fb

The Fantasy Writer's Realm

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions The Fantasy Writer's Realm

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@sarah-inkdragon It feels good to know I’m not the only one, but I’m also sorry you have to deal with the same struggles I do. xD
    It mostly comes down to self doubt for me. When I know it’s not going to be any good I have zero motivation to work on it.

@karthmin
    Yay! I love redemption arcs too! I have yet to create a character to go through one, but man, they have the potential to be SO GOOD.

Ooh, Ooh! I have a chosen one in my WIP. Do you have any advice on how to deal with the trope well?? I feel pretty good about where I am with him, but yeah, any thoughts about what I should avoid or aim for would be amazing. (if you’re not too busy! It’s alright if you are. I can probably survive without your insights. 😉 .)

DUDE YOU HAVE TO WATCH THE LAST FEW EPISODES OF AVATAR THE LAST AIRBENDER!!! O:

@eden-anderson
    NOOO *drags you back in here* Eden, it’s okay if your fantasy is different then our fantasies! (Actually though, my current WIP’s main characters are also completely human.) Every writer is different, and because of that every story is gonna be different, and that’s why art and storytelling is fantastic. 😀

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Anonymous

Procrastination is one of my middle names. Maybe I should try small word counts—500 words or 1000.

eden anderson
    @eden-anderson

@sarah-inkdragon

*slinks back in*

Oh fine…who can resist the power of the Inkredible?? 😉

But I totally get why you find fantasy where it’s basically “Medieval people running around with swords” so annoying…because you want to read fantasy, if you wanted to read stuff like that you would go read a history book.

I understand.

And I don’t want to be one of those authors who just annoy their readers…that’s why I said I didn’t belong here…because I can’t write fantasy and if I tried I  would just annoy people.

But, *takes deep breath* I guess that doesn’t mean I can’t learn to write at least decently good fantasy.

So, what are some things that you would recommend beginning fantasy writers to do?

If you don’t mind me asking you…you just seem really kind and are super helpful (and smart) so I thought you are just the person to ask. (But I don’t want to hijack your thread and turn it into a “writing fantasy 101” tutorial, so feel free to ignore me. 😛)

@the-fledgling-artist

Awww, you are so kind and sweet!! I have just been feeling a little down in the dumps and discouraged about my fantasy story, so that’s why I was being kinda grouchy. Sorry. 😕🙂😛

And if you all are talking about procrastination…just come and talk to me. I am pro at it…a true pro. 😛

It’s probably the number one thing that keeps me from writing.

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@eden-anderson Aww that’s okay. I’ve been feeling kinda icky about my wip too. *cries on your shoulder*
    We just need to push through and do the things! It helps a lot when I think about all the things I like about what I have so far. (Granted, at this point it’s a pretty small list lol).

Gargh why does procrastination even exist. *glares at procrastination*

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@sarah-inkdragon

“And while the image of dragon riders swooping down to save the day with fire and sword is epic.”

-coughs- Yeah… I totally don’t have a scene just like that planned for my WIP…

“Plus, I love having characters subtly insult each other with royal speech and formalities. It’s hilarious.”

Oh that’s lovely. I haven’t written anything like that but I’ve read some stuff like that. It’s great!

DRACO MALFOY. DRACO. DRACO. DRACO. -is pleased that someone else likes Draco too-

Um… just how long exactly can your posts get? Because I know of a post that, if I remember correctly, was over 3000 words… and if not I do know of several posts that were over 2000…

@eden-anderson

Yay! You’re back!

Also. One of my WIPs is rather medieval-ish. And there’s a lot of people running around with swords. And they’re all humans. So… you’re not alone in that.

Procrastination… yeah… -stabs procrastination-

eden anderson
    @eden-anderson

@the-fledgling-artist

*hands over tissue box*

We will…*sobs* get…*sniff*…through this. *wails*

Hey, that’s a really good idea!!!

@kari-karast

Thank you…you are very kind and encouraging. 😍

*proceeds to help you stab procrastination*

Think it’s dead yet?…

*groans as procrastination springs back to life*

I think it’s immortal…just what we were afraid of. 😭😭😭

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@eden-anderson

Oh well. We’ll just have to beat procastination some other way. By actually doing the work perhaps…

Also. I know this is completely unrelated to this topic, but… how do you make all those emojis? I’ve only figured out how to make, like, 2. And those are the basic ones. (If you think this is too unrelated just ignore me.)

eden anderson
    @eden-anderson

@kari-karast

Well, currently I am using a phone…so I just use the emoji’s on here…but when i am on the computer…uh…well it’s actually kinda embarressing.

*laughs nervously*

I use emojipedia and copy and paste…yeah, I know, it’s super lame.

😞😉

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@eden-anderson

Wait… you can use the emojis on your phone when you post on here!? -checks on phone- OH YOU CAN. And there’s an emojipedia!? -did not know any of this before- Huh. Mayhaps I shall do that as well… It’s fine. And seeing as this is all new information to me, it’s all good! 👍🏻 Nice. It really does work.

eden anderson
    @eden-anderson

@kari-karast

Yup!

Now you are ready to roll!!😀😀

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@eden-anderson

Great! Thanks! 👍🏻 🙂

I, David
    @i-david

Another topic I like to discuss: What do you guys think about the subverting of tropes and the Fantasy genre as a whole?

Four
    INFP
    songwriter

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@sarah-inkdragon
    Thanks so much for all the ideas, I know that will be a big help now and in the future.
    I think at this point the battle is not so much as faststical fantasy. There’s just no big fantasy elements in that part due to geography and all, yet it has triggered an idea into my mind… My fantasy has less paranormal in some parts, and then other parts where it is far more… well, all manor of creepiness. Certain regions have less fantasy creatures, yet your suggestion does make me curious as to the creatures that inhabit those countries…

Tek an ohta! Tek an cala!

EricaWordsmith
    @ericawordsmith

@sarah-inkdragon

Well, I’m sort of a special case and feel like this applies to myself in a weird sort of way.
    I have had writer’s block for years except for the few exceptions. And when I say writer’s block, I mean the writer’s block where you feel like you’re slowly ripping the words from the walls of your mind and taping them to a document. Ouchy. I tried a NaNo novel this year, and it simply wasn’t in me to write it, even though I did love the idea, and may yet return to it someday.
    The exceptions: occasional short stories and blog posts. And a book series.
    So, I started book one when I was fourteen, and never looked back. I have had an almost endless well of inspiration, passion, and energy to write it. Yes, there are parts that are harder, but it’s been an adventure as well as a labor of love.
    I’m editing now, past the rewriting/cutting down (I discovered yesterday that I have cut out roughly 50,000 words, and it’s now around 150,000 words.
    So, things that help…
    1. Music. I’m an extremely musical person (meaning I play and sing, listen with a very critical ear, and abhor most noises that people call music these days). Needless to say, I can hardly write without music nowadays. When choosing music, I usually pick a song or two per a scene, and different things, but almost always an emotionally stirring piece. Soundtrack is best, though instrumental and classical are also very good. I adore the cello (and hope to learn it soon) so The Piano Guys are a huge help to me.
    2. Pictures are hugely helpful. Like I said the other day, my battle scene had a Scottish Highland feel, so looking at pictures of the Highlands helped a lot. People who look like my characters, everything.
    3. Find a victim willing to listen… then rant. I’m super blessed because I have a girl who has listened with interest to hours of ranting. It’s a huge help.
    1. This should be number one, but falling head over heels for the story is the best help of all. Especially if certain adored characters can bring you back because you miss them. I feel like I’m a special case because my writer’s inspiration is not broad, it’s just deep (actually, that’s a characteristic thing about me). If it weren’t for my love of my series, I’d be stuck. The above points are general, but I can only give them easily because I have the foundation of my books, without them, I might find this harder.

And then always always pray about it. 🙂

Tek an ohta! Tek an cala!

Allison Grace
    @allison-grace

Hi guys! @gabbyj also writes fantasy!

"I cannot live without books." -Thomas Jefferson

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 168 total)
  • The forum ‘General Writing Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Pin It on Pinterest