The Best of Writing Music. Any Thoughts?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions The Best of Writing Music. Any Thoughts?

This topic contains 31 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  R.M. Archer 3 days, 5 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Kayla Skywriter
    @kayla-skywriter

I was bothered by Two Steps from Hell at first, but then I listened to their music and decided that it wasn’t so bad. My favorite track by them is Never Give up on Your Dreams.

Bookmarks are for quitters

PursueWisdom
      @pursuewisdom

🙂 Love this thread! Very informative. I’m writing down these tracks you all are recommending…

Have anyone heard of audiomachine? They do epic/trailer music as well. I tend to favor listening to the more flowing, beautiful, classical, dramatic instrumentals for my computer work rather than the battles and gore/intense style, and their albums Life, Tree of Life, and La Belle Epoque are close to perfection.

Recommend! Here are links:

Life: https://search.audiomachine.com/albums/am32-life

La Belle Epoque (violins that feels so heartbreaking 🙂 https://search.audiomachine.com/albums/am40-la-belle-epoque

Tree of Life: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94VadpMYQgE

"Holy wisdom is not clear and thin like water, but thick and dark like blood.” ~C.S. Lewis

PursueWisdom
      @pursuewisdom

P.S. Eurielle’s music is also very well done. Reminds me a lot Enya but her voice is … lighter? Content warning/avoid her single “Gold” – the rest are OK in term so lyrics and can be quite inspiration for characters. 🙂 She also did some songs in the tradition of LoTR 🙂

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=eurielle+lord+of+the+rings&t=h_&iax=videos&ia=videos

• This reply was modified 4 days, 11 hours ago by  PursueWisdom.

"Holy wisdom is not clear and thin like water, but thick and dark like blood.” ~C.S. Lewis

R.M. Archer
      @r-m-archer

@pursuewisdom Audiomachine is another one I listen to. I’ve heard (and enjoyed) a handful of Eurielle’s songs, but I haven’t had a chance to go through it all yet on Spotify. (When I discover a new artist I try to go through all of their music and save the songs I like so I can find them again without weeding through the songs I decided I didn’t like as much.)

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

PursueWisdom
      @pursuewisdom

Yes! I enjoyed almost all of her songs on the album Arcadia, except the final track “Gold” (it had too much sexual content issues for me to enjoy the song, but the music was very well done). I like how her voice and style is classical but in a pop/modern sort of way. Her LoTR inspired songs are very elegant 🙂 I found them inspiration for fantasy and historical fiction reading and writing…

Trallion
      @trallion

@everyone Wow, I guess writers tend to like the same kind of music XD Two Steps, BrunuhVille, Piano Guys, and lots of the rest I listen to as well! I’d have to say that Two Steps is my favorite though…

@pursuewisdom Yeah, I listen to audiomachine some too.

MyClipboardIsMyViolin
        @myclipboardismyviolin

@myclipboardismyviolin Can I go ahead and compliment you like I’ve been meaning to every time I see your tag?? XD That is hilarious!!! My siblings are learning right now… *Shudders* It’s nickname is The Screeching Evil. Yeah… I can see how sometimes especially worship music is not the best writing music. XD

I like some Matt Redman stuff, but it is indeed distracting. Some artists like Fernando Ortega, Andrew Peterson, and Rich Mullins are easier for me to write to/do anything to.

RIP Rich Mullins. He was/is the best.  I particularly like “My Deliverer” and “Rock of My Salvation” sung by him.

Okay, I’m not actually learning violin. It’s an analogy having to do with Lindsey Stirling and in her videos about her violin and how it’s the answer to everything. I mentioned that on my intro thread. In two months I may just give up on correcting everyone and actually go learn the violin, but I don’t have any use for it in my life, unlike my amazing clipboard.

I am sorry that you have had to endure the sonic interruptus of your siblings practicing violin. Back when my brother was practicing saxophone it was loud torture for me and other members of the household.

Also, speaking of which, good old Lindsey Stirling can be good writing music – it’s largely instrumental. Though I usually use her work to get an idea for setting of stories, not characters. (One thing I love about good metal is that the instrumentals make an image in your head, which connects with the lyrics to tell a story.)

——————————————————-

In other things, for things having to do with specific characters, I would look no further than Tommee Profit. He’s actually a Christian music producer, but he produces cinematic music for movies and TV shows which he releases on YouTube and albums entitled “Cinematic Music Vol.1”, 2, 3, 4, etc.

Favorite songs: “My Domain” (perfect for a villain character), “Where You Are” (that one adorable lover character who sticks with you no matter what), and “I Know Your Secrets” (the old wise guy who figures everything out). There’s a lot more there – gold mine for the interested.

Sarah, Miss S, Sierepica_Fuzzywalker

R.M. Archer
        @r-m-archer

@ericawordsmith @myclipboardismyviolin

WAIT A MINUTE Y’ALL HAVE HEARD OF RICH MULLINS???? 😀 😀 😀 I grew up on his music! “My Deliverer” is awesome. I also love “What Trouble Are Giants,” “Where You Are,” “Maker of Noses,” “Elijah”… basically everything he’s written. But “My Deliverer” and “What Trouble Are Giants” are probably my top two. My dad and I sang “Here In America” in church several years ago. Oh! And “If I Stand” is also awesome. I’m going to stop because otherwise I’ll name close to every Rich Mullins song I’ve ever heard (which is all of them). XD

• This reply was modified 4 days, 1 hour ago by  R.M. Archer.

Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi author. Mythology nerd. ENFP. Singer.

EricaWordsmith
        @ericawordsmith

@lin I KNOW!!! John Powell is sooooo awesome!!! I want to answer your question about TSFH… I will try to get to it because I have a couple thoughts that I want to hash out on paper, but I’ll do it later…

@pursuewisdom Thanks for the links! I’ll check those out, I’ve never done audiomachine before… And Eurielle…. Oh gracious me… Her voice is SO GORGEOUS!!!! I’ve been pretty selective with her music just because I haven’t liked all the lyrics, but the ones that I do like… They are SO BEAUTIFUL!!! I love Carry Me. And yes Gold… I read a couple sentences into the lyrics and stopped reading. XD

@myclipboardismyviolin and @r-m-archer

RICH MULLINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DAHHHH!!!!!!!! I LOVE RICH MULLINS SO MUCH!!!!!!! My Deliverer, Creed, Step By Step, Calling Out Your Name, Screen Door (I love that one…), Surely God is With Us, ALL OF IT!!!!! I haven’t heard all his music actually, but his music is so stinking amazing…

Tek an ohta! Tek an cala!

Veraza Winterknight
          @kari-karast

@myclipboardisaviolin

Favorite songs: “My Domain” (perfect for a villain character), “Where You Are” (that one adorable lover character who sticks with you no matter what), and “I Know Your Secrets” (the old wise guy who figures everything out). There’s a lot more there – gold mine for the interested.

Are those all by Tommee Profit?

Star Wars fanatic. Sword lover. Artist. Fantasy freak. ENFP. (and yes, that is actually me)

Selah
          @selah-chelyah

@lin

Great thoughts, and I admire you for thinking about it and asking! 😀

Personally, I believe that music does have a spirit about it, and that is why I don’t like some of the TSFH songs. Most of them, however, I feel are edifying + inspiring, and do not bother me whatsoever. I totally respect that some people will be fine with all of them, and others are scared off just by the title. I’m in the middle. 🙂

@r-m-archer

Yeah, I am totally the same way.

@trallion

Lol! Yeah, I am thinking the same thing…do we really all like the same music?! 🙂 What is your favorite TSFH song(s)? BTW, I don’t think I’ve met you before…but I love your profile pic. So cool!

"Get wet and sandy!" ~Instructor Reno
          "You will show respect!" ~The Bearded One

MyClipboardIsMyViolin
          @myclipboardismyviolin

Are those all by Tommee Profit?

Yes.

@r-m-archer RICH MULLINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DAHHHH!!!!!!!! I LOVE RICH MULLINS SO MUCH!!!!!!! My Deliverer, Creed, Step By Step, Calling Out Your Name, Screen Door (I love that one…), Surely God is With Us, ALL OF IT!!!!! I haven’t heard all his music actually, but his music is so stinking amazing…

It is indeed. Mr. Mullins was quite the talented worship artist, who put thought into his music. The My Deliverer song is off of the Jesus Record, which I found to be somewhat eccentric since they developed it from a crude tape of his last song ideas, but it is fun.

In particular, he is a talented vocalist with a good range. That talent shows up on a lot of his other songs.

Sarah, Miss S, Sierepica_Fuzzywalker

Trallion
          @trallion

@selah-chelyah Don’t make me pick XD If I had to pick a favorite album I’d have to say Unleashed, but favorite songs… I like sooo many of them!

And yeah, I’m kinda new here. I should probs make an intro post sometime… I’ll try to do it this weekend now that it’s been more than a month 🙂

Selah
            @selah-chelyah

@trallion

Yes, same here! LOVE it!! 🙂 Do you have a YouTube account?

Haha, I get it. I never actually made an “introduce yourself” topic, just jumped in. I can join a discussion anytime, but to say, “hey, here I am!”, never really appealed to me, lol!

"Get wet and sandy!" ~Instructor Reno
            "You will show respect!" ~The Bearded One

Trallion
            @trallion

@selah-chelyah  Naw, I don’t use YouTube, mostly just Pandora.

Yeah, I kinda want to make an intro just so people know a bit about who I am. I think it makes things less confusing 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

Signup Source

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest