The Fantasy Writer's Realm

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions The Fantasy Writer's Realm

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@eden-anderson

So sorry this took me so long to come up with–finals do not like me. XD But here are some websites that have some amazing tips I found the most helpful in my fantasy writing.

Fantasy book writing: 7 tips for captivating high fantasy

How to write fantasy series: Do’s and Don’ts

^^Really, anything from nownovel.com is good. XD

The Secrets of Story Structure (Complete Series)

^^I absolutely, 100% recommend this series of articles to anyone, despite they aren’t specifically for, fantasy, so take a look at them and I guarantee that there will be something helpful in there. This entire site is amazing, actually. XD

How to Write a Fantasy Novel – An Explanation

^^This article was very helpful and interesting to me, and I haven’t explored the site much more other than this one article, but it looks like there are quite a few more good fantasy resources on here.

I hope these help you out some! They helped me out a ton when I was first starting to write fantasy. I’m glad you asked. I’d hate for you to get discouraged and stop writing fantasy if you love it just because you’re a new writer to the genre and there seems to be so much to live up to. (*cough* You should have seen my first story… *embarrassed blush* It was pretty much Lotr with a gem instead of a ring and dragons as 50% of the cast. ….. Yeah. I was obsessed with Lotr and the Wingfire Chronicles as a kid.)

But anyhow. On to my tips for writing fantasy:

• Start with what you want. I’ve made the mistake many times of trying to write like Dianne Wynne Jones or Tolkien or C. S. Lewis, and that never got me anywhere but frustrated, bored, and even resentful of my story. So don’t try to write like the greats–write like yourself. Write what you love. What makes a good book isn’t what genre is it, what style of writing, what tone–but how much heart the author puts into it. If you don’t write what you love, you won’t enjoy writing nor will your writing turn out as good as it would be if you enjoyed what you were writing about.
    • Ask for help. Look. We all know brainstorming is hard–I won’t hesitate to admit it–it’s taken me three years to get to the point I am today with my novel. Three long years of brainstorming alone with only me, myself, and I. But I’ve progressed so much faster after I found sites like this one. There were suddenly people like me who loved writing and knew the struggles of writing fantasy, and who could help me work out the parts I was having trouble with. Many people say writing is a solo profession, but I personally think it’s almost more a community profession than anything, especially in places like SE. Everyone’s here to support you and help you think through problems that maybe you just need a new perspective on. A second opinion or fresh perspective can work wonders on your novel. So don’t shy away from asking for help–it helps so much. (Pun intended lol)
    • Write what you need to read. If you like Medieval fantasy, then write that. I’ve read some amazing medieval fantasy novels, even though my favorite genre is high fantasy, I still love medieval fantasy. It’s one of my favorite sub-genres ever. So don’t change your writing just because there’s more audience towards high fantasy. Write what you love.
    • Do your research. If you are going to write fantasy, there’s still a certain amount of research that needs to be done even if it doesn’t have a set world like Hi-Fi or Contemporary. If you’re going to have a monarchy as government, do some research into that. If you’re going to have a character get stabbed, do the research on that. If you’re going to have floating sky islands, study some weather patterns and how large, slowly moving or stationary shadows would affect the crops/land below them. Research what living at high altitude is like. If you’re going to have swords and armor and battles, research what weapons people used in medieval times, and how armor works, how armies are divided, and some basic battle strategies. I know it sounds like a lot, but it’ll pay off.
    • Learn and grow from tropes. Personally, I love twisting tropes, turning them on their heads, or followling them but making them good in my writing. Tropes are fun. There’s always that one that we hate and that one that we love. So learn from tropes. Take the “Chosen One” trope, for instance. The chosen one is usually chosen by a prophecy, and therefore since the prophecy says so, is destined to defeat the big bad guy. But–what if you switched that around? What if the villain is the one with the prophesy, and he’s destined to defeat the hero? How would the story play out if the villain is supposedly already destined to defeat the hero, no matter how hard he tries? Or what if the hero is someone who isn’t the chosen one, but takes over the chosen one’s position? Learn from tropes, by learning how to make an often cheesy and poorly written trope like the “chosen one” trope into a good, compelling, well written trope.

And, that is all I have to say for now. If you have any more questions, please ask! Again, I’m sorry I took so long to answer you, but this week has been a bit chaotic. XD Also, if you’re looking for amazing talks about tropes and how they work/how to break them, check out Overly Sarcastic Productions on Youtube and look at their playlist called “Trope Talks.” I highly recommend them, as they take great care in breaking down tropes like “the chosen one” and “mary sues” and even things like magic in fantasy.

"A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."

- C. S. Lewis

PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

@sarah-inkdragon

I’m now officially a subscriber to this topic!! 🙂 Unfortunately I don’t have enough time right now to read everyone’s answers… so later on those… I’m a fantasy writer (and some sci-fi/other speculative, but I started off writing with fantasy, because of Narnia and Middle Earth) – so please include me in your fantasy discussion. 🙂

My favorite would have to be royalty and then world-building. 🙂 Very similar to yours, I know… the entire medieval setting in most high fantasy just fascinates me.

That aside, least favorites include: The Chosen One (done in a way without any originality in it… and then over and over and over again); The Strong Female Character (plenty of those out there… they have no character development!! It’s like strong, brave females are popped out by the dozens a day in stories now :P)

And can I just say that I can’t think of one fantasy film (adaptation or original) that is truly amazing and out of the world? They could have done <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>so much</span> more with Middle Earth and Narnia but didn’t.

MBTI: I’m an INTJ (I saw someone started mentioning this, so just FYI – because I’m obsessed with MBTI)

By the way, I have read two books in The Inheritance Cycle, and it’s quite good but not extraordinary. 🙂 Murtagh and Brom are great.

"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." ~Th.Jefferson

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@pursuewisdom

Hello, and welcome! Nice to meet you. I’ll be sure you tag you when I do questions or discussions and such so you can read them if you’d like. 😉

High fantasy is sooo fascinating, isn’t it? I love all the potential it has for such amazing world-building and character development. Not that other genres don’t, I just particularly like all the unique ways you can do things in high fantasy. XD

I’ll have to agree with you, I also can’t think of a single fantasy film that couldn’t be better, but I do think that the makers of the films did pretty well with huge worlds and extensive world-building like in Lotr. It’s hard to fit that much into three movies, and I think they did it pretty well. Some fantasy book adaptations, though(looking at you, Eragon) are just terrible. XD

Ooh, you’re an INTJ too? Cool. I am as well. 😉

And Murtagh is the best. XD

- C. S. Lewis

PursueWisdom
    @pursuewisdom

@sarah-inkdragon

Oh, thank you!! 🙂

Exactly. Sci-fi can be super cool and complex as well, 🙂 but something about all those royalty and romantic setting in fantasy… *sighs* I’m sure you understand 😉

Yes, I do agree. That’s probably why they didn’t do a second one for Inheritance Cycle.

I finally noticed these writing tips you’re posting up! Will be keeping an eye out for that weekly.

"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." ~Th.Jefferson

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@pursuewisdom

No problem! Sci-fi is cool as well, especially with all the cool tech you can put in it. *grin* I love cool tech. I loooove creating new cultures and world-building though, so fantasy will forever remain my favorite genre. XD

Haha yeah, the one Eragon film is….. bad enough. I did enjoy the decent CGI and the feathers on Sapphira’s wings. I know there are a lot of people who disliked them, but I liked it. It was unique and different compared to the standard dragons in fantasy. 😉 Plus, it makes biological sense as well. Feathers are light, durable, easier to re-grow and heal than normal wings, and they are also much quieter. XD (And there you got an example of my love for technicality and world-building lol)

I hope those tips help you some! They were very helpful to me. 😉

- C. S. Lewis

Grace
    @h-jones

*inserts self into the chaos*

Aloha, friends. I come with glad tidings. I am a Fantasy writer as well! (:

I wish I had time to really read over y’all’s (y’alls? y’alls’? idk, gosh darned country slang *throws a chair*) all of you fellow human beings’ replies, but since I don’t, I suppose I’ll just jump into the fray here P:

@pursuewisdom
      ROYALTY! yes! *high-five*

My favorite trope is definitely good-vs.-evil. It’s extremely refreshing to me for good and evil to be portrayed as two obviously different spectrums without equal benefits (“good” obviously being better), instead of a mixmatched confused gray like other genres tend to write it as. It kind of reminds you of all the stuff you know, but tend to forget about because of all the everythings that are in life, ya know? It really makes me happy, and even helps set my priorities or refocus my mind on what is good or evil (depending on the book, of course).

Least favorite trope? Elves. J. R. R. Tolkien was the only person who did them well. Of course, I love the idea of Elves so so much and, if I’m not looking for a deep read, love the presence of Elven characters in fantasy stories because ELVES. But, still, it’s not very artistic. It’s like the Fantasy Right of Passage, only it shouldn’t be. Sigh.

Other tropes I love: ROYALTY! DRAGONS! FORESTS! AHHH!

Secretly Hedgehog Jones. Don’t tell anyone.

Veraza Winterknight
      @kari-karast

@h-jones

Elves and dragons forever!!! -high fives- And forests… aren’t they just such useful things?

"You can dance with my henchman."

Grace
      @h-jones

@kari-karast What do you mean? I mean yeah, they’re useful, but I also feel they’re a common fantasy trope. It’s very rare that you see a fantasy story without a good forest in it.

Yes, elves and dragons! Yay! *high-fives back*

Veraza Winterknight
        @kari-karast

@h-jones

There’s just soooooooooo much that can happen in a forest.

Sarah Inkdragon
        @sarah-inkdragon

@h-jones

Hey! Welcome. XD

Ooooh, you like royalty too? Awesome.

I love seeing good vs. evil as well, but I also have a soft spot for redeemed villains/anti-heroes, so yeah…. I do like seeing gray characters portrayed accurately. There’s a difference between a gray character and a good gray character, if you know what I mean. Like…. Han Solo, I guess. Or Batman. Or Zuko or , from ATLA(If you’ve seen that show, which if you haven’t, go watch it. It’s one of the best written and executed shows I’ve ever seen. XD). I appreciate characters like them, while other gray characters(*cough* any character from contemporary YA fantasy *cough*) do not do it so well and should be labeled more accurately as: that-jerk-who-is-cute-so-therefore-gets-a-free-pass-to-being-a-total-jerk. XD

And as much as I love elves, they are definitely a bad trope in fantasy. XD I looooooove seeing elves done well, but I don’t like seeing how so many people simply rip off Tolkien and copy and paste in his elves. I have elves in my fantasy, but I am trying(and hopefully succeeding) at making them unique.

YESSS! Dragons and forests and royalty are awesome.

- C. S. Lewis

Grace
        @h-jones

@kari-Karast OH!! XDDDD Yes yes, definitely, I see where you’re coming from now. Yes, they’re super useful and fun and awesome and AH! Forests. Love em. xD I guess I thought you were saying that forests weren’t really fantasy tropes for some reason. O-o Crazy misunderstanding there, haha xDD

@sarah-inkdragon
          Ahh, too true! You’re right, there are lots of gray characters that are beautifully done, and it’s not necessarily the grayness of characters that bothers me. I think gray characters are pretty great and usually more true to life than the Fiercely Good hero or Unreasonably Bad villain. It’s usually just the theme of their being no actual right or wrong that gets me, I suppose… for example, in Avengers: Infinity War, the movie has lots of arguments for why killing off half the population is a good idea, and very few good arguments (if any, aside from “killing people is wrong”) for the opposing side. :/ It is hard, though, to have good, solid arguments for things like life and beauty if you don’t believe in an ultimate Truth. I guess that’s one reason I like fantasy… because a lot of the fantasy I read is written by people who believe in God, and have better answers to the hard questions than just “killing is wrong.” There’s more depth to fantasy, I feel, and vibrancy of life. And that is probably explained HORRIBLY because I’m horrible at explaining xDDDD I hope it makes some sense. But anyway.

ZUKO AHHHHHHH *screams* oh my gosh, I had a huge crush on him when I was younger because that show was pretty much all I ever watched xDDDDD A:TLA is absolutely one of the best shows of all time, and I’m just amazed at how just ridiculously awesome they made it! Such characters! Such stories! Such detail! It gets me every time. Aldbfjaksbbdkabs

Oooh! What’s your story about?

Veraza Winterknight
          @kari-karast

@h-jones

OH. XD. It’s fine.

WHOA. -backs slowly away from the crazy ATLA fan- I think… I’m just gonna… go now…

Jzhurricane
          @jzhurricane

Personally, I think the fantasy genre has been made into another cliche label like the  romance genre. To hold the attention of a reader anymore it seems that you must either 1. Write something so strangely new and exciting that the reader cannot help but be drawn into. Or 2. Write something cliche with a minimally different storyline to appeal to the readers that love the cliche and predictable.

For an author, (I only profess to be an <i>aspiring</i> author, not a completely proven one yet.) I would rather create something imaginative and new that can’t be dropped for something else. I’m sure most if not all of us have read a book that we couldn’t put down after beginning, that is my goal. The fantasy genre has been so over flooded with bad fiction like the StoryEmbers homepage says of all Christian fiction, I want to be one of the ones the same as you guys do that writes the new Invisible Man by HG Wells or Dracula by Bram Stoker. The modern fiction has been dumbed down and is no longer as intriguing as the old. I want to change that.

Pablo Picasso: Good artists copy, great artists steal.

Its all about how deliberate you are.

Oh by the way, hello! It’s my first time here.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Jzhurricane.

Don’t let me leave Murph!

Veraza Winterknight
            @kari-karast

@jzhurricane

Heya! And welcome!

Um… would it be a bad thing if I, uh, have never read Dracula or the Invisible Man? -looks around for all the exits-

Jzhurricane
            @jzhurricane

@kari-karast

Haha, no. Not a bad thing at all. Dracula seems to have been always ostracized within christianity.(At least where I am from, and for good reason concerning the newer fiction built off it.) But actually, Bram Stoker wrote Dracula with an eye towards making it kosher as far as Christians were concerned. He uses the Bible throughout as proof for why Dracula was evil and why he needed to be destroyed. The book is very unique and a completely different world from modern vampire fiction which I do not read.

Definitely worth a read.

The Invisible Man is less well known and though not the best of its genre will thoroughly entertain you. I only used those because they are better known than most.

Don’t let me leave Murph!

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 168 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest