The Fantasy Writer's Realm

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions The Fantasy Writer's Realm

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@kari-karast

Hello! I don’t think I’ve seen you around here before, so nice to meet you! 😉

Ooh, villains reforming is both one of my favorite and least favorite tropes, actually. I love an anti-hero or a flawed villain who eventually joins the heroes, but only if it’s realistic and well written. (Think Zuko from Avatar: The Last Airbender. Now that is a good reformed villain. Also, if you haven’t seen that show, I totally recommend it.) Villains that just reform after the hero talks to them or saves their life just aren’t realistic and they irritate the heck out of me. XD

I also love endings where it’s more bittersweet than happy–but it depends on the book. Some books need a happy, upbeat ending, and others pull off that bittersweet feel so well you’ll be left mourning the end of the book for weeks. XD

And making character face their worst nightmares is the best thing ever. I’m a sucker for angst and feelz when it comes to characters, and love a good scene/chapter where the characters are forced to confront what they fear/hate the most.

"Come waste your time with me..."

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@sarah-inkdragon

Nice to meet you too. -shakes hand-

I haven’t seen that. I’ve heard of it though. Perhaps I will watch it. And yes. Most of my villains don’t reform. I think it’s really only those two. -snickers bc of how it happens- It does depend on the villain and how it happens I agree.

I also agree with the endings thing. It must be realistic. If it ends and everything’s fine and it’s realistic then I don’t mind so much. It just needs to seem… plausible. I just don’t like it if their life becomes perfect when they ‘win’.

YEEEEESSSSSSSS. OH THE NIGHTMARES. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA. (Okay okay. Sorry. I had to do that.)

"You can dance with my henchman."

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@kari-karast Actually I love happy endings!! The endings that would drive me crazy are ones that leave the characters significantly unchanged. ^-^ But we can agree to disagree on this one haha.

@r-m-archer @i-david alright, it sound cool. 😀 Still not 100% convinced to read them, but I am more curious now.

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@the-fledgling-artist

Well, the ending can be happy. It just can’t be like, “And they beat the villain now everything shall be happiness and flowers and nothing bad will ever happen again and the world is perfect.” I prefer more like, “And they beat the villain and now their lives will return to as normal as possible after going on an epic lifechanging adventure but they will still have the difficulties that everyone has in their day to day life.” Does that make sense?

Also, your profile pic is super cute!

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@sarah-inkdragon

Ohhh, this is AWESOME!!! Reading through this thread is so much fun! 😀 Thanks for starting it! (Also, I heard you mention Faramir…*has a freak out moment*)

*cough*

Okay, so I am deeply honored that you tagged me…but I must admit, to my embarrassment, that I know next to nothing about writing Fantasy. Currently, I am working on my first fantasy project and its going….uh…*a-hem*….slow. So, yes I enjoy fantasy, but I haven’t actually read much…mostly just Tolkien, Lewis, McDonald, John Flanagan, Wayne Thomas Batson…but that’s like it. I know nothing of Brandom Sanderson, Rachel Starr Thomson, or any of the other authors that all you fantasy geeks talk/rave about.😉

So, to be quite honest, in the area of fantasy…I am a complete noob.

*cries because she wishes she wasn’t such a loser*

Okay, *exhales* so now that’s off my chest, I am more than happy to join this conversation and I look forward to learning lots of things from all you smart people.

To answer your question, I like coming up with quirky super-powers for my characters…sometimes I get a little carried away, *sheepish grin* but it is just SO MUCH FUN! I also enjoy all the worldbuilding (although I am horrible) and I like coming up with interesting cultures.

As for stuff I don’t like about fanasty…the overrated, and over used “chosen one” character. *blah* The “copy-and-paste” villians *blah-blah* and the-girl-that-can-be-and-do-anything. *blah,blah,blah*

And now you may ask how can I be so adamant about these things when I just admitted to knowing basically nothing about fantasy?

Uh…hehe…I just tend to be strongly oppintionated…even about stuff I don’t understand…

Sorry.

Also, dragons are “okay”. Definately nothing to get excited about.

*walks away whistling…completely oblivious to the fact that she  probably just turned the entire population of the SE forum against her with that last statement*

😜

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@kari-karast

It’s a great show, in my opinion. The best American animated show I’ve ever watched, actually. But the villain from the first season’s arc to redemption is amazing and I personally think 90% of authors could take a lesson from his arc. XD

And realistic endings are a must. 😉

*evil laughter*

Yessssssss. We must torture our darlings. XD

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@eden-anderson

You are extremely lucky that we became friends on other threads. Because otherwise I’d be siccing my pet dragons on you RIGHT NOW. Although… I am curious. Why do you think dragons are nothing to get excited about?

@sarah-inkdragon

Exactly. It’s not a story if our preciousses aren’t tortured. (Physically, emotionally and morally. -evil grin-)

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@eden-anderson

*waves*

Hey! Haha, no problem! I was reading through the Hi-Fi thread, so I thought I might as well make one for all the fantasy nerds as well. (And yes, Faramir is my boy XD.  I love his arc and character, plus there’s so many feelz.)

Ooh, no worries Eden! That kind of what this thread is for anyways–helping each other out with fantasy stuff, chatting, and having fun. So you’re perfectly welcome. 😉 And I actually don’t know a ton of fantasy authors either, I only really know the super famous people like Sanderson or the older writers like Tolkien and Lloyd Alexander. So we can both be noobs there XD.

Superpowers and magic are so fun! I love messing around with them and seeing what I come up with, especially since I’m a huge Marvel fan. I also like some of DC’s stuff, but Marvel is better. *realizes I may have just started WWIII*(Whoops XD)

World-building is one of my favorite things to do as well! I love complex worlds and cultures that I can immerse myself in as a read and I especially love when two cultures that are very different meet and get totally confused with how each side is acting. It’s both interesting and hilarious to watch.

Oof yeah, the chosen one trope is pretty well overdone. It’s cool when done right, but otherwise it’s just terrible. lol I’m pretty opinionated as well as far as what I like in fantasy and what I hate. 😉

I love dragons. XD I used to be super obsessed with them, and I’ve definitely toned down some, but I still love them. (Especially Toothless, because come on, he’s a cat-dragon-thing and he’s adorable. lol)

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@kari-karast

*grins*

Agreed.

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@eden-anderson Don’t you worry, we can be noobish together. xD I haven’t read any of those fantasy books either. Actually I never really liked the chosen one trope either, but now that I have a story that explores the trope, I realized I simply don’t like it done wrong. And I’m realizing.. That kind of goes for all tropes?? Maybe it’s just me.

@kari-karast Thanks! I like it. I’m not really sure what it is.. But for some reason I keep drawing weird purple catlike animals. xD

I LOVE REDEEMED VILLAINS!!! (But we need an antagonist, so maybe redeem someone else) (Like Zuko!)  How can you not though?? Like I was telling Eden, maybe there are no bad tropes.. simply bad writers? Obviously people can do a terrible job writing redeemable villains. But in the right hands how could you not love it?? I think characters being somehow redeemed is one of the most realistic things one could write about. *blink* Um, I’ll stop now. Before I get too much more carried away here. I’m not trying to start an argument, I promise! xD

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@kari-karast I also love putting my characters through the worst things that could happen to them emotionally. Not so much physically though.)

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

@sarah-inkdragon Marvel is definitely better. I liked Wonder Woman and I’m looking forward to Aquaman, but I’m not as big a fan of the rest of the Justice League and I’ve never been a big fan of Batman or Superman in any of their iterations. Except Smallville. I like Clark Kent in Smallville. But overall I definitely like the characters of Marvel better than the characters of DC.

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@the-fledgling-artist

Redeemed villains. Hehehe. I have a lot of villains. Mainly because my MC can travel between dimensions and so different villains for different dimensions. Although there are a few exceptions. If I redeemed every one of my villains it’d just get old. So I’m only planning to redeem 2 of the most important ones. (Her cousins. Hehe.) And it does happen gradually. But I think it’s gonna be pretty cool. (Maybe.) So just redeeming villains left and right is just annoying. But if it is really realistic and they’re genuinely redeemed and there’s definitely a difference (and not just them not trying to defeat the ‘good guy’) between before and after they were redeemed than I like it. It’s just… I have mixed feelings on the subject. On the one hand it’s good that they get redeemed, but on the other hand it’s kinda cliche and it’s not always written well. So yes. It does also depend on the writer.

-looks up at the above paragraph- -winces- -hopes it isn’t confusing-

Pfffft. I definitely do emotionally and physically. (Cause I mean the trouble my characters get into. It’s crazy. I do like playing with their emotions the most though.)

@sarah-inkdragon

Yes. Marvel is definitely better in a lot of ways. (Although Batman is pretty cool.)

AHHHHH! YOU SAID TOOTHLESS. Must… not… fangirl…

-backs slowly into shadows bc I have a chosen one character- Heh, heh. I’d like to think it’s an original take on the chosen one thing but it’s still a chosen one. (I seriously cannot see that line without thinking of Anakin Skywalker. XD. #CompleteStarWarsFanatic)

-nods- DEFINITELY.

ALSO. EVERYONE. I’m caffeinated and listening to LOTR music right now so forgive my craziness please.

Thomas (CrØss_Bl₳de)
    @thewirelessblade

YOLO!!!!

Hi.

*Forum Signature here*

Eden Anderson
    @eden-anderson

@kari-karast

*laughs evilly*

I knew I was gonna be pushing some buttons.

I am not afraid of your dragons…me and Bard are good ole’ friends…he’s helped me out of many uncomfortable situations, and he can help me out of this one. 😉

I am curious. Why do you think dragons are nothing to get excited about?

Uhhh…well, I am not exactly sure. I kinda just don’t like them. Maybe it’s because they are so raved over…maybe it’s because I haven’t read enough books where the dragons were well created…maybe it’s because I am just weird. 🙂

I don’t hate them…I just don’t like them much. (although the fact that they can breathe fire is pretty awesome.) Personally, I think giant eagles are just as cool. #tolkienfan

@sarah-inkdragon

*waves back*

(Oh dear, you were reading through the his-fic thread??? Does that mean you were reading about my cheesy plots? *inhaled nervously*)

Yes, Faramir…I bawl every time I watch that part with him and his dad…and him and Eowyn-they are just SO cute. ❤

You mean I don’t have to be a noob all by myself? *squishes you in a big hug* You are a dear!

Your a HUGE Marvel fan? Well, you arn’t starting World War 3 with me because I have never seen or read any Marvel comics or movies. Shocker, I know. *watches Sarah fall off her chair* Well for one thing I don’t read much comics and for another I am not a huge movie person…I read WAY more. 😀 But from what I do know about Marvel, I think I would be for Captain America. 🙂 ( probably just because my brother is a Captain America fan…i am lame, I know.)

Yeah, dragons are cool…they really are…they just arn’t my thing.

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 168 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest