fb

Temperaments

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Temperaments

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

@ariella-newheart

😲 Heyyy! That’s so cool!! 😃 😂

By the way, I like your profile picture. It’s pretty 🙂

Courage, dear heart ~ Aslan

Ariella Newheart
    @ariella-newheart

@bama-rose Yeah, that is cool! I don’t know how or if personality types translate over to temperaments, but I’m an INFJ.

By the way, I like your profile picture. It’s pretty

Thank you! I actually just changed it. 😀

Writer, illustrator, Parimi Alcan

Check out my new blog! https://arbitraryfairy.wordpress.com/

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

@ariella-newheart

Huh, that’s odd. I’m an ISFP… I guess we arent completely identical. 😛 I hardly know anything about the Meyers-briggs personalities, though. I find all the different letters slightly confusing.  The only one I remember is e for extrovert and i for introvert.

I get lost with all the other ones, Haha.

Ariella Newheart
    @ariella-newheart

@bama-rose I used to find the letters challenging, but now I’m pretty good at guessing types. It just takes practice, I guess. 😛 Since the MBTI can only go so far, I’m definitely going to try sorting out the different temperaments of my characters.

Writer, illustrator, Parimi Alcan

Check out my new blog! https://arbitraryfairy.wordpress.com/

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

@ariella-newheart

Yeah, for sure! I’m excited to experiment with this.

Kayla Skywriter
    @kayla-skywriter

*comes galloping in on black stallion*

I have returned.

Let the long post begin.

@nuetrobolt
    I would take a test to determine your temperaments. While opposite temperaments in one person do happen (I am living proof) they are very rare, so you should be sure. I think it would be a good idea for your characters, because, while personalities are how your character acts, temperaments are why they act the way they do. And, I actually agree with you. Bookmarks serve a great service to the reading community. I need to go find a new quote. Any suggestions?

@sarah-inkdragon
    from what you said, I think your test was wrong. I’m not an expert, but you sound more Choleric-Melancholic to me. My mom is a Choleric-Melancholic so I know what that looks like. As for the not showing emotion, that is very common of the Choleric temperament which would counter act that particular tendency of melancholics.

@wordsmith
    when you have the mind power please go into that I’d love to hear it. Not that I know you very well, (but I’m going to pretend I do anyway) but you do seem like a Choleric-Sanguine.

@myclipboardismyviolin
    you have a long tag. Your tendency to over think makes sense given your temperaments. As I said before, melancholics love perfect details. But the choleric is where the real over thinking comes from. The Choleric temperament wants to know why and how, for everything. Put the two together and overthinking is what happens.

@bama-rose
    glad I helped and that you figured it out. And you are most welcome. I’m enjoying this discussion. My choleric temperament thanks you for appreciating it.

@ariella-newheart
    are you asking if a test could have gotten it backwards or if phlegmatic and sanguine can be in a pair together? I’ll answer both questions.

First, yes, the test could have been wrong about which is dominant. There could be a fault in the test, or, more likely, you answered wrong. I’m not saying you intentionally lied, but sometimes you either don’t know yourself well enough or you got in your head too much and started to think about the consequences of the answers. Either way, your answers were likely not 100% accurate. They never are. These test just give likely answers. For example when I first took a test I was far more phlegmatic than choleric, which is wrong. Also the way the test was designed was they gave you a situation and you chose two possibilities of what to do. The farther along in the test I got the more comfortable I was and the more Choleric I appeared. When I first meet people they can only see my phlegmatic temperament, but once I know them better my Choleric comes into play.

Second, yes, you can be a phlegmatic-sanguine. Any two temperaments can pair, though opposites are less likely. And Sanguine’s opposite is melancholic so there is no reason why you shouldn’t be phlegmatic-sanguine.

Thank you all for waiting.

How we chose to fight is just as important as what we fight for

Kayla Skywriter
    @kayla-skywriter

One thing I wanted to ask all of you. It has nothing to do with temperaments, but I was wondering. So here it goes.

I live in North Dakota, and we have some weird record statues. For example, we have as statue called New Salem Sue. She is the world’s largest Holstein cow, and she is just standing on a hill outside of the town of New Salem. We also have the world’s largest bison. And just to make things interesting my town is the “walleye capitol of the world” and because of this we have the “World’s largest Walleye” However, a town by the same name as mine (but it is in Minnesota not North Dakota) also claims to be the “walleye capitol of the world.” And it has a  “largest walleye statue.” And just to add to the mix the largest walleye statue is actually Willie the Walleye and he is in Baudette MN

So my question is – Do your states (or countries) have any weird records like that or is it just North Dakota?

Brink
    @nuetrobolt

@kayla-skywriter, I don’t really care what temperaments I am, actually. A while after I said what I thought I was, I suddenly realized that I had probably picked opposites, and then I was wondering if that was possible to have opposite temperaments.

I don’t live in a state, and we don’t have weird records as far as I know. I live in a province.

Your story is yours and no one else's. Each sunset is different, depending where you stand. -A. Peterson

Edmund Lloyd Fletcher
    @edmund-lloyd-fletcher

The temperaments or “four humors” is the classic model.  In that regard, I think it’s important for people to at least know about for understanding older works.  For instance, when somebody’s “choler is up” then watch out!  They may be itching for a fight!

I don’t think MBTI is any better/worse, but I do give it the advantage of having more bins for people to fall into.  After all, both make some pretty broad generalizations about people.

Mostly, hey, whatever helps get in the head of your character.

Just don’t try bleeding yourself to bring your humors into alignment!  That part… yeah, no bueno. 😀

Homeschooling father of 10, writing Christian action/adventure novels from my home high in the Rockies.

Anne of Lothlorien
    @anne-of-lothlorien

@kayla-skywriter Not really hugely into MBTI, etc., but from what you’ve said, I think I’m melancholic and sanguine… I suppose. 🙂

I'm short, I like words, and I love people.
    No, I didn't draw my profile pic.

Kayla Skywriter
    @kayla-skywriter

@edmund-lloyd-fletcher I just find it fasinating. All of it, both temperaments and MBTI are some of my favorite things. But, I agree. Neither are infalible. Every person is unique, and should be treated as such, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t similar to other people in a way that can be catigorised. God created an orderly world, and while we can never fully undersand it, we can see small hints of the great order.

But yeah, don’t bleed yourself to alignment. That part has been proven false.

@anne-of-lothlorien
    I get that not everyone is in to it. But, my curious nature wants to know why. (and no this is not a trick to get you to change your mind) I just want to be able to understand everyone’s point of view. So, why don’t you really like MBTI or temperaments?

Michaela
    @mgtask

I LOVE all things personality (mbti, temperaments, etc.) I’m a melancholy-choleric, with phlegmatic close by. I’m not a detail person, but I seriously overthink things; my mom calls me a philosopher. I’m not sure which test is better for writing characters, but in real life, the temperaments seem to be more accurate.

"May it be mercy I show for it is mercy I've been shown." - Written to Speak

Michaela
    @mgtask

Also, I’m an INTP, which would make more sense if I were a melancholy-phlegmatic. When it comes to correlating the temperaments with Myers-Briggs, here’s what I’m thinking:

Phlegmatic – IxFP

Choleric – ExTJ

Melancholy – IxTJ (note: in general, SJs tend to have melancholy as either their first or second type; S involves details, while J involves structure).

Sanguine – ExFP

These are just generalizations; you’re mb type doesn’t have to determine your temperament, and vice-versa. You can also be a combination of these types. For example, my mom is a sanguine-melanchy an ESFJ (s and n are close, though). She has the E/F part of the sanguine, along with the S/J, which is a common combo for melancholies. Hope that helps 🙂

"May it be mercy I show for it is mercy I've been shown." - Written to Speak

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

@mgtask

Ah, that’s cool! I’m ISFP – Phlegmatic. Haha, you were right—where I’m concerned at least. Haha.

Kayla Skywriter
    @kayla-skywriter

@mgtask cool idea. However, I am an INTJ and also a Choleric-Phlegmatic. Which doesn’t quite fit, but now that I look closer it does work. Well done, also I love your profile picture.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest