fb

The Most Important Part Of My Story

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions The Most Important Part Of My Story

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

Hi Guys,

Sometimes I spend so much time trying to come up with the perfect plot, and the greatest characters, and an amazing setting that I forget about why I’m writing in the first place.

I’m writing for my readers. I’m trying to tell them a story that will hopefully change them in a positive way. And, as a Christian, I’m ultimately trying to point them to Christ.

What themes have spoken to you in books you’ve read? And…

If there was one thing you wanted your readers to remember from your story, what would it be?

Not all those who wander are lost.

Katja R
    @katja-r

@arindown

Hey Grace,

I agree. It can be easy to spend so much time planning but then when you write you aren’t getting your plan down. One thing that helps me to constantly be reminded about my readers is to have people read my stories. I have some friends that get my chapters right when I’m finished. I write my next chapter and send it to them, not worrying if I have grammar errors or random mistakes. This helps me get my readers point of view and when they read it, they see it without any fixes and can help me make it better for my future readers.

When I’m writing, I want my readers to be able to relate with my characters even if the story is placed in the 1700’s or if it’s a fantasy story. I want my readers to feel what my characters are feeling and learn the lessons my characters learn. So I guess one thing I would want my readers to remember from my story would be practical lessons they learn from my characters. I want them to be able to see things for what they are and not make mistakes that others have made.

I guess my passion for writing is two different things. One is to write books that lead people to the Lord and then secondly, books that don’t use bad language or have any inappropriate behavior but don’t necessarily have any “religion” in them. I have some of both right now. So what I would want my readers to remember would be dependent on the type of book I wrote.

-Katja

If you think you are too small to make a difference, try living with a mosquito.

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@katja-r

I totally agree. For me, I’ve have this vision to write books that lots of people read, but that also subtly point people to Christ. For example, if the main theme in a story is Trust, or Hope, or Loyalty, those can point people to Jesus even if He isn’t “part” of the story.

One of my crazy dreams is to produce clean action movies when I grow up. Movies that rival Disney (which of course includes Marvel and Pixar), but that can be enjoyed without having to skip parts or remind my younger siblings “not to repeat that.”

Do you have any books that you are like, “Wow, I want to write like that.”?

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

I think one of the biggest themes in a story that spoke to me was Frodo’s journey in Lord of the Rings. Especially in the movie, how it showed his innocence being wrecked by the ring, and how he kept fighting, because it would save everyone else. I love that part because, to me, it’s a picture of Jesus. How, even though Christ was totally innocent, He took our sin and our guilt, and let it kill Him…to save us.

Katja R
    @katja-r

@arindown

Oh my goodness!! I can’t believe this. I’ve wanted to write movies too!!!!!! I was talking with my brother, who is a professional cinematographer, and he said I could help him right a teleplay sometime. He wants to produce good movies as well, so he was like, we could work together. You don’t know how happy you made me when I found out someone else shares the same dream as me.

Not necessarily. Mostly when I read I just pay attention to certain ways that the authors wrote and try to duplicate some things they have done. I haven’t really read more than like a series from one author. I’m always jumping around with different authors. I don’t know if that makes sense, but yeah, that’s the way I am.

-Katja

If you think you are too small to make a difference, try living with a mosquito.

Katja R
    @katja-r

@arindown

I’ve kinda noticed that as much as books and movies try to hide it, that they often have some divine being, or someone who reminds me of God or Jesus. One thing that was kinda funny was how Star Wars had The Force and like the force was really powerful and someone was in charge of it or something along those lines and how it reminded me a little of God. Like how they couldn’t see the force but it was powerful and I don’t know why but it just reminded me a little about God.

I’ve seen other movies and books that try to hide God but He is still shown even if it’s not directly mentioned. I just think it’s really amazing that God can still be seen even when people aren’t trying to show him.

-Katja

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@katja-r

That is so cool that you want to do movies too! I totally just want to make awesome movies that people love…that don’t push modern “ideas” that mess with what God set up. Maybe in a couple years I’ll be watching your movies that you made with your brother.😄Have you seen Beyond The Mask by Burns Family Studios? I think their budget was around 1 million…and they made this great action film about an assassin who learns about redemption. If you haven’t seen it, you should totally check it out.

Also, I know what you mean about having God in things, but nobody really meaning to. I love it how God is so undeniably there, even when we don’t see Him.😊 My favourite example of that is Lord of the Rings. It wasn’t supposed to be a Christian movie…but it’s packed with Christian themes that are so cleverly placed that not even the movie producers could separate it.😄

Katja R
    @katja-r

@arindown

Hey Grace,

I doubt it’d be so soon, but hey that’s an idea. 😀 I would totally love if it could be. He is working on the funding and crew for a documentary about the hymn “I Wonder Have I Done My Best For Jesus”. He said I might be able to help him with that, so maybe you will see something from us. 🙂

My brother actually met someone who was on the crew for Beyond The Mask. I will check it out.

Yes, I agree.

I am going to start that name thread in a bit.

-Katja

claire
    @claire-h

@melodyjoy @katja-r

Ah, I’m loving this discussion so much!! The need for good films is definitely out there. I would love to be part of making a good movie.

Ooh, Beyond the Mask is one of my favorite movies! We for sure need more like it… It makes me really sad watching some of the “Christian” movies out there that mainly just push love and faith without tackling some of the harder issues. Sorry I’m getting off topic, I just wanted to say my piece about movies, lol. 😀

a flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it.
    it just blooms.

Katja R
    @katja-r

@claire-h @arindown

We should all write one together. 😀 It would be fun!!

I haven’t seen Beyond the Mask but I will watch it later.

I know! A lot of the so called “Christian” movies aren’t even very Christ-like. I really agree with you Claire! Hardly any “Christian” movies discuss topics that would really help people. I really want to write movies that people can watch and be helped by them. Not only to Christians but unsaved people too. I don’t want it to be like roll your eyes Christianity though.

This is an good discussion!! 😉

-Katja

claire
    @claire-h

@katja-r

Haha, yes that would be a blast! I agree completely with your views. We should start a Christian movie discussion!

it just blooms.

Katja R
    @katja-r

@claire-h @arindown

It would be so fun!!

Yeah we should keep up this topic!

I guess I’ll ask. Are you wanting me to start the discussion? 😀

-Katja

claire
    @claire-h

@katja-r
    Not necessarily… I can start it if you’d like. 🙂 But I won’t be able to get around to it until tomorrow.

it just blooms.

Katja R
    @katja-r

@claire-h

I can do it tonight. If I can write up a good introduction. 😉 I don’t really care. Just let me know.

-Katja

Katja R
    @katja-r

@claire-h @arindown @melodyjoy @beth20

Wait. What exactly would we talk about in this discussion?

1. Are we just going to complain about how Christian movies aren’t good?

Or

2. Are we going to to discuss movies that we’ve seen, how they help us, how they can help us with writing our characters, things they could have maybe done better, movie suggestions, movies that portrayed a character really well, etc…

I think number two, but I just want to make sure we are all on the same page. (ok and no, don’t take the pun. I couldn’t think of anything else to say.)

Oh, and let me know any other topics you would wan’t discussed.

-Katja

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest