fb

The Great POV Switch

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions The Great POV Switch

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Allison Grace
    @allison-grace

I’m writing my novel in first person POV. I had this great idea (while doing dishes, all great ideas come doing dishes or getting a shower XD) to switch POVs towards the middle of the book, right after a really major thing happens that flips everyone’s world upside down.

Here’s what I’m thinking:

Prologue: third person POV

Part 1: Aris’ POV (first person)

Part 2: Kare’s POV (first person)

I’m going to clearly label the switch. 🙂

So, my question is, would that annoy you as the reader? To have been with one character throughout half the book, then suddenly something horrid happens and the character narrator switches? I would love your thoughts on this! Thanks in advance!

@gabbyj
    @warrenluther04 @morreafirebird @filewriter

"I cannot live without books." -Thomas Jefferson

WarrenLuther04
    @warrenluther04

@allison-grace Yup. I have random brainwaves too…like in P.E. or playing with my dog. 😀 XD

Honestly, I don’t think it would. I mean, a lot of books out there do that. (I’m actually cowriting a novel like that right now) I don’t think it would be too bad. 🙂

But remember, I’m nowhere near a professional editor or anything. 🙂 This is just my opinion.

House Vizsla, Clan Avis
    Member of the Alliance to Restore the Republic, Phoenix Squadron
    ENFJ-T

Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17

@allison-grace I think it’ll be fine. I’m beta reading a book where each chapter is a different first person POV. I know yours is a little different because most of it is in one person’s POV, but as long as you clearly define who’s POV it is (a common way is labeling chapter title the POV character’s name) I think it should work out. 🙂

"If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write." -Martin Luther
    www.jennaterese.com

Grace Johnson
    @gabbyj

@allison-grace

I actually think that would be pretty cool to switch like that. The only thing that might annoy me as a reader is if I got really attached to Aris, and then suddenly got permanently yanked away. But I think that if you make Kare an interesting character, and if you don’t completely lose track of Aris, that wouldn’t be a problem.

Question: What are their genders?

*Swirls cloak dramatically*

K.M. Small
    @morreafirebird

@allison-grace for the record, I think doing the dishes gives better story ideas than showering, at least for me. All the dialogue comes to me in the shower, when I can’t write it down 😉

I really like the creativity of this idea! My one thought is that it might confuse the reader as to who the story is really about. It also might make the character arcs rather bumpy; if  Aris is presented to the readers with a problem, then she suddenly vanishes and now Kare’s problem is the central focus of the story, it might leave readers feeling dissatisfied and wondering why they invested so much in Aris if she’s not going to be present for the rest of the story. It might make writing a climax difficult too, as the readers will be wondering who has the most at stake/who is the true hero and focus of the story, if that makes sense.

This is all assuming that Aris becomes a periphery character after the midpoint. If she’s still around and being developed as a character through all of Kare’s scenes, then it could work. Though like I mentioned, it might make the climax confusing. You could remedy that by giving Aris a POV again entering the last 25% of the book.

So I think it might be a bit confusing to a reader to do this. However, I really like the idea of changing POVs. Perhaps the characters can alternate chapters, or have a few chapters per POV to even the story out. 🙂

~ Khylie
    "Beauty will save the world." - Dostoevsky

Filewriter
    @filewriter

@allison-grace, sorry it took me a while to get to this. I think it would be great. The only thing that might get confusing is the switch between the first person POVs, so make sure to make it very clear early on. As for if it would be annoying to switch people after something big happens, well, it would probably kill me, so you should definitely do it. Keep your readers reading. 😉 I hope this goes well for you.

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. ~ J. R. R. Tolkien

Allison Grace
    @allison-grace

Thanks everyone! @warrenluther04 @jennywriter17 @gabbyj @morreafirebird @filewriter

After someone asked me why the story needed to be told this way, I realized it probably didn’t. 🙂 So, I don’t think I will do it this time, but your answers certainly were helpful!

Grace, to answer your question, Aris is a girl, Kare is a boy.

Aislinn Mollisong
    @aislinn-mollisong

I’m having a similar problem, except I’m switching up POVs within chapters.

And the whole thing’s in first-person. With both POVs.

It may get confusing.  My question is, is it TOO confusing? I’ve thought about doing their different parts in different fonts, but that doesn’t seem like a good idea. I would do an every-other-chapter thing, with labels, but there are parts within chapters that simply need both perspectives.

Another thing: I haven’t actually started writing from my guys’ POV yet.

Hero with an overactive imagination

Allison Grace
    @allison-grace

@aislinn-mollisong I think it would be. Different fonts could work, but that might be hard to read depending on the fonts you chose.

I’ll ask you the question that got me thinking. Why does this story need to be told this way? You don’t need to tell me if you don’t want to, I just wanted to ask the question. 😀

Aislinn Mollisong
    @aislinn-mollisong

Because….it does. I don’t really know. But the story needs to be told by both of them. (And also, they fall in love, so their developing relationship is told by both of them as well…) I’ve thought about doing only Amber in 1st and Brendan in 3rd, but it really only works the way I have it going. I’m going to have the different POVs separated by little symbol things when they are within chapters, and for the most part I’ll probably only have 1 person narrating per chapter.

@allison-grace

Allison Grace
    @allison-grace

That could work! But maybe you could do like this:

Amber

I love cheeseburgers. I went to the store to get some mustard.

Brendon

I walked my dog to the park.

If that made sense. Then you separate them with the *** and have their name (maybe in italics) just to be sure your readers follow you. 🙂

@aislinn-mollisong

Aislinn Mollisong
    @aislinn-mollisong

You know, that actually might work! Thanks! @allison-grace

Grace Johnson
    @gabbyj

Those sound like cool names, @allison-grace! 😀 I’m glad you figured out your POV. Good luck on your novel!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Grace Johnson.

*Swirls cloak dramatically*

Ariella Newheart
    @ariella-newheart

@allison-grace @aislinn-mollisong I actually have something similar in a series I’m writing. The prologue is in 3rd person, the rest of the book in 1st. In my final book, I switch between the points of view of different people (the MC is in 1st person and the others are in 3rd) but I separate them with barriers. It works very well! 😀

Writer, illustrator, Parimi Alcan

Check out my new blog! https://arbitraryfairy.wordpress.com/

Allison Grace
    @allison-grace

Awesome, @ariella-newheart ! That’s what I’m doing with my prologue! *fistbump*

@aislinn-mollisong
    Awesome!

@gabbyj
    Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest