The Inklings Renewed

Forums Fiction Research and Worldbuilding The Inklings Renewed

This topic contains 84 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Veraza Winterknight 3 hours, 16 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 85 total)
  • Author

William Norfleet
    @w-o-holmes

@hope-mcclellan @kari-karast @tashah-claymore @evelyn

@hope, well, I guess with “races” I meant species, but we could also talk of the different races within the species. Another great idea! So yes, I would agree with dwarves and would dare to say this: is it known throughout all here that the true and more interesting way of saying and speaking dwarves in English is indeed dwarves not dwarfs? Because I think that topic should be set in stone (if you’ll pardon the pun).

So. Most people would say that with whatever species you have, you should create for them an environment that suits and seems to relate to them. This is great and all, but I think too many people have taken this advice and now it has become somewhat of a cliche. I would suggest a new take on it. It should be made unique, whatever the case. Yes, maybe dwarves should be placed in the mountains, but why? I’ve looked into this and found it necessary to ALWAYS ask this question when pondering over things like this. So: maybe create a mythology? Or brainstorm and come up with something wholly different?

Another thought; what if the dwarves are partial to the cold? What if they would prefer to live in the trees? Now that is a thought…

"Eistret an guol nuurdor ank dohk remna lathlrao."- Uondon of Andim

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

Ooh these are all good points.

Centaurs are amazing.

And I’m good with talking about dwarves.

And, @w-o-holmes yes, we can all agree that the proper term is dwarves and not dwarfs.

(ENFP) Even the word hopeless is not entirely devoid of hope.

William Norfleet
    @w-o-holmes

@kari-karast

Alright (jest makin’ sue’er).

And yes, centaurs are truly amazing but, unfortunately, not real.

Aislinn Mollisong
    @aislinn-mollisong

-peeks in-

Hi

I have dwarves

They live in mountains. Well, not IN mountains. Near them. In ‘fairy chimneys’ like in Laodecia. But they are more like cretes from The Ilyon Chronicles.

Hero with an overactive imagination

William Norfleet
    @w-o-holmes

@aislinn-mollisong

That sounds great! Uh,,, not exactly sure what fairy chimneys are or their references, soo…? But that still sounds great! What foods do they typically eat?

Tashah Claymore
    @tashah-claymore

As of right now I have no dwarves in any of my stories, but I’d like to add them into one.  Or hey, create another story where dwarves exist.  I get plenty of ideas.  All the time……….wait, I do have a story I can put them in.  Noice.

I think dwarves shouldn’t be only mountain-dwelling.  Yeah, that’s kinda the stereotype with them, but like @w-o-holmes said, what if they lived in trees?

For my story that now has dwarves in it I don’t know exactly what sort of terrain they’ll live in, but I don’t think I’m going to make it mountains, just to be different than the standard dwarf-habitat.  Probably not trees, though.  Maybe trees……..I’ll have to think about it a little.

"Everybody wants to change the world but no one, no one wants to die." -My Chemical Romance: Na Na Na

William Norfleet
    @w-o-holmes

@tashah-claymore

Yeah, I think the dwarves in the trees would be a little dubious. That is, unless they were totally different and it all fit. Maybe they actually like the places the elves like and vice versa.

Tashah Claymore
    @tashah-claymore

@w-o-holmes

I think I might have my dwarves live in hilly plain country near(ish) a volcano (or two, we’ll see).  And then they’d be extremely heat tolerant.  Not tolerant enough to walk around in lava though; that’d be a bit extreme I think.  But they can briefly touch super hot rock (like moderately solidified lava) without burning.

Does that sound like a good idea?  I’m open to suggestions.

"Everybody wants to change the world but no one, no one wants to die." -My Chemical Romance: Na Na Na

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@evelyn And I haven’t seen you in forever either!! *somehow manages to hug back while getting tackled*

How are you? What’ve you been up to, lately?

@aislinn-mollisong Ya need to stop with the references none of us can understand if they’re actually relevant for once. XD Cuz idk what Laodecia is and I haven’t read the Ilyon Chronicles either. (Before you yell at me to read them, they are on the list.)

@tashah-claymore I think that’s a good idea! And it makes sense considered with the fact that almost all dwarves are good blacksmiths. In most stories, anyways. It’d be interesting if there was a story where the dwarves were terrible at making things… hm… *is now getting yet another story idea I don’t need*

Tashah Claymore
    @tashah-claymore

@kari-karast thanks!  I think I’ll have my dwarves be good at making things (especially blacksmith stuff) but they won’t be absolutely stellar at it.  Like they’ll be good but not amazing.

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@tashah-claymore

Nice!

I really want to write something with dwarves that are bad at creating stuff now… argh. *facebricks*

Tashah Claymore
    @tashah-claymore

@kari-karast

That would be a cool idea!

*takes bricks away from you so you don’t injure yourself*

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@tashah-claymore

Yeah… problem is I have enough stories I’m working on already. My main WIP, which is a novel, and then 3 snippets series. Maybe if I just did a quick flashfiction thing…

*pouts* Oy! Those are mine! *is tea genie that’s cursed with immortality, so…*

Tashah Claymore
    @tashah-claymore

@kari-karast

Oh, I have way more story ideas than that.  But yeah, you still probably shouldn’t get another.  Flashfiction you could do, though.

*gives you plush bricks*

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@tashah-claymore

*chokes violently* Oh, deary, nonononono. Those are just the ones I’m working on. And actually there’s 4 snippet series I forgot about one. I have so many story ideas I’m not entirely sure how I come up with them all.

I am trying out a flashfiction rn, actually.

*stares at plush bricks dubiously*

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 85 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest