fb

The Middle of the Book

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions The Middle of the Book

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Thomas (CrØss_Bl₳de)
    @thewirelessblade

Hi there,

I’m coming up to the middle of my book (finally!) and now I’m worried I won’t be able to write a good middle. I know how this book will end, but I’m not sure how to make enough excuses to avoid the end or make it flow.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Thomas.

*Forum Signature here*

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@thewirelessblade This is one of the biggest frustrations writers have. I know I struggle with it.

Are you applying a story structure? Are you using subplots? What changes in the world, the protagonist, and the various characters from the beginning to the end?

Generally the very middle of your book is some kind of turning point where your protagonist receives a new perspective on the big picture or otherwise reaches a point of no return. This may result in them making everything worse for everyone and then needing to fix it, or may result in them deciding they need to take a decisive stand against the antagonist in a way they haven’t before.

And usually some of your subplots and side characters pivot around this point too.

Once you decide how your characters need to change, try to figure out the different ways you need to show that change over the course of the changing. Figure out how many scenes you’ll use to show those ways. Try to combine different characters’ arc points into as few scenes as possible.

Once you figure out how many scenes you’ll use, think of some cool set pieces you can anchor those arcs on. Your genre will determine what these set pieces are. For example, in a fantasy story you might have sword fights, fleeing from the rain into a dark inn full of ruffians, and the finding of magical treasure.

If this wasn’t helpful enough feel free to chime in with more specific information on your story and I’ll try my best to expand.

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@thewirelessblade

I actually just read a lesson on this in YWW yesterday. It’s called “How to avoid sagging middles” or something like that if you want to check it out.

"You can dance with my henchman."

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest