The Inklings Renewed

Forums Fiction Research and Worldbuilding The Inklings Renewed

This topic contains 84 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Veraza Winterknight 3 hours, 15 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 85 total)
  • Author

Hope McClellan
    @hope-mcclellan

@kari-karast Your worlds and take on Faerie and Fey sound absolutely amazing!! That is so imaginative and neat!

@tashah-claymore I like your ideas for volcanic dwarves! I am really drawn to the idea of making art out of half-solid lava. If you’re really interested in using this idea, it may be worth it to look up the different properties, minerals, and resources available at and near volcanic territory.

I’m not exactly sure these jungle dwarves are going anywhere,(well, you had some good ideas Tashah, but Veraza sorry honey but not so much), but I like all of the ideas popping up about desert dwarves! Burrowing underground where it’s cooler, having dark(er) skin, and features like camels such as longer eyelashes, being able to close nostrils, and going without water for long periods of time–I’m liking this a lot!

And for what it’s worth, I like small dragons. OH! What if someone kept dragons like we keep chickens?! It’s a tiny dragon farm! ūüėÄ

There's always a story brewing.

Tashah Claymore
      @tashah-claymore

@hope-mcclellan thanks!  I definitely will need to do some volcano research for sure.

Jungle dwarves . . . I suppose it might depend on what kind of jungle they’re in. ¬†Rainforest jungle? ¬†Tropical jungle? ¬†Some other kind of jungle?

Chicken-sized dragons on a farm like that . . . nice! ¬†Maybe they’d be called Chigons or Drackins or something like that, too. ¬†I think I might use this (if that’s ok with y’all) and make a character who has a Chigon/Drackin/something-like-that farm.

"Everybody wants to change the world but no one, no one wants to die." -My Chemical Romance: Na Na Na

William Norfleet
      @w-o-holmes

@tashah-claymore

I just wrote KD on the spur of the moment by accident and it seemed pretty good, so I did it. ? Don’t ask XD

Also…how about Drothons? -For the chicken/dragon things- Or Drithe(o)ns? OR…be right back.

@hope-mcclellan

On dwarves in deserts/jungles. I think both of these ideas have much potential; I particularly liked the idea of the dwarves tunneling farther down in the sand where it’s cooler. When you first mentioned dwarves in jungles, I immediately pictured a character having a pleasant (surprising, I know. It’s a jungle after all) stroll through the jungle when from around the trunk of a thickly-laiden tree of the vine, a small little creature peeks out. He is about four inches shorter than the character (about man size: the character) and is thickly covered in loose foliage from the passing surroundings. He wears thickly-padded boots of the leather type and his clothes were also of the leather. Dark leather. With straps. Their talk is something like rough muttering under the breath. Their hearing is insensitive. Their movements are distinct and visible yet always made for a purpose and that purpose carried out through means of stealth. Anyway, just a thought. I might use it somewhere…

"Eistret an guol nuurdor ank dohk remna lathlrao."- Uondon of Andim

William Norfleet
      @w-o-holmes

@hope-mcclellan

(well, you had some good ideas Tashah, but Veraza sorry honey but not so much)

KFC!!!!!! Wait. Sorry. Miscalculation. XD!!!!! That’s hilarious.

William Norfleet
      @w-o-holmes

@hope-mcclellan @tashah-claymore @kari-karast

You know, people, this is really great for the little grey cells, yes?

Tashah Claymore
      @tashah-claymore

@w-o-holmes works for me! KD XD

Your idea of the jungle dwarves is really cool!

I like the name Drithens for the dragon/chickens.  Thanks!  I have a few ideas for a name for the Drithen-keeper (if anyone has an idea for a cooler title please let me know).

Kalypso Gili Riya

Amalie Albina Annegret

Chikelu Citlali Anina

Kyriaki NataŇ°a Chiyembekezo

Elif Christel Ignatia

Please let me know also what y’all think of these names and which one I should use. ¬†And feel free to mix and match the various names for a new order if you think that’d be better. ¬†However, I’d like her full name to be three names . . . if that makes sense.

And yes, this chat is amazing for the lovely little masses of grey cells!

"Everybody wants to change the world but no one, no one wants to die." -My Chemical Romance: Na Na Na

Evelyn
      @evelyn

Oh my so much has happened… I don’t think I can catch up but what I’ve read is great and all of you have wonderful ideas! Keep it up! ūüėÄ

Veraza Winterknight
      @kari-karast

@tashah-claymore Thanks! Yeah, I was thinking that it’d probably end up as an alternate reality. The problem is figuring out all the history.

Hm… dragon/hippocampus/goat/cat?

Agreed. I think they might be going into Healing Winds too, actually. I don’t remember.

@hope-mcclellan Thank you!

Heh. Yeah. I just couldn’t get that image out of my head long enough to actually think up anything useful. XD

Yep! We were talking about chicken dragons being kept as pets and such at choir, too, actually. You missed a lot, Tashah

@tashah Do it! Chagon farm! (or whatever you end up calling them XD Drithens is what you said, isn’t it?)

And I like Kalypso Chikelu Riya or Kalypso Chikelu Anina or Kalypso Kyriaki Chikelu. (Eyy shout out for alliteration!)

@w-o-holmes

Yes, it is indeed! All the lil grey cells are enjoying this muchly.

(ENFP) Even the word hopeless is not entirely devoid of hope.

Veraza Winterknight
      @kari-karast

Oh, and I do have a couple a questions.

So in my School of Life and Death snippet series… oh boy. How do I start explaining. So… that’s the modern series. It takes place on modern-day Earth. And it may also turn into my next novel project after my current one is finished. So… in it, the characters are… how do I put this… agh idk how to explain. There’s this school that’s sort of hidden from humans. In it, these… people, I don’t know what to call them yet, go to, well, school. They’re all named after things. Like Life, Death, Fire, Space, Time, Strength, Mind, Storm, etc. And they have abilities that have to do with their names. And they’re essentially the… I guess physical embodiments of their ability/name.

So like, if Fire died, then all fire on Earth would go out and there wouldn’t be fire anymore. Does that make sense? So if Humanity died, then all the humans would die out too. Hence why they take great care humans don’t find out about them. Anyways. The embodiments were all created by Universe(who’s basically my version of God in this story). And there are ‘older’ embodiments who are the teachers. Such as Space, who is Headmistress, Strength, Mind, Humanity, etc. They’re all older than the students agewise, and were given more experience. The students are also different ‘ages’ because that’s how they were created. Some of them being Moon, Sun, the elements, Death, Life, etc. (Yes, I realize some of it makes no sense, but it actually does, it would just require more explaining.)

The question is… I feel like it’d be awkward to have an embodiment for literally everything, and also there’d be waaaaay too many of them. So… any suggestions on how to help that? And also, I originally had the idea that Universe created only a few embodiments at first, and then they eventually married and had kids, who had kids, etc. And the current students are children of the embodiments that last were students, if that makes sense. The problem is, I don’t know how to balance that. Since you’d think Death and Life would be some of the oldest and wouldn’t currently be students. *sigh* Any suggestions on how that could possibly work as well?

That was very complicated and I hope it made sense. If it didn’t, tell me what you didn’t understand and I’ll try to make it clearer.

William Norfleet
      @w-o-holmes

@tashah-claymore

Those names are great for the dragon/chicken/thing keeper. I hate to break y’all’s bubble, but Kalypso is practically the same as Calypso *pirates of the caribbean* I like the last two name for that, though. And the last one.

@kari-karast

Maybe some of the thing/embodiments embody more than one thing? This seems cool. ūüôā Like what if Death or Life died? That’d be weird.

Veraza Winterknight
      @kari-karast

@w-o-holmes

Hm… that might work. It’d be a bit awkward with the names, but it could work. I mean, some of the names are already awkward. XD I have been thinking having some of them be encompassing, like how there’s different types of fruit, but there’d only be one person for fruit instead of one for each kind. I could even go further and just do one for food in general, although that could get complicated.

Thanks. And yeah. If Death died, then no one could die. And if Life died, then… everything alive would die. So yep. The good news is Life can bring Death back to life. XD

William Norfleet
      @w-o-holmes

@kari-karast

XD! Now that’s a new one; Life can bring Death back to life.

@kari-karast @hope-mcclellan @tashah-claymore @evelyn @anyone-else-who-would-care

So, we’ve briefly breached the realms of the dwarve. That was only really on what type or race of dwarve. Let’s (shall we?) talk now about more of the daily lives of the dwarves? And also legacy of the dwarve?

Veraza Winterknight
      @kari-karast

@w-o-holmes

Yep. XD Death can only kill stuff. Life can only bring stuff back to life. Although both can… sense things about health. Death can sense how close something/somebody is to death, and Life can sense how alive things/people are.

Daily lives… I’d say it depends on the dwarf, what their social position is, and what their job is, and where they live. And what exactly do you mean by legacy?

William Norfleet
      @w-o-holmes

@kari-karast

By legacy, I probably shouldn’t have put that in there, but I felt the need…anyway, I meant the general idea that people think of when they think of dwarves and how that might change in the future. Like this: When they think of dwarves do they think of the dwarves from the Hobbit? Not actually much to talk about. But still…

Veraza Winterknight
      @kari-karast

@w-o-holmes

Ah. That make sense.

I don’t think of Tolkien’s dwarves normally. Although since I rewatched half of the Two Towers last night they are pretty foremost in my mind rn. Heh.

I do think of the dwarven stereotypes, though. Good at metalworking, short, tough, beards, like darkness and living underground and in mountains. Etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 85 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest