fb

The Crystalized Blood of a Monster.

Forums Fiction Research and Worldbuilding The Crystalized Blood of a Monster.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

So… today I am talking about creatures and monsters of all kinds. Sometimes I just post topics for fun – and this is one of those times. *grins* I am very interested in any facts about your make-belief animals. So if you don’t mind speaking about them and making them known, you can talk about them right here if you wish.

But anyway, I just came up with this creature. I don’t know what story I’m going to put it in right now, but here’s the description:

There was once a  monster. A great octopus of the Starlight Sea, red with glowing color-changing eyes that had no pupils but all the same could see. At the sound of its harsh roar, its victims trembled in its presence. The sharks dared no further, the fish slunk back beneath the reef in fear, and the great blue whales froze as if paralyzed at the sight of the kingly octopus… the only octopus of its kind every one hundred years.

The Crystalblood Octopus, some called it.

Only those brave enough traveled in its midst, to rediscover even the odd meaning of its name once again. But almost all those who did never came back.

Almost.

There was one. A great hunter of the Scarlet Caves, known as Drelindo-Mocklable, who discovered the old Crystalblood Octopus in its deathly years… where it was about to pass away. For a younger octopus was to come.

In its last moments, the octopus bled to death.

Blood so red. Blood so glimmering. For a moment it poured out as liquid as ever, then the next moment, the blood crystalized into scarlet gems struggling from the octopus’s massive form across the seashore.

With that, Drelindo-Mocklable had rediscovered the meaning of the octopus’s name that Time had taken away.

@jenwriter17
    @evelyn @nuetrobolt @the-fledgling-artist @wordsmith

Random Stranger: "What do you want to do when you grow up?"
    Me: "Write every inch of your future."

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

Yeah, I know the Bloodcrystal Octopus may be somewhat bizarre, but I thought it was cool.

But I like bizarre animals, whatever yours may be.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@andrew I really like it!

It’s unique and creative which I really like when people come up with their own mythical creatures! It also sparks a story line in my head. 🙂

What if one religion on your world worships this great octopus and so it’s crystalized blood is considered very, very, valuable. And so many young men trying to become rich and famous, sail out to find some? It’s an idea. 🙂

Does it have any children or offspring? Or was it one of a kind? If it’s one of a kind and there was only one crystal gem, you could write some back story about it being brought to the king and him splitting it into smaller shards for each of his children. Then when they grow up kingdoms they see it as a mark of power and Kings of different lands try to steal it. Well that’s another idea. 🙂

Anyways, I really like! Good job!

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@andrew Cool, very creative. 🙂 I love sea creatures. Aren’t they so inspiring?
    Have you made up anymore creatures?

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@evelyn, thanks. 🙂

And good ideas by the way. I thought like have a bunching people trying to hunt them down, then take the crystalized blood and use it as money (very rare money, which makes it extremely valuable.)

Every one hundred years, the Crystalblood Octopus dies and bleeds to death. Then a new octopus appears, taking the former octopus’s place.

What mythical creature have you come up with recently (if you want to tell me?)

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@the-fledgling-artist, thanks too. I just recently came up with the creature. I have made up many other creatures for this story I brainstormed for, but that would take a lot of time to go through. Though I may tell you some of them if you want. Which, of course, you do – since you asked.

I have these mourning owls. They make this mourning sound that haunts everyone that steps foot into the Seefame Swamp. Then I also have reaper rodents, alexion rhinos, and a lot more. I have this thread called World Making if you want to see more there.

What about you?

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@andrew Cool. 😀 I have a few made up creatures, but they are far less exciting then yours. And currently all unnammed. Aside from the critter on my profile picture, I have a sea creature, and one that resembles a goat.

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@the-fledgling-artist

Oh, nice. A creature that resembles a goat. Is this like a mountain goat-like creature or something…. something with scales or shaggy red fur? Or have you just came up with it and aren’t sure of the details yet?

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@andrew I would tell you if I had come up with a mythical creature lately, but I’m afraid I’ve not. As to things down that alley, I’ve mainly been working on myths for the world of Ildathore: (A project that I’m working on with some other peeps.) I find coming up with mythology very fun! The other day I came up with the story that some people use to explain how sea-serpents and waves and sea sickness came to be in Ildathore. 🙂

I should start creating more creatures though. Do you have any suggestions for that? You seem to find it very easy. How do you get your inspiration?

(P.S. @the-fledgling-artist I love your profile picture. Did you draw/paint that? It’s adorable!!!)

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@andrew No scales or red fur. They have black and white fur, long legs, pink horns (more like those of a ram then those of a goat actually.) and a short fluffy tail. 😉 I don’t know much about it other then how it looks. I sketched it out, and now it exists. (That’s how I come up with all my creatures. Haha.)

@evelyn
    Thanks! Yeah, I did it with watercolors. 🙂 The species is currently unnammed, but one of my characters has befriended one and named it Brink.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@the-fledgling-artist Awww, it’s just so cute! I wish I could watercolor that well.

I think watercolor paintings are the prettiest. <3

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@evelyn Thank you! Watercolors are hard, but don’t be discouraged. 😀 With some more practice I know you can get the hang of them. I agree they are very beautiful. I hope to keep learning how to use them better. 🙂

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@the-fledgling-artist That’s what I’ve heard. 🙂 Do you take lessons or just do it on your own?

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@evelyn I wish I could take lessons! That would be amazing. No I just practice on my own. 🙂 But I have consumed many books and online tutorials related to drawing. (It helps if you kind of know how to draw before you try to learn watercolors, In my opinion.)

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@the-fledgling-artist Cool! I’ll keep that in mind. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest