fb

Table of Contents on my Google Doc…Help Please!

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Table of Contents on my Google Doc…Help Please!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@jane-maree  @daeus-lamb  @kb-writer  @anyone-else-who-might-know

Does anyone know how to use the settings for the table of contents on Google Docs? I managed to create it on the left side there, but it is not putting the correct chapter titles in for each chapter, and I do not know how to change it.

You are more than welcome to check out the Doc if that helps, but I need to know how to fix this before I send the first 5 chapters to some various people within the next few days. So…if anyone is Google-Doc-smarter than me with this issue, help me out!

Thx again! 🙂

Assistant Guildmaster of the Phantom Awesome Meraki
    ~ Created to create ~

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@selah-chelyah Sounds like the problem you are having is resulting from not having the titles formatted as headings. Do you know what I’m talking about?

All text is registered under a “style” in Google Docs. The text styled as a “Heading,” whether it be “Heading 1” or “Heading 2” etc., will cause it to appear differently on the Table of Contents.

I took a couple screenshots to explain…

After that your text should appear in the table of contents! Keep in mind though, that the table of contents doesn’t automatically update. You have to push the refresh button that appears when you hover your mouse over it:

One more note: Changing the selected text to a heading can change it to a font you don’t want. So instead you can edit the font/color of the heading. Here’s how:

See how after that, all the text followed the new style? (Blue Georgia.)

I hope that explanation was helpful! Let me know if you have any other questions or need some clarification. (:

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@evelyn

Wow, thank you! I will try this and let you know how it goes here… 😀

~ Created to create ~

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@selah-chelyah Okie. (:

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@evelyn

Okay, I think I figured it out. Thx for your help! I will keep playing with it until I have it like I want it, too. Thx! 🙂

~ Created to create ~

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@selah-chelyah Awesome! And I would be glad to help if you ever have any other questions about Google Docs. Just let me know! 🙂

Jane Maree
    @jane-maree

Looks like Evelyn’s got you covered on this one! 😉

Writing Heroes ♦ Writing Hope // janemareeauthor.com.au

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@evelyn

Thank you so much! You are awesome! 😀

@jane-maree

I think I would have to agree entirely! 😛

~ Created to create ~

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@evelyn

Okay, so (imagine this!) I have a problem. 🙂

I am doing exactly as you said to above, but whenever I change the font of the title or “heading 1”, it changes the font on my entire document! Is there a way to not have that happen?

~ Created to create ~

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@selah-chelyah No problem. 🙂

To clarify, you are changing the font preferences like I showed in the last screenshot?

Evelyn
    @evelyn

*second to last. Not last. 😛

Selah CJW
    @selah-chelyah

@evelyn

Yes, I am doing it the same way!

If you want to email me so we can respond quicker, that is great with me as well. If you want to, my email is needleworksbyselah@gmail.com

Thx so much for your help! 😀

~ Created to create ~

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@selah-chelyah It’s okay, I think I can figure it out here. Or least I’ll try. ;P

Give me a second and I’ll be back with an explanation….

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@selah-chelyah Never mind, since I took a video I’ll have to email it to you. 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.