fb

Taylor’s Art Journey

Forums Art Art Discussions Taylor’s Art Journey

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

I always wanted to be a manga artist, despite never actually learning how to draw. I sort of gave up learning when I realized how much time and effort it actually took and that it wasn’t just a matter of really wanting to do well and having some kind of inner talent I just needed to unlock. Now I’m taking the advice of a few great people and trying to learn again.

I’m drawing with an iPad Pro and an Apple Pencil in Procreate and Pages, but I’m staying away from the undo button. I’ll put my progress here, and would love any keeping-accountable passersby are willing to do :-}

At the moment I’m just doing drills to learn how to draw straight lines and ellipses.

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@taylorclogston

Oh my gosh you wanted to be a manga artist too?! That’s awesome! It’s still my dream to someday create my own manga, or work as an artist for an animation company like Studio Bones or Kyoto Animation that create manga adaptations…. I really love the art form and all the freedom you have with 2D animation and just manga-style art in general. XD

Currently I don’t to digital art, but it’s a goal of mine to get into it this year and learn how to animate a little bit before I go to college in a few years. I’m really excited to see what you post here!

"A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."

- C. S. Lewis

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@taylorclogston Yay! I’m so happy for you! I can tell you’re serious about this, and that’s pretty exciting for me. I can’t wait to see how you progress. It sounds like you’re off to a great start! 😀

"Though I'm not yet who I will be, I'm no longer who I was."

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@taylorclogston Staying away from the undo button? You’re brave. 😛 xD

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@the-fledgling-artist @evelyn Thank you both for the encouragement =P

@sarah-inkdragon
    Do it! I’d love to see your stuff :-}

I did this on Wednesday while playing D&D. The gargoyle and can were on the table, and the other stuff is just doodles.

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@taylorclogston The perspective on the soda can is pretty good!  😀

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@the-fledgling-artist Thank you! I’m actually happy with how the (our side) left wing of the gargoyle looks. I was really nervous about trying to put it down but it does kind of look like a wing at the proper angle!

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

Yeah! The wings turned out good too! 😀

Sarah Inkdragon
    @sarah-inkdragon

@taylorclogston

Thanks so much! I’ll hunt down my art someday and take photos of it….(Oh, the pain of not having a phone lol)and then @ you. 😉

Anyhow, you play D&D? I’ve never tried that. I’ve never been super into board games except for things like monopoly or chess, though. XD

I really like the perspective of the can, it really pops especially for only being a pencil sketch and not a colored drawing. I’ve always had trouble with perspective, since I tend to draw more flat/2D style art most of the time. That gargoyle looks nice too! I learned to draw wings actually by pausing HTTYD during flying/movement scenes and drawing off of that…. and honestly it helped a lot. The angle of the gargoyle’s wings is really good though! The back wings like that are really hard to get right.

"A hard heart is no infallible protection against a soft head."

- C. S. Lewis

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@sarah-inkdragon Sweet! Looking forward to seeing your art :-}

D&D is really fun if you find some good people to play with! At some point I’m probably going to run a game online for Story Embers people.

I’m kind of puzzled at mention of the can from you and fledgling artist because it looks really wonky to me :-\ Purely accidental perspective.

That’s a really good tip for HTTYD! Every frame you have a new reference =P Thanks so much for the encouragement!

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@taylorclogston Hey! I’m just curious about how your artistic endeavors have been going lately. How goes it?

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@the-fledgling-artist I have drawn some small things on paper. I’ve been struggling heavily with apathy and stress lately, and an “extra” thing like art hasn’t been in my tunnel vision.

The Fledgling Artist
    @the-fledgling-artist

@taylorclogston Ah, I understand. Ik making time for art can be really hard, especially when life is being.. well, life. I pray that God gives you peace and the ability to focus on him as you keep wrestling with all the things stressing you out.

God bless you, Taylor. 😉

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@the-fledgling-artist Thanks so much for the prayer, the well-wishes, and just for checking in :-}

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.