The fan-fiction question

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions The fan-fiction question

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    TheBookHarvester
    @thebookharvester

Does anybody here write fan-fiction?  If so, of what?
      Little baby (12 year old) me started writing by writing Narnia fan-fiction, but I’ve been writing “original” for a long time now.
      I’m bringing this up because I’m having surgery in July and don’t have the time to start the novel I was planning for Camp Nano’s July program, so I’m writing a fan-fic novella.  Because why not?

Tell me what fandoms you write for and if you think it’s good practice for your own novels and stories and such.  🙂

Author ~ Kinda-Illustrator ~ INFJ ~ Pretends to live in Victorian Era or a Medieval Fantasy World

R.M. Archer
      @r-m-archer

I started out writing a Legend of Zelda fanfiction novel back when I was seven. Except the only game I’d played was Link’s Crossbow Training so there were a lot of gaps in my knowledge and I took a lot of creative liberties as such. I still love the story, and I’m now working on rebuilding the entire universe that built around that one story (which has been adapted into an original).

I haven’t written fanfiction since, aside from the rest of that series and a just-for-fun romance story in which the guy and the girl meet in a library and the guy’s dad is an inventor who’s helped design a holoprogram that lets you enter any story you like; the guy and the girl spend a lot of time in The Maze Runner (because I hated reading that series from a writer’s standpoint and I want to change it. Plus Newt is amazing. XD), so I consider it fanfiction.

As little as I write it, I definitely think fanfiction has value, and I recently wrote a pair of blog posts on the subject that were way more popular than I’d anticipated. XD The first was The Benefits of Fanfiction and the second was Fanfiction vs. Original Fiction, if you’d like to read them. 🙂

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

TheBookHarvester
      @thebookharvester

That sounds like a fun story, the hologram one, and the Zelda ones sound fascinating.
        I’ll definitely check out the blog posts.
        I value fan-fiction for the practice it gave me as a beginning writer.  Also, if w’re going to be honest, wish fulfillment.  Bullied girl wanted to go to Narnia and be saved by a High King, okay?

Author ~ Kinda-Illustrator ~ INFJ ~ Pretends to live in Victorian Era or a Medieval Fantasy World

Sarah Inkdragon
        @sarah-inkdragon

Ah, fanfiction. I’ve been imagining fanfiction for years now and reading it, but just started writing it. I’ve only written a few pieces, all for anime so far. I love fanfiction because A.) all my favorite people are in it, B.) the world, culture, and characters are already made, and B.) I get to write all the scenes and plot bunnies that never happened in the canon version. XD

"A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."

- C. S. Lewis

TheBookHarvester
        @thebookharvester

@sarah-inkdragon which animes?  I’m also a fan of anime.

Sarah Inkdragon
          @sarah-inkdragon

@thebookharvester

Um… Fullmetal Alchemist, Avatar: The Last Airbender(which is technically a cartoon, but so many people have adopted it as an anime I call it one), and Akagami no Shirayukihime(Snow White With the Red Hair).

What anime do you like?

"A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."

- C. S. Lewis

TheBookHarvester
          @thebookharvester

I’m a big fan of Hetalia, Ouran High School Host Club, Pokemon, and InuYasha.  I haven’t really attempted fan-fiction for them though.

Samuel
            @samuel

@thebookharvester Pokemon isn’t anime…but we can roll with it

I think writing fanfic is actually harder to do than normal writing because you have to work off something someone else has laid out. I have done some though, including LoZ Majora’s Mask, Monster Hunter and Fire Emblem. I generally don’t tho because it doesn’t have much merit other than education, and it’s not the same as learning from my own writing.

No one reads these anyway

TheBookHarvester
              @thebookharvester

@samuel  Pokemon was animated and voiced in Japan first, then dubbed in the US by 4Kids, so, it’s more of an anime than Avatar, which was Western animated with Eastern inspiration, making it Amerime.  I don’t play the card game/video games.  And I’m an original Ash, Brock, and Misty fan.
                I’m not saying it’s the best anime ever, but it’s still an anime by basic standards (and convention cosplay contest rules) and family friendly.

I think the merit of education is a heavy merit, though.  And I do think it can help deepen the world of the original source, when done right.  It also teaches how the do the basics of creative writing, for which I’m grateful.  Also, playing with favorite characters is also a happy plus.  I don’t do it much anymore either, because I’m too busy with my fantasy series.  But it’s still a good I-need-to-practice-writing-but-I-don’t-have-any-publishable-ideas-in-me-noggin-at-the-time, sort of thing.  🙂

Coralie
                @corkybookworm

@thebookharvester *inserts self with sheepish wave* I write Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys fanfiction XD My longest work to date is actually a ND/HB fanfiction. (It’s just over 90,000 words) I’m actually currently working on a sequel for that one. I feel like it’s a great practice field for your original works, and it’s also a cool way to meet peeps with similar interests who sometimes carry over and read your original stuff too.

GraceBought
                https://gracebought.wordpress.com/

TheBookHarvester
                @thebookharvester

@corkybookworm  That’s an incredible length!  Congratulations of that story!  Hope you finish the sequel.  🙂

Coralie
                  @corkybookworm

@thebookharvester Thank you 😀

GraceBought
                  https://gracebought.wordpress.com/

Inkling-for-Christ
                  @inkling-for-christ

@thebookharvester, It’s cool to know that someone else started with fanfiction too! When I was twelve I started writing fanfiction for the Avengers (at the time I didn’t know the word fanfiction so I called it “piggyback writing”). I created my own characters who lived in the “shadows” of the Avengers (all my characters were either sons/daughters or nieces/nephews, sisters/brothers). After a few years, I went on to write my own original trilogy.  I have dabbled in anything from Marvel to Star Wars, Star Trek and even Divergent. I created A TON of characters for Star Trek. With Divergent, I HATED the ending so I rewrote it and that opened the door for more stories (most stay in my head though because…reasons).

As to your question of practice, I think it is good to use because there is something already there and you can just add or change. I found that it was a good way to learn to “walk” as a writer. Learning to write using fanfiction helped me to figure out how to structure stories and how to be creative.

So my suggestion would use whatever fandom you like/enjoy. I also found that fanfiction is the way to insert yourself without actually doing it. You create a character like you or what you want to be like.

INFJ, Child of God, wannabe author, writer, dreamer, fan of DR. Who, Star Wars, NCIS-LA

TheBookHarvester
                  @thebookharvester

@inkling-for-christ That’s a great suggestion!  Thanks. 🙂

Inkling-for-Christ
                    @inkling-for-christ

@thebookharvester, you’re welcome. I found that sometimes when I have nothing to write [when my brain doesn’t want to work on one of my zillion WIPs] it helps to have something already there and I just have to follow or focus on 1-3 characters

INFJ, Child of God, wannabe author, writer, dreamer, fan of DR. Who, Star Wars, NCIS-LA

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest