Temperaments

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Temperaments

This topic contains 33 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Kayla Skywriter 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Kayla Skywriter
    @kayla-skywriter

Hello everyone, *waves*

This is my first topic since my introduction, so here it goes. I’ve noticed that everyone here seems very familiar with Myers-Briggs personalities, which are completely new to me. I am confidant I will understand them soon, (personalities are one of my favorite things to study) but in the mean time I was wondering if anyone wanted to talk about temperaments.

Temperaments vary from personalities in that they never change. You are born with a spisific temperament and are stuck with it to the day you die. Everyone is a combination of two or more of the four temperaments. Their temperament is the strongest of the four followed by the weaker. They fit in a square like this:

Choleric            Sanguine

Melancholic       Phlegmatic

Each temperament has similarities to the conecting ones but are complete opposites to the one across the diagonal. For example both melancholics and phlegmatics are quieter while cholerics and samguines are louder. Also Cholerics are the opposites of phlegmatics.

Members of a family can have very different temperaments. I once met a woman who was a Sanguine-Choleric but both her parents were Melancholic-Phlegmatics.

Okay, I’ve finished my brief overview. Anyone have any questions, comments, or want to share their temperament?

How we chose to fight is just as important as what we fight for

Bama Rose
      @bama-rose

@kayla-skywriter

I’m following this conversation. All this stuff is completely new to me, so I will sit back and soak it all in. 😛

How we walk with the broken speaks louder than how we sit with the great. -Bill Bennot

Kayla Skywriter
      @kayla-skywriter

@bama-rose

Glad to see someone is watching.  You said this was new to you so I assume that you don’t know what temperament you are. Here is a brief overview of each.

Choleric: The doer of the four temperaments. Someone with pure choleric temperament is usually a goal-oriented person. People with        choleric personality type are very savvy, analytical, and logical. Extremely practical and straightforward, choleric people aren’t particularly social. They dislike small talk and enjoy deep and meaningful conversations. They would rather be alone than in company of shallow, superficial people. Cholerics clash with other cholerics because they both want to be boss. Are often seen as heartless even though they are not.

Sanguine: People with sanguine personality type tend to be lively, optimistic, buoyant, and carefree. They love adventure and have a high risk tolerance. Typically, Sanguine people are very poor at tolerating boredom and will seek variety and entertainment. They often clash with the other temperaments. Sanguine people are also prone to distractions.

Phlegmatic: People with the Phlegmatice personality love peace and hate conflict. They can often be pushed over and undervalued because they are less likely to stand up for them selves. They are shy and lack conviction and energy. However, they often have a great sense of humor and can light up a room if they feel safe. They are relaxd, calm, and don’t worry much.

Melancholic: Perfectionists. Melancholics feel more deeply than the other temperaments and show their emotions more. They have very high personal goals and hold themselves to them. Melancholics are more likely to be artistic than the other temperaments. Those with the melancholic temperament often worry too much and let that drag them down.

Sorry if my descriptions are lacking. Also some interesting information. There are some people who have two temperaments that are opposites. Both opposite pairs exist in my family. I am a choleric-phlegmatic and my dad is a melancholic-sanguine.

Bama Rose
        @bama-rose

@kayla-skywriter

Haha, yup! I have never heard about this stuff before.
        Going by your descriptions (which were extremely helpful, by the way) I’m definitely a phlegmatic, but I cant figure out which one would come second. My first guess was that I’m a sanguine, but I dont think that’s right.
        These are super interesting to think about! I think I can even figure out what my friends are. Haha. 😄

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Bama Rose.

How we walk with the broken speaks louder than how we sit with the great. -Bill Bennot

Kayla Skywriter
        @kayla-skywriter

@bama-rose

I’m glad you enjoy this. Temperaments are one of my favorite topics. I also find the affects of birth order fasinating. Here are some more things to look for to figure out temperaments.

Choleric: Very independant and don’t want help with anything. They can be seen as control freaks. Their goal is to do things by themselves.

note: I am not much of a control freak because my phlegmatice temperament hinders that. However, one example of how my choleric  temperament manifests itself is that I always need to have the remote when my family watches stuff. I don’t have to chose what we  watch, someone else can do that, I just need to be the one who gets it set up.

Sanguine: Always want to be with people. People with this temperament will do anything with you that is fun for them. Their goal is to  have fun.

Phlegmatic: Don’t care what anyone does if no one gets mad. All they want is peace.

Melancholic: Whatever they do, they will want to do perfectly. Everything must be perfect.

Do you know anyone else that might be interested in this topic?

Bama Rose
          @bama-rose

@kayla-skywriter

I cannot figure out what my other one would be… I’m tempted to say sanguine, because I’m mostly carefree, but I’m not nearly as extroverted as a sanguine. And I am anything but a perfectionist, so that crosses of melancholic.

I’m very dependant on instructions, and too quite to be a leader, so I guess I’m not a choleric either. 😄

I know you dont really know me at all (😛) but judging from what I’ve previously said, do you know what I could be? Or know of questions to ask myself that would help?

Hmm, not sure who all would be interested, but I’ll tag some people: @raemarie @r-m-archer @evelyn @eden-anderson

Thoughts, anyone? 😀

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  Bama Rose.

Kayla Skywriter
          @kayla-skywriter

@bama-rose

I would guess that your second one is indeed Sanguine. Because your first is phlegmatic it likely counteracts an extroverted nature. Also, some people simply don’t display all signs of their temperaments. Here are some other things to help confirm our guess.

Do you lose things easily? If yes you may be sanguine

Are you organised? If no you may be sanguine

Do you get bored when nobody is doing anything? if yes you might be a sanguine

But, I still don’t know you personally so I think the easiest thing to do might be to take a test online. They’re everywhere.

Hope this helped

This sounds like something it might be good ot determine for my characters. And I think I might be Sanguine-Melancholic, though I really don’t know. I feel like I have some elements of all of them.

I'm Throne Warden of Emberia or Nuetrobolt. I write with my tiny dragon, Vip.

And bookmarks are not for quitters. Bookmarks are for people who want to not waste time they could be reading by finding their page.

I'm Throne Warden of Emberia or Nuetrobolt. I write with my tiny dragon, Vip.

Sarah Inkdragon
            @sarah-inkdragon

@kayla-skywriter

Hey! I’ve heard a little bit about this(mostly just enough to diagnose myself, ha), and it’s very interesting stuff! According to the OSPP test I’m Choleric-Phlegmatic, with a 16 score on Choleric and 15 on Phlegmatic. I’ve also got a 14 on Melancholic, which makes sense, and a 7 on Sanguine(not surprised). I found it pretty interesting that I scored so spread out–the only one that I know I’m for sure not is Sanguine, otherwise I have traits from all of the other three. For example, I’m a pretty logic and fact-oriented person who likes to plan out everything in advance and calculate the risks before doing something, and if something messes with my plans it tends to make me pretty anxious, but only if it’s important plans like events/etc. really. Other than that I’d say I’m pretty chill. 😉

I’m pretty perfectionist, and an artist(actually planning on an animation major XD), and I tend to feel pretty deeply(in my opinion, I have no idea how everyone else’s feelings normally are…), so that’s the melancholic side. As for Phlegmatic, I really don’t know why I scored so high on that other than the fact that I am a dramatic and sarcastic person at heart, and I love to be as dramatic as possible while retaining a straight face around my friends, but I really don’t mind conflict. In fact, I’d rather you come to me and yell at me for something than talk about it behind my back, because people avoiding problems is something that really annoys me(not that I don’t do it also, but it does annoy me a lot). I like solving things with logic, and spreading things around just because you’re to scared to talk to me in my face…. doesn’t really seem like a logical way to confront an issue in my opinion. *shrug*

Taking all that and the fact that I’m an INTJ into account, I’d say I probably most identify with the Choleric and Melancholic personality traits the most(ignoring the fact that Melancholic display emotion easily/a lot, because I’ll go out of my way to not display anything other than my normal persona to other people), with a bit of Phlegmatic in there because like I said, I’m pretty chill. I’m not fazed easily unless you mess with my long-term goals. Or my cake.

So yeah. I’d say I’m probably mostly Choleric and least of all Sanguine.

Veritas Nunquam Perit. (The truth never dies.)

Buddy J.
            @wordsmith

@kayla-skywriter

Hey there! In certain ways I like this more than the MB types… but I don’t have the mental power to go into that right now. XD

So! I’m a Choleric-Sanguine, though the Choleric side of me has grown over time… or maybe just refined.

-Wordsmith- Author of short stories, Reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

MyClipboardIsMyViolin
            @myclipboardismyviolin

The test that I took a few years back says that I’m a Choleric-Melancholic. I tend to stress over my work and all of the details that go into it – I hate being rushed and everything must be precise and exactly RIGHT. Something needing to be done in a couple hours makes all of my nerves want to bail out of whatever peaceful dance they were previously occupied with and run for the hills screaming.

At the same time, I spend a ridiculous amount of time thinking instead of…actually doing stuff.  I contemplate things at a ridiculous level of detail. A primary example is my morning Bible readings – a chapter a day minimum. Yet for some reason, I have grown slower and slower with the years. I started over with Genesis about a year ago – I am currently in Ezekiel. I miss the New Testament. I think I will go with a 2 chapter a day minimum going forward…but the point is that I think too much.

Sarah, Miss S, Sierepica_Fuzzywalker

Kayla Skywriter
            @kayla-skywriter

Thank you all for your wonderful comments. I promise to reply to them all, but I am going out of state for a week and will not be able to reply till I return.

Have a wonderful week.

Bama Rose
              @bama-rose

@kayla-skywriter

I took a test and we were right! I’m strongly phlegmatic-sanguine.

Yes, I lose stuff every day.

No, I’m not organized. At all… 😋

But I dont really get bored easily. That must be my phlegmatic side taking over. 😄

This is really cool! Thanks for starting this discussion.

Ariella Newheart
              @ariella-newheart

@kayla-skywriter I just took the test and apparently I’m Sanguine-Phlegmatic. After finding a site that explains a little about the temperaments, I think I might actually be Phlegmatic-Sanguine. Is that even possible?

Eyy, I’m the same as you, @bama-rose.

Fantasy writer, obsessive editor, illustrator, citizen of Parimi Alca

*disappears into the shadows*

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest