m trying something different; I’m trying to plan enough so I know which direction I’m going, but not too much or I’ll get bored.

Yes, I LOVE the Wingfeather Saga! I read the first three books several years ago, and recently listened to Andrew Peterson’s read-along nights for the first two books. I’d forgotten how much I adore that story, and I really wish I’d read the fourth one! (Now I have to wait to get enough money to buy them all! *sobs*) Ooh, what’s your “masterpiece” story about?

Yep! That theme has been popping up in almost every story I’ve started for the past five years maybe. (Thanks! That story got too big and complicated it fell apart, so I need to rebuild it from the ground up (even I don’t know what it’s about anymore XP). Currently I’m working on a loose retelling of a fairytale called “The Wounded Lion.”)

"How did I escape? With difficulty. How did I plan this moment? With pleasure."

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest