fb

The dad’s job

Forums Fiction Characters The dad’s job

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bethania Gauterius
    @sparrowhawke

I am brainstorming/outlining a young adult contemporary novel and I need to figure out my MC’s dad’s job. I want him to have his own business and have it be a business where he would have several clients/customers from the family’s church (a church of around 200 members). I am thinking there are several other small business owners in the congregation and they would be his clients. Currently, the story is set in a California suburb modeled after where I live for ease of writing, but the state could change (Most likely candidates are a West Coast state, or Arizona). I would also like his wife (MC’s mom) to be involved in the business and I would prefer if the business was not a work-from-home kind of thing (or at least the dad’s part would not be work-from-home).

Any ideas? Please be as specific as you can. I have thought about finance or IT, but I would love knowing a specific job to pinpoint.

"For He knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust." - Psalm 103:14

Bethania Gauterius
    @sparrowhawke

Also, MC’s brother did not enjoy working at the business but feels pressure from dad to work there. The brother is introverted, quiet, nerdy, and has a melancholic disposition.

I am thinking the MC will grow up to take over the business. Over the course of the story she will learn to speak up, take action, and care for those who have been wronged. I have thought she might go into law, but if she can support others through the business it would be very cool.

Just throwing this out there in case it sparks any ideas.

Erynne
    @erynne

@sparrowhawke

Some office jobs are:

Real-estate, Book keeping (which is keeping track of finances for other companies), Photography (this really is an office job), some people get paid to do audio books, idk if that would work for you though, EPA (accountant), Pharmacist

Out of the office jobs:

Landscaping, Journalist, Construction (plumbing, HVAC, electric, or building things like you normally think of when you hear ‘construction’)

So yeah I know there’s a million more, but I hope this gave you an idea. This is seriously just what me and my mom came up with XD

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

Well my own dad does advertising for a local bank, and he is often doing it for several branches. He also is the president of several local organizations like our homeschool sport group, and does all the advertising and stuff.
    the MC’s dad could help do advertising for several people, I guess. Idk that probably wasn’t very helpful lol.
    Oh Oh OH There a family here that the dad does baking, like he’s a professional, and sells stuff at local coffee shops and food markets, and his wife helps in that by doing cakes and stuff.
    that also is probably not helpful. Today hasn’t been a good day lol sry

"If your goal is purity in heart, be prepared to be thought very odd." -Elisabeth Elliott

Bethania Gauterius
    @sparrowhawke

@erynne

Thanks for the ideas! Bookkeeping or accounting are high on my list of possibilities.

@emma-walker

No, that was actually really helpful! I like the idea of being involved with local organizations–I’ll have to brainstorm that a bit more.

Emma Walker
    @emma-walker

*flails excitedly* yayyyyyy I was helpfullll XDXDXD

"If your goal is purity in heart, be prepared to be thought very odd." -Elisabeth Elliott

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest