fb

The Chosen One?

Forums Fiction Plotting The Chosen One?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    turtleshavetoes
    @turtleshavetoes

I have an idea for a story steeping that plays with the Chosen One trope and would like thoughts on what your expectations are of the trope, as well as any fun ways you’ve seen it subjected. Thanks for your help!

🐢

Daeus Lamb
    @daeus-lamb

@turtleshavetoes The Chosen One is always young. I’m dying to see the chosen one with dentures!

😀
    👕👍
    👖 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Thomas (CrØss_Bl₳de)
    @thewirelessblade

It’s not a bad idea, but it’s an overused one. I have no ideas for you. If I get any, I’ll (hopefully) let you know.

*Forum Signature here*

ScarletImmortalized
    @scarletimmortalized

@turtleshavetoes I love your name…

I agree with Daeus! It would be quite funny if the old person was the chosen one and the mentor was a young person trying to explain things!

I’ve heard the idea that the Chosen One actually joins the villain (cue Star Wars prequels).

Or the Chosen One leaves the group that recruited him or her creating a faction that fights against both sides , who are both wrong. But make it look like they went off the deep end first 😃

LET THE MENTOR LIVE

The Chosen One need to be smart not strong.

“Scarlet, What are you eating?” ~ “Ghost peppers...” ~ Robin sighed.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@daeus-lamb

Haha! A chosen one with dentures! I 100% support this mission!

😉

turtleshavetoes
    @turtleshavetoes

@daeus-lamb I want to see that too! I’ll have to consider. Thanks!

@thewirelessblade
    Agreed. Thanks!

@scarletimmortalized
    Thank you! I’m rather fond of turtles haha. Thanks for the ideas! Those all sound like fun to play with.

🐢

Cassandra Hamm
    @cassandraia

@daeus-lamb I wholly agree with that. If anyone writes a chosen one with dentures, let me know because I am going to read it. XD

@scarletimmortalized
    YES. THE MENTOR NEEDS TO LIVE. There are too many stories with mentors dying 😛

I crush readers' souls like grapes.

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@turtleshavetoes

Hello! Nice to meet you, I don’t think I’ve seen you before. (Though I have been rather busy lately, so I could have just missed you XD)

Have you ever read Howl’s Moving Castle? That’s not exactly a chosen one trope, but the main character is a teen girl who gets turned into an old lady, and it is one of the best books I’ve ever read.

I’d personally love to see a chosen one who’s an ordinary person–not an orphan, no special powers, no prophecy–kind of like Frodo. Either that, or I’d love to see instead of a chosen one being a hero–the chosen one being a villain. Like, the hero has to fight this villain that legends/whatever foretell will always win no matter what, and the hero still has to try and beat this villain or everyone dies or something. I think that would be really cool.

"A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."

- C. S. Lewis

Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

@turtleshavetoes @daeus @cassandraia

This is 100% my favourite thing on Pinterest 😛 (Advance apology for the swear word)

Mahalo keia huiʻana

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@turtleshavetoes What aspects of the Chosen One trope irritate or bore you? A lot of the subversions any of us could think up have already been done, so I’d encourage you to think about execution over innovation (like, don’t just do something because it’s unique!).

This isn’t a terribly original one, but one which impacted me a lot: In Dark Souls, the undead player character is rescued from an asylum for the undead by the actual Chosen One, who then is mortally wounded and passes the torch to the player. As you progress, you meet other characters who could also be the Chosen One, and in the end the only thing that makes you Chosen is you kept getting back up when everyone else gave up.

Also, I’m reading Dune, in which an organization plants elaborate and specific messiah prophesies on different planets so they can gain control of them by planting a messiah on that planet later who perfectly fits all the prophesies. That’s an interesting subversion for sure =P

And I agree. Let the mentor live!

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@sarah-inkdragon

“Like, the hero has to fight this villain that legends/whatever foretell will always win no matter what, and the hero still has to try and beat this  villain or everyone dies or something. I think that would be really cool.”
    This actually isn’t too far off from my WIP 😀

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@the-fledgling-artist

Ooh, really? I’ve always wanted to see a novel done like that, and if I can’t find one I like write my own XD. What’s your WIP about?

"A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."

- C. S. Lewis

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@sarah-inkdragon

It’s a fantasy graphic novel about a young boy named Jake who is one of very few people gifted a special power from a (still unnamed) dragon-like creature. Because of this ability he is expected to defeat his world’s “source of evil”. Of course it doesn’t actually end with everyone dead, and the prophecy doesn’t predict Jake’s failure, but he, and all those who came before him fail. I hope to explore themes like, the need for a saviour, human fallibility, and one’s purpose. 🙂
    Have you ever written anything with a “chosen one” ?

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Cassandra Hamm
    @cassandraia

@seekjustice I adore that. I found a version on Pinterest minus the picture and saved it. Thank you for making my day better with that glorious pic. XD

I crush readers' souls like grapes.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

… if you think about it. Many people in the Bible were chosen ones with dentures.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest