The Fantasy Writer's Realm

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions The Fantasy Writer's Realm

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    Veraza Winterknight
    @kari-karast

@jzhurricane

Huh. Perhaps I will then. And I do believe Dracula is on my bookshelf… I’ve just been busy reading other things lately…

"You can dance with my henchman."

Jzhurricane
    @jzhurricane

“Do or do not! There is no try!” -Yoda

It’s worth reading even if only once.

Don’t let me leave Murph!

Veraza Winterknight
      @kari-karast

@jzhurricane

Ha! Yoda! Very well, who am I to ignore the great Grand Master Yoda? I will read it soon… as in when I’m finished with the other 5 books I’m reading all at once…

Eden Anderson
      @eden-anderson

@sarah-inkdragon

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! That was far more then I was expecting in your answer and it was AMAZING! Super informative and gave me some place to start. Thank you so much for not just throwing a bunch of random, convaluted ideas and facts at me and being like “okay, now go pull yourself up by your bootstraps and get writing your epic fantasy.”

Thank you for the tips and the links! Thank you, thank you, thank you! You don’t know how much this has helped me! *hands over pizza cause I can’t give you money* 😉

And playing around with different fantasy troupes sounds like so much fun! I love all things quirky and abnormal and I am just imagining all the fun stuff you could do! 😀

"But how could you live and have no story to tell?" - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Sarah Inkdragon
      @sarah-inkdragon

@eden-anderson

*takes pizza*

Ooh, thank you. Food is the best payment, in my opinion. XD

I’m glad this was helpful to you!  I had to sit down long and hard to think what I wanted to say, because when I first started writing fantasy, I went off of generic tips like: be original, or: don’t write cliches! And that didn’t help me one bit. Besides, you can’t squish directions for writing an entire novel/genre into a post or pin. It’s something that has to be learned through effort and trial and error. But I’m very glad you found this so helpful!

Haha, telling you to pull yourself up by your bootstraps and write an epic fantasy would probably be the last thing I should do… considering I’ve been working on my own epic fantasy for upwards of three years and it still hasn’t made it anywhere near through the first draft. XD

Fantasy tropes are really fun, yeah. I started out writing by doing fairy tale re-tellings, and to this day I still like weaving in old folk tales/legends/myths/fairy tales into my writing. Like… if you look at it correctly, my novel is sort of Robin-Hood-meets-King-Aurthor-meets-Little-Red-Riding-Hood. XD Tropes and fairy tales are so much fun to mess with. (*cough* Especially the trope that guys are emotional as rocks–I happen to write from a guy’s perspective 90% of the time I write, and if guys were like that I would have already given up writing from a human POV and went on to unicorns or cows or ants or something. The Ballad of Sir Cow the Brave sounds interesting, ne?)

Quirky stuff is awesome. XD So are quirky characters. Have you ever written Steampunk? It’s super fun and quirky. I think it’s technically a “speculative fantasy” but I usually consider it almost it’s own separate genre instead of a sub because it’s so unique most of the time.

If you have anymore questions, please ask! That is what this topic is for. 😉

"A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."

- C. S. Lewis

Veraza Winterknight
      @kari-karast

@jzhurricane

I have read Dracula. It was… interesting. But a good story.

Okay. So, here we are. A whole bunch of fantasy writer peoples. But we know next to nothing about each other and each other’s stories. So why don’t we each give a little whatever you call it description thingy of our current stories and tell a little bit about ourselves?

I’ll go first.

I’m 14 and have been writing for about a year, and making up stories in my head before that ever since I can remember. Fantasy is my only genre I write in, but I like to read basically anything fiction besides romance and horror. I’m a bit obsessed with weapons and more than a bit insane. (I frequently refer to myself as an insane lunatic actually.) And my irl nickname is Ninja. *grins*

Now, about my stories. I have a description thingy about Ash Fall on my profile. Ash Fall being the one that I normally tell about. And then I have several other ‘big’ story projects. I’ll tell you about my most recent one. *gulps*

So I started writing it a couple weeks ago. It’s called Visions as of right now, I may change the title later. It’s about 2 teens, both 16, a boy and girl named Jace Silwynt and Sage Visino respectively. And, as the title suggests, they have visions of the future that always come true. When the story starts they have no idea the other exists. Then one day, they each have a dream. Not a vision exactly, but a dream that’s trying to tell them something. AND. *grins mischievously* They each see the other in the dream. So then they find each other and stuff progresses from there as they try to figure out why they had basically the same dream and what it’s trying to tell them.

@sarah-inkdragon
      I don’t remember who all’s on this thread. But I remember you were making a list so… could you tag ’em all please?

R.M. Archer
      @r-m-archer

I’m Archer (or Autumn, or Ariel; I’ll respond to any of the above), I’m 16, and I’ve been writing for about ten years. I primarily write fantasy–at least that’s where my focus has been for the past two years or so as I’ve focused on one fantasy trilogy–but I also write a lot of dystopian sci-fi and I’ve dabbled in just about every other genre, lol. I enjoy mixing genres, as well. I read in a variety of genres, too, but I tend to enjoy fantasy head-and-shoulders above anything else.

Despite primarily focusing on one trilogy, I’m working on three projects currently. XD

Slander & Steel

Catessa is an assassin living in the capital of Kaloris. When trade between Kaloris and the mines of the distant Rashan comes to a halt, she is chosen to find out why—but she sees no reason the mission should be assigned to her.

Still, the bard who chose her has information she wants. So she finds herself on an arduous journey to the harsh region of Kor-Baen, accompanied by a naïve fisherman and a ranger who won’t protect himself.

In Kor-Baen, the unlikely trio finds issues that run deeper than trade. It falls to them to prevent a mysterious war between the Rashan and their docile neighbor, Adrelia. Failure could mean the destruction of Kor-Baen and every Rashan in it.

Who is really fueling this conflict?

This is the prequel to the main trilogy I’m working on, but hopefully it also works as a standalone. Also, it’s different from some prequels in that it has to be read first, otherwise the main trilogy spoils it. 😛 I’m working on the fourth draft of this one and the plan is to get it published late this year, assuming I can get it professionally edited and get a custom cover.

The Shadow Raven

Sixteen-year-old Nissa Quail is a thief in the country of Roenor, unwanted even by the man who raised and employed her. When she’s caught stealing from the prince, things take an unexpected turn.

Eighteen-year-old Prince Detren Everlind has been resting comfortably in the assumption that he’ll have many more years to continue preparing before he has to take the throne.

When the two cross paths they form an unlikely friendship, but all that is put at jeopardy when Nissa’s employer disowns her and Detren’s father is assassinated. With Nissa determined to prove that she doesn’t need anyone’s help and Detren struggling to keep his country out of harm’s way amidst the danger of impending war, will they be able to reconcile her desire for independence and his instincts to protect? Or will Nissa and Detren both fall, their country with them?

Book two in my trilogy. This one is a royal pain to write, so I’ve been procrastinating on it for months. It’s really emotionally draining to write, and the characters don’t always cooperate, and I feel like I’m writing filler way too often, but I think it’s an important book to write so I (theoretically) push through anyway. 😛

The Shades and the Elect

This one doesn’t have an official synopsis yet, but it’s basically a post-apocalyptic fantasy following 16-year-old Madison “Madi” Thompson, who has fire powers and is part of a group of people who protect their country from mythological and magical threats that weren’t a problem before the world ended. She’s part of a smaller team within that group, and everyone in the group is best friends and has been basically their whole lives, so the more lighthearted friendship dynamics and the fact that EVERYONE GETS ALONG will hopefully be a nice break from The Shadow Raven. XD

Since my main project is so draining, I wanted to start a shorter, less intense novel this year to balance it out. I was torn between this one and an apocalyptic novel with strong family dynamics (and then I realized I also had a more lighthearted fantasy novel I could have offered, too, but I forgot), so I let my newsletter subscribers vote on which one they thought I should write next. I was bummed to begin with, because I really like the idea of tone for the other one, but I think this one will be easier to get started on since it’s been around for a while so I’m not starting entirely from scratch with plot or characters or anything.

I’ll be outlining this one over the next few months and writing it for Camp NaNoWriMo in April, assuming all goes well. 🙂

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Veraza Winterknight
      @kari-karast

@r-m-archer

Those all sound really cool!!!

Have you published books before?

Also. Do you have a specific reason for calling Shadow Raven, Shadow Raven?

(I actually have a character who’s codename was going to be Shadow Raven but then it got changed to Shadow Hawk.)

R.M. Archer
      @r-m-archer

@kari-karast

Thank you!

I’ve published a collection of short stories (and one of those short stories by itself), but no full-length books yet.

Nissa can shapeshift into a raven, and she tends to keep to the shadows… morally, I guess? (Part of the reason the book is so hard to write. It’s hard to keep her in-character decisions balanced with more right choices from her or other characters so it doesn’t end up just being dark and… gratuitous, I guess? I want it to have threads of hope through it, but she makes that rather difficult, lol.) So the title is in reference to her. The other two books are The Last Assassin and The King’s Paladin, both of which relate to their protagonists. 🙂

Veraza Winterknight
      @kari-karast

@r-m-archer

That’s awesome!! Those all look good!

Sweet! At what point do you pick the name of the book? Before you start writing it, after, before you really even start planning it, etc.

R.M. Archer
      @r-m-archer

@kari-karast

It depends on the book. I always pick a working title pretty early on so I have something to call it, but usually that doesn’t remain the title by the end. The Shadow Raven and The King’s Paladin got their titles during planning, I think, although the title “The Shadow Raven” got lost somewhere along the way and I was calling it “Clipped Wings” for way too long before I found the old title again, lol. The Last Assassin wasn’t titled until I’d written a good amount of the first draft, and I had to ask writing friends for help brainstorming.

Slander & Steel was called “The Heart of the Baenor” for a really long time, and I was procrastinating on giving it a different title because coming up with any new title ideas was a nightmare with that project. Finally I needed a new title for my Kickstarter campaign and I got my parents to help me brainstorm a small handful, which I let my street team vote on.

Mostly the “when” of deciding a title depends on how easy it is for me to come up with a title that works. If I’m having a lot of trouble with it I’ll put it off for longer. If something comes… it comes, and I go with that. I’m also not likely to do any heavy brainstorming until I’m looking at the upcoming prospect of publication and I need a permanent title, because a working title is sufficient for the writing stages.

Veraza Winterknight
      @kari-karast

@r-m-archer

That’s interesting. I usually come up with too many titles during the planning phase and it’s hard to settle on just one. So it’s interesting to see how other people do it.

Sarah Inkdragon
      @sarah-inkdragon

*resurrects topic*

Um…. school happened.

Lots of it.

Anyhow, how’s everyone’s writing going? I haven’t done much since I’ve been thinking about college and adjusting to public school(I switched from homeschooling at the beginning of the semester) but now that I’m pretty much adjusted I hope to start writing more often.

Other than that, I just got a free art program that’s pretty much like a free Photoshop, called Krita, and I’ve been working on perfecting my digital art since I want to get an Associate’s or BA in Illustration and then possibly go on to get an MA or MFA in Animation. We’ll see what happens though. XD

"A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."

- C. S. Lewis

R.M. Archer
      @r-m-archer

Well… writing hasn’t been going great, but I finally, finally, finally finished the fourth short story in a series of fairytale retellings, so I’m a step closer to publishing said series. There are two more stories to write, and then I have to edit them all. The plan was to publish in mid-April… but I’m thinking I’ll need to push the release back a month–or at least a couple of weeks–at this point. :/

I’ll have to check out Krita! That sounds like it could be a lot of fun to play with!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by R.M. Archer.

Veraza Winterknight
      @kari-karast

Well. I’ve done some writing. Not as much as I’d like, but some. I sent the people in Ash Fall off on their quest that they don’t know is a quest yet. But now I’m working on plotbuilding and fleshing out on the theme for that before I write more.

And then I’m rewriting Visions with the MCs as siblings instead of friends. And I’m also plotbuilding and fleshing out the theme on that one too.

_______

@r-m-archer

Ooh what fairytales?

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 168 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest