The Inklings Renewed

Forums Fiction Research and Worldbuilding The Inklings Renewed

This topic contains 84 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Veraza Winterknight 2 hours, 50 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 85 total)
  • Author

Tashah Claymore
    @tashah-claymore

@kari-karast

Ah, that makes sense.  I don’t know how many of mine I’m officially working on.  *thumps your back to hopefully stop your choking*

*shoves plush bricks towards you* They won’t bite.

"Everybody wants to change the world but no one, no one wants to die." -My Chemical Romance: Na Na Na

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@tashah-claymore

Heh. I have so many random docs with random snippets of things that aren’t actually related to any of my projects… *facedesks*

*stops choking but now has a sore back*

*picks up plush bricks gingerly then uses them as pillows and takes a nap*

(ENFP) Even the word hopeless is not entirely devoid of hope.

Tashah Claymore
    @tashah-claymore

@kari-karast

I just have a whole bunch of projects in varying degrees of development.

You must have a tender back because I wasn’t thumping that hard.   But I won’t disturb your nap.

"Everybody wants to change the world but no one, no one wants to die." -My Chemical Romance: Na Na Na

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@tashah-claymore

Yep.

*doesn’t have a tender back but has back problems in general, so…*

Tashah Claymore
    @tashah-claymore

@kari-karast

*oof*

Hope McClellan
    @hope-mcclellan

Okay, @tashah-claymore and @kari-karast, you two are hilarious together. XD And I LOVE @tashah-claymore ‘s idea for heat-tolerant dwarves! I like to think that any species can adapt to any sort of environment, given the clan is there for a number of generations.

Also, I am totally digging the idea of dwarves in trees. I’m thinking a clan of dwarves creating their own swamp village. They make their houses in the trees and build bridges between the trees/buildings. And they LIVE like this.  Oh idea! Perhaps the rich people of the village are actually the farmers, because (I’m assuming) food is scarce in the swamp, so one would have to travel far or have a large enterprise to be able to export food to the village. A clan of dwarves who live in the trees in a swamp–this brings up so many possibilities! I am totally adding this to my world!! AHHHHHH!!!!!

*deep breath*

Heh heh, I got a wee bit excited there.

Anywho, @w-o-holmes, I quite like your thoughts on creating a relatable environment and how that has turned into so many cliches. I personally think it’s silly to assign a specific ability, like blacksmithing (is that a word? Eh, I’m a writer. We invent words all the time.) with a species like dwarves. Just like in the real world, some people will have natural talents for one thing, and others won’t.

Some abilities and talents, though, can be assumed through the culture of the species, or even the specific village. A village could be really well known for their pottery. In my world, Centaurs are known for making and having rugs. For me this is because in a house, horse hooves need something to grip onto. I considered having grass, but it would die with no sunlight, and who wants bugs in their house? So I came up with rugs. In every room centaurs have rugs. In showier rooms they have more expensive and ornate rugs, and in common rooms are the old and worn-down rugs. In any village you go to, if it has centaurs in it, you will hear the sound of them beating the dust and dirt out of their rugs (because this is before vacuums). This is one of those small and realistic world-building details that I love to use. In this instance, rug-weaving is associated with centaurs because it is a part of their culture. But this can apply to dwarves and any other species, and like I said before, not just within culture, but with specific villages and clans, too.

But I say dwarves can and should live in mountains…and plains…and the countryside, and cities, and the snowy tundra, or even the desert, or volcanic climate, or anywhere! The opportunities available for any one of those possibilities are endless!

Man this gets me so excited! That was a lot, but please share thoughts!

There's always a story brewing.

Tashah Claymore
      @tashah-claymore

@hope-mcclellan yeah, @kari-karast and I know each other from homeschool choir where we live.  Hilarity is bound to happen.  Plus, we’re both crazy writers and have other crazy writer friends. XD

Your swamp dwarves (Can I call them that?) sound really cool!  I love the idea, especially since it’s SO DIFFERENT from the typical mountain dwarves.  It’s even drastically different from my plains/volcanic dwarves.  The centaurs with rugs are awesome, too.

I feel like any Race can live in any climate, just so long as it’s normal in that particular story.  Like in LotR it would be extremely weird to see Elves living in the mountains, but in someone else’s story/world that could be perfectly normal.

William Norfleet
      @w-o-holmes

@hope-mcclellan

That’s a great idea! ON CENTAURS: The centaurs I use usually – in the much earlier history – lived in lush valleys toward the north. Now they are more of a myth among the peoples. Talk and tell of them is very rare. I like your rugs! The dwarves are great chefs (among other things) and the gnomes are known for their skill in the arts.

Oh, your dwarve idea (great idea btw!) reminds me of @daeus-lamb‘s website. He shows some really interesting things on there.

Innovation, people! I like it! 🙂 KD

@tashah-claymore

You know, I just remembered in the Hobbit *book* the elven king and his people lived in a mountainous-like thing. Am I right? Or just fantasizing…?

"Eistret an guol nuurdor ank dohk remna lathlrao."- Uondon of Andim

Tashah Claymore
      @tashah-claymore

@w-o-holmes

Actually, you’re right.  I had to go re-read some of it to remember, but yes some of Tolkien’s Elves lived in a network of caves.  Talking about the Elves: “In a great cave some miles within the edge of Mirkwood on its eastern side there lived at this time their greatest king.  Before his huge doors of stone a river ran out of the heights of the forest and flowed on and out into the marshes at the feet of the high wooded lands.  This great cave, from which countless smaller ones opened out on every side, wound far underground and had many passages and wide halls; but it was lighter and more wholesome than any goblin-dwelling, and neither so deep nor so dangerous.”

Also, just curious, what does “KD” stand for?  I know “XD” is a big smile, but I’m not familiar with “KD.”

Veraza Winterknight
      @kari-karast

@hope-mcclellan Yeah. As @tashah-claymore said, we know each other irl and are used to each other’s antics. XD (Well, the antics are mostly mine, but ya know.)

Also, the centaurs with rugs idea sounds pretty cool! And I like the swamp dwarves too.

@w-o-holmes

Yep. The Mirkwood elves’ home in the movies was also created out of stone, at least what I could tell from what was shone on the inside, at least.

~~

Hm… is it bad I have neither dwarves nor centaurs in my stories? XD I have elves, “nymphs”, dragons, Faerie/Fey, and several races of my own making, but no dwarves, centaurs, merpeople, etc. Huh.

Although I did start a flash fiction involving dwarves, centaurs, elves, fairies, and possibly merpeople. So… maybe that counts? idk.

Hope McClellan
      @hope-mcclellan

@tashah-claymore and @kari-karast That’s cool the two of you do a homeschool choir together! I used to be in one, and I adored it. What do you two sing? I am a second soprano, but in two-part harmony I go alto. (sorry, slight divergent from fantasy world-building)

You can totally call them swamp dwarves @tashah-claymore, and thank you for the compliment! I love dispelling of cliches and putting my own spin on things. And I don’t think its all that different from volcanic dwarves. I like your idea a lot! The question of environment is just the first step. Would the dwarves live in the volcano? Nearby? Underground? How do they get access to daily materials such as food and cloth? What would their biggest industry be? Please let me know, because now I’m curious!

It’s this “next step” of worldbuilding that I enjoy so thoroughly! And I agree with what you said, @tashah-claymore, about Races being able to live in any climate so long as it is a commonplace for that story. It really is all about how you deliver it in your story.

@w-o-holmes, your personal mythology on centaurs sounds way cool! And dwarves being skilled in cooking and the arts, what a neat concept! I, too, am loving the innovation ramping up in here!

@kari-karast, dear, it is NOT bad that you don’t have dwarves and centaurs in your story! It’s been said that there are no bad ideas in brainstorming, and the same is true for worldbuilding! I personally think it is super cool that you have Races that you personally have made up! I mean, gurl! Super cool!

Also, this is a brainstorm prompt here, I had an idea last night. What would it look like to have desert dwarves? Jungle dwarves? Thoughts, please!

There's always a story brewing.

Veraza Winterknight
        @kari-karast

@hope-mcclellan Thanks! I’m an alto through and through. I just got back from the first choir practice of this semester, and can I just say… I realllllly want to burn one of the songs. The altos keep having to sing really high on it. *facefloor*

Thank you! I like creating races. And I try to put my own spin on the ones that have been done before. Like, my Faerie/Fey aren’t like Tinkerbell type fairies. They’re closer to elves in looks(and height). And by that I mean fantasy elves, not Santa Claus elves. The Faerie are all pairs of twins. Each pair is the Faerie of something specific. And they generally have powers related to that specific thing. They all live on a single planet, because some of them are so powerful, it could have drastic consequences for the dimensions if they left. They’re ruled by a single King or Queen. The ruler rarely changes, since the Faerie cannot die of age or sickness. They must be killed in battle or have something equally disastrous happen to them. And they can’t procreate. Whenever one dies, another one appears from the twin, if the twin is still living. Otherwise and entirely new set of twins appears.

The Fey are the Faerie that were banished from the Faerie homeworld. Before the Faerie were given the whole specific powers and twins thing, they were basically advanced elves(In a way) with ‘normal’ magic. Some with more… evil tendencies had to be taken care of, so they were banished to Bogren. There, their dark magic was grown, since the planet was created entirely out of darkstone, which enhances dark powers and prohibits ‘good’ magic or makes it go all wacky, I’m still deciding on that. The reason they were banished to that specific planet was because the high quantity of darkstone was used to anchor a spell that prevented anyone from teleporting/portaling off the planet, as well as forever stopping time there. That way they couldn’t procreate either. And since there isn’t any technology there, they can’t escape to wreak havoc.

And… that was a long ramble. I’ll stop now. XD

Desert dwarves… hm. When I think of desert dwarves I think of dwarves that can dig very easily and live in burrows underground. (Kinda like the dwarves from the Artemis Fowl series, except they dig with clawed hands.) Jungle dwarves… sorry. All I’m picturing is dwarves in camo carrying machine guns through a jungle. XD

Tashah Claymore
        @tashah-claymore

@kari-karast it’s not bad at all that you don’t have those Races in your stories!  If a Race doesn’t fit, it doesn’t fit.  It’s your world (or worlds, as the case might be) so you’re not required to put anything in.  Heck, you don’t even have to have gravity if you don’t want it (Gravity…..don’t mean to much to me……*ahem*).

@hope-mcclellan I am a first soprano in homeschool choir, and @kari-karast is an alto.  I can sing both but I usually prefer going high.

Hmmm, with my volcanic/plains dwarves…….I haven’t actually thought about all that stuff yet.  Especially since I got the idea for them only a couple days ago.  But let’s see what I can come up with!

I think my dwarves will live in grassy, potentially hilly (small hills) plains near-ish the volcanoes (there will be more than one but I don’t have an exact number yet).  Their homes would probably be made out of the volcanic rock, and they’d be skilled in making art out of soft-but-not-liquid lava.  Food and cloth…..probably make/grow their own?  Ooh, and they’d be skilled in hunting.  I’ll work on making some sort of fantasy beastie for them to hunt for meat and hides and such.  Also a fantasy beastie for them to ride.  Biggest industry I’m not sure yet.  If you have any ideas for that let me know!

I really like rounding out the fine details of the world/Races/characters as well!  It’s a ton of fun, especially when we can get a fantastic group like this one to talk about it and brainstorm together!

Desert and jungle dwarves would be very interesting.  I feel like the desert dwarves might have darker skin, purely from being out in the sun so much, also a higher resistance to sunburn.  And maybe they’d have a few camel-like traits such as being able to go without water for a long time and being able to close their nostrils so sand doesn’t fly in.  Just an idea.  And with the jungle dwarves, perhaps they’d be experts at camouflage.  They could also live in huge, hollow trees, or underground with tree roots supporting the ceiling/walls.  For some reason I can’t get out of my head the jungle dwarves not wearing shoes.  So maybe barefoot jungle dwarves could be a thing.

Veraza Winterknight
        @kari-karast

@tashah-claymore

Worlds. Yes. Many worlds. XD One of my stories(that’s actually going to be a series eventually hopefully maybe) has tons of different dimensions, although that one’s paused rn. (The one with the Faerie and Fey.)

One of my stories takes place on a lava planet, although that one’s also paused. My novel WIP takes place on a futuristic planet I still can’t decide whether it’s Earth or not. Probably an alternate version of it. All my snippet series except one are medieval fantasy. The other one is modern.

Although all of them have gravity… XD

Ooh. What if you had some type of lizard creature, maybe, for your lava dwarves? I know in my lava world they have giant lizard type creatures they ride and eat. Or maybe something that’s similar to a dragon? Ace actually mentioned chicken sized dragons at choir today. XD

And same! I absolutely love brainstorming races and worldbuilding!

Tashah Claymore
        @tashah-claymore

@kari-karast

Your worlds sound really cool!  Maybe your futuristic one could be Earth in a parallel universe or something like that.

Hmm, maybe I’ll do a cross between a dragon and something else for them to ride.  And then there will be giant lava lizards that live in/on the volcanoes that they hunt and eat.  What should I cross with the dragon?  It doesn’t have to be just one thing; it can be a mixture of 3+ animals/creatures.

Chicken-sized dragons could be extremely hazardous.  And hilarious.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 85 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest