The Fantasy Writer's Realm

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions The Fantasy Writer's Realm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 168 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

Well, since we have a topic for historical-fictioners to get together and chat, I thought I ought to start one for all the awesome fantasy writers. I know we all have our respective guilds and the general forum, but I thought it would be nice to have a topic where we can band together and help each other out or just chat about what we love in fantasy. And also, there’s ton of fantasy writers here who all specify in different sub-genres, writing styles, and abilities. From experienced to newly-arrived, there are many of us. So, y’all, let’s band together. This is our topic to chat about anything and everything fantasy, ask for help with problems, ask for prompts, recommend articles and techniques, and many other things.

So, to start off for fun, what’s everyone’s favorite and least favorite tropes in fantasy? I personally love writing about royalty in fantasy, just because it’s so fun to for me to create a new world, government, and cultures and royalty are often very immersed in that. Also, the intricacy of the castles or forts or strongholds, the weapons, and the stories of royalty are all very fun for me to write and read. And draw. I love drawing my characters or imagining cool royal wardrobes XD.

On the other hand…. I personally cannot stand the dark, brooding dude or dudette in fantasy who is often a half-blood of some race, has insane powers, and is really, really rude to everyone. It’s irritated, annoying, and just generally not enjoyable to read about. I love strong characters, or flawed characters, or characters with awesome powers… but a dark, broody character who is nothing but a dark, broody character with awesome powers he/she uses to annihilate anything in their path and constantly put down on the MC or other characters is something I personally hate.

I’m going to tag all those I’m pretty sure write fantasy…. @karthmin @eden-anderson @ericawordsmith @catwing @princess-foo @kjames0813 @anne_the_noob14 @mlbolangerauthor (I’m pretty sure you write fantasy….??) @r-m-archer @seekjustice @the-fledgling-artist

Well, that’s all I know for sure. But if you’re not up there, don’t be afraid to join in! We all love new faces or old faces that my tired brain has forgotten XD.

And thus begins the fantasy writer’s realm.

"A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."

- C. S. Lewis

Anonymous

I have never written a fantasy novel before. Well, for NaNoWriMo I did, but the writing was ineligible.

I am a little nervous about writing one. So much has been done already. What could I do?@Sarah Inkdragon, thank you for adding me.

I guess a trope I like are fairytale re-telling or fairytale imaginings.

Maybe I will write a fantasy after I finish my current project.

Can the next question be about scheduling and word count? I am struggling with that.

The Fledgling Artist
      @the-fledgling-artist

@sarah-inkdragon My favorite trope for fantasy.. Hmm. Never thought about this one before. Honestly most of the writing tropes I have opinions on are all character related haha. As long as you have strong characters, I don’t care as much about the external stuff. Oh I know! I like when fantasies have cool/unique flora and fauna. That’s pretty great. ^-^

Least favorite… I don’t like when writers use an already existing story world (that isn’t theirs) as the jumpstart for their own story. Instead of starting at square one they start at square LOTR. *cough cough* *realizes this isn’t really a fantasy trope, but more of a pet peeve on writing in general* Oh wait let me try again.

Okay I don’t like when the story gets so hung up on the cool powers and castles and dragons (the sprinkles) that they skimp on the important stuff. Like complex characters and theme. (the actual cake imo) Oh dear this isn’t actually a fantasy trope either.. *leaves*

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Princess Foo
      @princess-foo

@sarah-inkdragon I love fantasy! I particularly love unique magic systems and fleshed out worlds. I also love fairytale retellings.

My least favorite tropes? I dislike a lot of contemporary fantasy where the MC is thrust into a secret world, because they spend to much time insisting this isn’t real, and this doesn’t make sense, and not knowing what is going on. I also hate love triangles 🙁 Not a fantasy thing, but I really dislike them, especially when they only show up when you are already committed to the book and can’t just stop. Let’s not forget the Strong Female Character Who Don’t Need No Man.

I recently read a book with a really good magic system and world, and a Strong Female Character Who Don’t Need No Man, but she didn’t flaunt that she was strong and independent. I liked her.

The cake is a lie. acaylor.com

R.M. Archer
      @r-m-archer

@princess-foo Ooh, what book?

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

Sarah Inkdragon
      @sarah-inkdragon

@kjames0813

I’m glad you came! And don’t worry, there are still plenty of new ways to write fantasy. So if you’re ever in need of inspiration or ideas on how to make your fantasy world or story unique, feel free to ask me! I love helping people out with writing in pretty much any genre, actually. Contemporary, speculative, fantasy, steampunk, mystery, supernatural…. I love all genres. 😉

I’m thinking of doing two little questions or prompts a week just for fun, so I’ll use yours next! Thanks for the suggestion.

@the-fledgling-artist

XD I’m actually the same way usually, but there are some tropes I really enjoy writing or twisting into something new, and other tropes that I just can’t stand. Ooh, cool ecosystems in fantasy are amazing! I’m planning on self-illustrating my fantasy novel, so I get to draw all that cool flora and fauna. 😉

Oof yeah, I don’t like it either when people just take LOTR and add a few of their own characters. That’s what fanfiction is for, isn’t it? I love LOTR from the bottom of my heart, but I still don’t like reading books that are just copies of it. (Though, I must say that my first attempt at a fantasy novel was pretty much LOTR with a gem instead of a ring. XD)

@princess-foo

Yes, magic systems and world-building are amazing! I’ve yet to find a book that’s not a Tolkien, Lloyd Alexander, or Sanderson though the really does world building well, though. So if you have any recommendations, I’d love to have them! I personally love world building in my own novels, and character development. (In fact, I might be a little obsessed with it… but it’s just so fun XD)

I don’t particularly like contemporary fantasy either where the MC gets transported to a magical realm. It’s to dry and sudden, and often there’s no explanation as to why the MC is able to travel between worlds except for “he’s the chosen one”, and I just can’t accept that as a logical explanation. I actually would like to write a novel like this someday, so I can make the world building and magic system believable XD.

And yeah, love triangles are just… they’re pretty much terrible all the way around. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a love triangle that’s decent except for the one between Aragorn and Eowyn and Arwen, because they’re all mature adults who don’t cause a ton of drama and tears and Eowyn is smart enough to realize that no matter what Aragorn will never love her in that way…. and she gets a great guy to. (Faramir happens to be one of my favorite characters XD) As for strong female characters… there’s a reason I write almost everything from a male POV. I can’t stand reading most females MCs.

- C. S. Lewis

I, David
      @i-david

@sarah-inkdragon Yeeees. This. I’m so here.

Favorite trope? Breaking them.

Least favorite trope? Predictability.

Four
      INFP
      songwriter

I, David
      @i-david

Also, I heard Brandon Sanderson (amazing) mentioned, and just thought I’d also add to that: Eragon and the entire Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini is one of the best fantasy series’ you could ever possibly find to read. 21/11, am recommending.

Four
      INFP
      songwriter

The Fledgling Artist
      @the-fledgling-artist

@i-david I’ve heard a lot about Inheritance Cycle but never read it. What exactly do you like about it? Why do you think it’s worth reading?

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

I, David
      @i-david

@i-david I’ve heard a lot about Inheritance Cycle but never read it. What exactly do you like about it? Why do you think it’s worth reading?

It’s unique. It defies tropes. The prose is beautiful, the characters incredibly deep and loveable, the plot complex and amazing. Honestly, you just have to read it for yourself. You won’t regret it.

Four
      INFP
      songwriter

R.M. Archer
      @r-m-archer

@i-david @the-fledgling-artist

Mm. I do enjoy The Inheritance Cycle, but I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily a five-star read. There’s a lot of worldbuilding and lore included–which is fine, just something to be aware of if you’re usually into more character-based books–and I actually wasn’t that big a fan of Eragon himself. I didn’t dislike him as much as some people do, but he’s not tops on my list. (Angela, Murtagh, and Brom, however, are FABULOUS and I would about read the series just for them.) It’s been a while since I re-read it, so I may be misremembering some things, but I think for me it’s about a 3.5- or 4-star series. (Still, I wouldn’t discourage you from reading it. I do agree it’s worth reading. 🙂 )

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

EricaWordsmith
      @ericawordsmith

@sarah-inkdragon

I put on my yellow ring and go to the wood between the worlds.

Well to start off, I’ll mention some of my favorite fantasy authors/books

Tolkien: Of course!! At this point I’m rereading LOTR and am nearing the end of The Silmarillion.

Lewis: Who ever stepped into Narnia without being changed? Narnia was where I first was taught the basics of good fantasy.

Rachel Starr Thomson: The Seventh World Trilogy is my favorite of hers. I highly recommend it, it has so much to offer, awesome, unique characters, creepy villains (like creepier than Sauron) an awesome plot and best of all, hope. Her other fantasy book I love is Taerith, very said and haunting.

Andrew Peterson: I know they’re kid’s books, but I adore them. I still need to read the last one, and am reading the first to a couple of my siblings.

My books: I am very vague about my books, but they probably are my most favorite fantasy world of all, just because my books and my heart are simply sewn up together, you can’t pull the two apart. Been a labor of love for nearly four years now.

Ok, so to my favorites of fantasy… I love royalty, but I also love the unique characters as well. I love the mysterious Aragons, the amazing Miricles (Seventh World Trilogy), Frodos, and the rest, but I also love the quirky ones. Pippin, Pudleglum, and a little spitfire I made up are some of my favorites.

I really like characters who are bound up in the story, and have to learn that they must fulfill their calling, and all the rest of that.

Lastly though, here are some of my favorite things about fantasy:

The moon shines down upon the mountains and the world is a different place of shadows and heavenly blue light. The wind and wolves howl up to the stars and I can never forget this moment where I am aching with a longing I forgot I had.

That is my favorite type of fantasy world/feeling. Sort of a Nordic/Celtic/Scottish feel with a hint of refinement by elvendom.

The thing though I check first about fantasy is the worldview. I think of fantasy as a way that we read and through reading it, see a reflection of reality, however the author chose to portray it. Thus, I am very careful of my fantasy reading, making sure that the worldview is good. If it’s not… Then I view it as dangerous. So I make it my goal to seek out fantasy that is both hauntingly beautiful, but also points me upward and toward true reality (God).

Tek an ohta! Tek an cala!

Sarah Inkdragon
        @sarah-inkdragon

@i-david

Welcome! Glad you could come. 😉 I also love The Inheritance Cycle! I haven’t read the whole series, but my favorite character is probably Murtagh. I have a thing for anti-heroes and flawed characters. XD

Haha, breaking tropes is a good thing as well. I always enjoy a good fantasy that’s super unique and doesn’t follow standard tropes. There are some tropes though that I particularly like reading if they’re done well. 😉

@ericawordsmith

*waves*

Hello! I’m glad you’ve arrived. Ooh, thanks for the book recommendations! I can always use more XD. Unique character are the best. I love taking stereotypes and turning them on their heads when I create characters, both as irony for me later on when I read over my work. Ah yes, Puddleglum is one of my favorite characters as well. I love his dry, sarcastic kind of voice with a heart of gold underneath. XD  Merry however is my favorite of the hobbits. 😉

Ooh, I love that feeling/setting as well! Celtic/norse/scottish inspired fantasy worlds are always so cool. I also really love spanish or south-island inspired settings as well. (Think Pirates of The Carribean-like settings.)

- C. S. Lewis

Princess Foo
        @princess-foo

@r-m-archer It’s From a High Tower by Mercedes Lackey. This is the first book that I have read of hers, but I have heard she is good and has written a TON of books so I am really excited. The story is part Rapunzel retelling, part Anne Oakley, part elemental magic. It has no romance, and unless I just completely zoned out on any language (which has happened), it was pretty clean language wise too. Giselle is assaulted (it’s mentioned on the back of the book, so this isn’t really a spoiler), but the attackers are thwarted before they could do anything.

The cake is a lie. acaylor.com

Veraza Winterknight
        @kari-karast

@sarah-inkdragon

Ooh! Fellow fantasy writers! Hmmm. I haven’t given this too much thought. However, I’d say that my least favorite trope is ending everything with a happily ever after. Everything is fine. The world (or worlds) is/are saved and life is perfect. All the little side quests are completed satisfactorily and nothing bad ever happens again. Blech. That’s just unrealistic. And especially if the villains reform. -realizes 2 out of my 4 most important villains reform- Uh… although it might depend on the villains. Heh, heh.

And my favorite trope… oh I know. -grins wickedly- When the Mcs face their worst nightmares. (I’m 100% evil. Sorry.)

@ericawordsmith

-jaw drops open- Creepier than Sauron!? (What about the Nazghul?)

"You can dance with my henchman."

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 168 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest