fb

@Taylor Clogston (Because it wouldn’t let me reply back on the post)

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions @Taylor Clogston (Because it wouldn’t let me reply back on the post)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Katthewriter
    @katthewriter

@taylorclogston

It wouldn’t let me reply back on it for some reason, idk if it was a hlitch or just my phone.  Anyway:

Thanks for replying back to that when no one did.

But i didn’t feel like arrogant pride cuz I’m like this is okay i think, then all my friends tell me it’s great so i started to believe it is.  (Cuz i have hate/love relationships with anything i make,  art, writing, whatever.  I usually go ‘ughhh its awful” and someone reads it and goes ‘no its pretty good’ and a week later i like it… so… xD)

Yes and it doesn’t have to be a novel published.  Most of my friends are getting published else where for short fic or non fic and are really great writers and gonna publish soon.  While I’m over here still terrible. Oh they should.  One of those friends is Jane Maree a guild leader on here.  She’s only a bit older than me and yes she’s so ready to publish.  Her writing is AMAZING 😀

I actually already posted it on here and am murdering it cuz its horrible and i rushed it for the word count. I can tag you to it if you want.  But i know at some point i want to write her a novel, but with her not beeing my main projrct I’m doing snippet scenes (i can tag you to those as well, I’ve posted all three on here). That way i can write stuff for her but not have all the stress of in order and how it has to carry the plot. The her bring Yuri, the MC.

I’ve looked before at the page but there’s usually not the aspect of a certain thing that helps me.

Thanks again Taylor! It was great to get your reply. You know in these big groups of hundreds of other good writers it’s easy to feel invisible.

~Kat

• This topic was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Katthewriter.
    Katthewriter
    @katthewriter

@taylorclogston …. i got a notif that you replied back. .but there’s nothing here?

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

I wrote a long post with several external links, and I think the spam filter snatched it up. I messaged Josiah about restoring it.

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

Katthewriter
    @katthewriter

@taylorclogston oh no!  Sorry!

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@katthewriter Thank you for the tags on the other posts. I’m not going to comment on them until the post I wrote earlier is up and we can discuss it a bit =P

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

Katthewriter
    @katthewriter

@taylorclogston okay!  And finding You (the Roger, Chapter 8) does not relate to Stuck in the Repeat i just was seeing if i could get other eyes on it xD

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@katthewriter Thanks for reaching out, Kat!

So you’re aware, if you want to get in touch with one person in particular, there’s a “public post” button on everyone’s forum profile. That’s the preferred replacement for direct messaging on SE.

“But i didn’t feel like arrogant pride cuz I’m like this is okay i think, then all my friends tell me it’s great so i started to believe it is.  (Cuz i have hate/love relationships with anything i make,  art, writing, whatever.  I usually go ‘ughhh its awful” and someone reads it and goes ‘no its pretty good’ and a week later i like it… so… xD)”

Ach, I feel you there =P That’s frustrating. I guess you know the first step—you need to stop showing your stuff to friends who will tell you it’s good, at least before you’re finished with it. Daeus’ article has made me spend the last couple days looking around to what other artists believe about perfectionism, and I found this video extremely insightful.

The things which stood out to me were:

• Volume, not perfection – I mean, this was mostly because it gave me a selfish sense of vindication that people agreed with me that you should be failing as much as possible to learn quickly instead of tunnel-visioning on one thing, but whatever.
    • Steal well – I strongly believe an artist needs to actively and deliberately draw from a variety of influences instead of just trusting their style and voice will arise organically from thousands of hours of generic work, and that’s exactly what this is.
    • Conscious learning – This is what’s described in one of the books that changed my outlook on life. It convinced me that when I learn, I need to be deliberate and purposeful instead of just believing that enough practice will somehow make me good at a thing. It’s a principle that has quickened my growth in both writing and drawing, far more than I ever believed my “talent” would take me. Not that I’m much good at writing or any good at drawing, but at least I’ve moved beyond stick figures =P
    • Feedback – This was the part I found most interesting, because it wasn’t something I came to the video already fully agreeing with. I’ve known for a long time feedback is important (When I was active on it, my YouTube channel was all about giving writing feedback in real time. I strongly suggest you check it out and see if any of the critiques are useful to you.) but this video really drove it home. The speaker describes the greatest computer graphics school in the world, in which the difference between those who were the greatest in their field and those who weren’t was that the greatest artists actively sought criticism, and actually acted upon it. This has shown me I really need to get feedback from skilled writers who can advise me on my writing.

The problem I’ve found with the feedback step is that nearly no people who have been in a place to critique my writing are people whose writing I think is very good. These are often people who can quote all the same writing books I’ve read myself, and can point out easily where I deviate from standard writing advice, but can’t move any further in criticism. That is, I think most writing critique I’ve ever seen, on my own or on other peoples’ work, is garbage =P

The problem being that when I tune out all criticism as a rule, I end up missing the good advice along with the terrible, because I don’t have the skill to differentiate between it, and that does me no good at all >.>

So my advice is to be very picky in finding a few people whose writing you really respect, and to ask them specifically for advice before you show the work to anyone else. Don’t just look for people who seem to give insightful and popular advice. Look for a result you admire, and figure out how the artist got to that point by asking them as much as they’ll tolerate you. (In case you haven’t guessed, I have a bit of a reputation for being annoying…)

You’ve said, for example, you admire Jane Maree’s writing. What separates hers from yours? What are your personal writing weaknesses? I’d be happy to help you find solutions to your issues if you have the time and if I can find them.

And you’re welcome! I know what it’s like to go ignored in a big community. Not fun at all =P Hit me up any time and I’ll try to help as I can. And, well…

“I actually already posted it on here and am murdering it cuz its horrible and i rushed it for the word count.”

I guess you know at least one thing you need to stop doing =P

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@katthewriter Josiah said he restored the post!

Katthewriter
    @katthewriter

@taylorclogston

Wait. . No. . What?  I didn’t know.  How do i send direct message?  (Sorry I’m not logical/smart,  you gotta slow down a little)

If you tell me how I’ll reply back like that. ..

Katthewriter
    @katthewriter

@taylorclogston

Sorry, my brains just barely running while I’m fighting nausea, abs dizzyheadedness, plus helping watch my lil siblings while we’re in the hotel while our floors are being ripped out of our house. …..0_0 just a tad bit stressful

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@katthewriter Sorry, that sounds stressful.

To direct message someone, click on their name so you go to their profile page. Directly under their user tag is a button that says “Public Message.” Click on that, and it’ll bring you to an activity form you can use to message someone.

Katthewriter
    @katthewriter

@taylorclogston

No its okay,  it’s not you that’s stressful. ..

Thanks!

Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@katthewriter I’m writing to you in this thread because I don’t think the public messaging system works like it used to. I’m pretty sure you used to be able to have long conversations, but it looks like now comments can only nest twice. Sorry for the poor advice regarding public messaging =P

I’m sorry you’re going through what you are. I’ve suffered from clinical depression for a number of years now, though I was only diagnosed fairly recently. I talked to my doctor, who prescribed me a counselor (who, thank God, happened to be a Christian) and some medication. Those both helped me quite a lot.

If you feel hopeless and like you don’t know if you even want to be alive, you need to talk with someone who will help you take your next steps in life. If it is doable, talk to your family doctor. If it isn’t, there are a hotlines you can call at any time: https://psychcentral.com/lib/depression-hotline-numbers/

Even if you don’t have an actual cell phone, there are apps you can get on a tablet or iPod that can let you make calls over wifi. If you have even a shred of an idea that you are truly suffering from clinical depression, do your future self a favor and take the step today to heal.

That aside. The attitude you show on this forum worries me. You remind me a lot of another friend I used to have, someone who truly needed other people to praise her and tell her she was smart and useful, and who refused to believe that her value as a human being came from simply being a spiritually radiant person created in God’s own image.

That friend followed a very dark path. She was driven down it by people who were supposed to love her, and who instead abused her. She ran away from people who did love her for who she was, unbelieving that they could love her for anything more than her usefulness to them.

Please, please, please don’t be tempted down that same path. Your worth does not come from your artistic ability or your writing ability or whether you have a story that people are willing to publish right here at this point in your life.

If you let your idea of self-worth hinge on other peoples’ acceptance, you will never achieve peace. You will give all power over yourself to sinful, imperfect humans who, not even knowing what they are doing, will destroy you with careless bemusement or thoughtless criticism.

Many people on this forum have given their time and effort to support you and help you grow. Time and time again, you tell them “no thanks, I don’t need to hear that kind of criticism,” or “I’m not good at X or Y, I’m never going to have a chance to be great.” You reject what is offered because it isn’t an affirmation of what you believe to be your measure of intrinsic self-worth.

Other people have stood in the same place you stand. Some of those people have fallen down and never gotten back up. Others, by their own strength or by the compassion of others or by God’s power alone, have found themselves able to move forward from that place.

Please accept the compassion of the great people on here—and, I imagine, some people in your life who may be able and willing to help if you only let them.

Before and above all else, accept the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes. Salvation isn’t only the wiping away of sin, but is the transformation of a wretched mortal human into a beautiful child of God who exists to evoke the glory of the most high through their ordinary life in the world. You know as well as I that it’s a very difficult transformation. You know as well as I that it isn’t impossible, because God is the one transforming.

I would love to help with your writing. You clearly have things within yourself you must tell through stories. Frankly, that’s a quality many people on this forum lack. Don’t be frustrated because your skill isn’t in every way of a similar magnitude to your passion and zeal.

Let me help you with your writing, and let other people help you as they can. Be humble. Know that God promises us that if we ask for wisdom, He will give it to us. Ask for that wisdom. Ask for peace. Ask that you will be given what you need to show His power and love to a world that needs it.

Thank you, Kat, if you read this to the end. I really hope it’s what you needed to read today. Know that I am truly praying for you and want to see you healed. I have more faith that God can lift you up than that I will ever find peace.

If nothing else, if you think this is a bunch of garbage from a person who doesn’t know you, at least pray.

Ask for wisdom, if nothing more.

But know that if I don’t have any reason to believe my advice will fall on humble and eager ears, I will not waste my time giving it.

Katthewriter
    @katthewriter

@taylorclogston

Yeah. Its okay xD

Its fine I’m just sad about my friend.  I’ll try to stop doing it. I didnt think anyone would in this big of a community when i only know a few people.

Used to be your friend? Do you not talk to her anymore?

Art and writing is barely what it is coming from. Its very complicated,  but I’m pretty much failing at what an 18 year old should be to. Anyway i would rather be humble and say its no good then be a snob who brags. And like with Stuck in the Repeat.. its easier to assume the worst, and not get so hurt when people destroy you about it. If i thought SitR was so so, that wouldnt have hurt so much as when i thought it was pretty good.  And i super liked it cuz it had gentling, and horses which I love. So its not that they have to tell  me, its just it let’s me know that its okay.  So i think its,terrible,  someone says its good.  So i know its at least okay.  But not as good as i want it yet.

I don’t think I’ve aid i don’t need to hear that kind of criticism. Unless it was for editing while I’m still writing the book,  cuz i don’t do that from a first alpha group that went really bad…. so yeah.  And yeah im the same way…. its not good enough to be my thing so, i gotta make it better.  I’m only kinda good at my 4 hobbies. Idk. Its complicated.  There’s alot of stuff behind this mixed in the failing at life but being that age  where family thinks you should be to a certain level of whatever…. it’s fine.  I’m fine.

I guess you can try to help me.  But I’m kinda stubborn fyi. Specially when it comes to my cherries (characters )

Isnt it humble knowing mines no good?  I’m not a snob with my writing. Have had plenty of bad experiences with snobs lol so I’m like no,  I’ll never be like them.

He doesn’t ever give me peace… and lately praying has been hard but… yeah.  Nvrmind. It’s all fine.  Thanks.  I’ll be able to figure out someday.  Maybe not in 2020 cuz its already off to a bad start but maybe.

Yeah thanks it was sweet. I’ve never got anything this long from someone i barely know xD  i appreciate you reaching out to me. Guess I’m not as invisible as i thought.  (Thought i was only visible to my 1,000 pound 4 legged friends)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Katthewriter.
    Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@katthewriter There’s nothing wrong with being sad about someone just up and leaving, and there’s nothing wrong with reaching out to a person or your guild (though I guess those aren’t so much a thing now) about something you’re struggling with. That’s kind of the whole point of community. The thing you probably should stop is just bringing it up in random threads. That is, if it really isn’t something you think is a big deal. If you’re truly struggling with dealing with it, please do get in touch with someone whose job it is to help people struggling.

And no. My friend’s life crumbled in a way I have no right to discuss in public. I’ve seen her a few times since then, but she didn’t recognize me.

As for the stuff with life? I think I know to some extent where you’re coming from. I wasn’t where a person should be at 18 either. I didn’t get my driver’s license until I was 20. I didn’t move out of my parents’ house until I was 23. I used to make my mom cry and my dad rage because I wasn’t the kind of son they wanted and felt like they deserved. Even today I work a terrible factory job and reject filial duty in self-imposed solitude while my friends are married homeowners with professional careers. Even if I don’t know it in the same way you do, I know what it’s like to feel you’re not in the place you’re “supposed” to be.

Regarding humility, I don’t think you are humble. Humility is honest. It doesn’t feel self-pity for failing to be as good as some arbitrary standard. A humble person looks at where they stand and doesn’t overestimate or underestimate theirself. If you want to grow as a writer, you can’t attach your sense of self-worth to your work.

And yes. I distinctly remember someone claiming you made some mistake regarding the horse aspect of your story. Rather than ask what they felt the issue was, hoping to at least get another perspective, even if it was wrong, you shut them down completely and claimed you did indeed know what you were talking about. You absolutely cannot do that if you want to grow and improve, no matter how right you know you are. Even wrong opinions are worth hearing if they give you a better idea what a potential reader might think.

No, I don’t think I can help you. If you don’t think you can grow, there’s no point in trying, because you’ll never let yourself. If you can find the strength to align yourself better with true humility, if God will give you that strength, please hit me up again and I’ll be overjoyed to help how I can.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.