fb

The Elusive Critique Partner Creature

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions The Elusive Critique Partner Creature

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mrs. Skywalker
    @padawanpadme

Hey! Do you guys know how exactly you canΒ find critique partners? It’s fairly easy to find beta/alpha readers, but how does one go about finding a (or more than one) critique partners? I’ve been considering it, but I’m not even sure how to find a critique partner(s)! Any tips on how to find people ya trust enough to let them peek into the soul of your little son (aka, your novel)?

"I never made a deal with Kanjiklub."

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@padawanpadme As far as I can tell, it works by being involved with a lot of other writers and getting critique from them. And you just keep an eye out for the people you really like working with. Nothing fancy. No guarantees, but it generally works out.

πŸ˜€
    πŸ‘•πŸ‘
    πŸ‘– 🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒

Mrs. Skywalker
    @padawanpadme

@daeus-lamb

Thanks for the tips! πŸ˜€

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@padawanpadme

Love your topic title, lol!

I personally find that the people I know best in general (closer friends, family, etc…) make the best critiquers. I also have a lot of them, not just one, as well. I don’t know how much difference that makes, but it has worked super well for me! Just having the basis of people you trust more, I guess.

The other thing that is super important to me is that I get thoughts and critiquing from different kinds/ages of people. So I will have quite a few different young writers from here, as well as parents, siblings, friends from church or elsewhere, as well as grandparents and other elderly people. Maybe it is not helpful to have the same diversity when you are writing something like fantasy, though, idk!? (I pretty much just write his-fic for the most part.)

What do you think? Or was that even remotely answering your question? πŸ˜€

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
    ~ Created to create ~

His Bard
    @his-bard

I know for me, finding critique partners is a challenge, cause the sheer scale of my stories is probably comparable to Tolkien trying to find a critique partner. Few people want to get invested enough to give the most critical feedback in a tale this big.

However, I have found a few individuals who seem to have taken a shining to the story, including, but not limited to, family members as previously mentioned. Namely one of my older brothers and my younger sister, both of whom I “conscripted”. Beyond them, the other people who have taken an interest, I connected with via simply sharing my writing for critique and watching for the people who really seem super invested in giving me the critique I needed most.

Now, I can’t promise long term commitment, due to my crazy work life, but I’m always glad to look at other people’s writing, and I always try to give feedback worth giving, so any time, I’m just a P/M away.

Spoken words are forgotten. Written word lasts forever. Writers are the most powerful mortals to exist.

Mrs. Skywalker
    @padawanpadme

@selah-chelyah

Haha, thanks!

And that does help! Thanks so much for your advice and help! I’ll continue to keep trying to find ’em! πŸ˜€

Mrs. Skywalker
    @padawanpadme

@his-bard

Haha, I feel ya! My novels are pretty long usually, so it can be a little tough trying to find people who can commit!

Thanks for the tips! I’m going to try to keep looking for people and maybe ask around and see if anyone is up to look at being a critique partner with me!

Also, thanks for the offer!! I’ll remember it! I appreciate it. πŸ™‚

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@padawanpadme

Yes, lol, no problem! πŸ™‚

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
    ~ Created to create ~

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest