Stuck in the Repeat

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Stuck in the Repeat

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Sink
    @sarah-inkdragon

@kayla-skywriter

Endurance is awesome, if you don’t mind getting your butt kicked by a bunch of 60 year old ladies on their “slightly chubby” but still ridiculously fast Arabs. XD (Seriously though, those ladies are hardcore.)

Arabs are nice. I’m not really into the Egyptian Arabs, they’re too small to be of much use in the sport world(Or at least feel too big to ride them rigorously.). Sport-bred Arabs(Russian, CMK, Crabbet, or Polish bred) are amazing though. They’re so hardy and very fast. My favorite Russian stallion is called “Naalo”. 🙂 He’s amazing.

I’ve also never been into QH/Paints. XD I’m not a fan of their build – to front-heavy in my opinion to get much done, and too much poor breeding that’s not worth scouring through to find a decently put-together horse. (But then again, that’s what super-specialized breeding does to animals…). Running-bred QH are nice…. TB’s are nicer in my opinion. 😉 I like my lean and lanky horses with speed.

Oh, if you want to do tell. 🙂 I don’t mind a long story.

*vader vibes*

Katthewriter
    @katthewriter

@sarah-inkdragon @kayla-skywriter

You both relize you just told me my first and only herd I’ve worked with and love are all too lame and not good for anything right?? XD

Its three quarter horses,  a super old thoroughbred, and an Arabian paint cross.  And they are amazing, thank you very much.  xP I’ve mostly just worked with 2 of the quarter horses.  Buddy, abused in his past, so shy and hard for you to get him to trust you,  but the sweetest thing when he does.  And Beau, still a quarter horse but alot taller than Buddy, like huge. I’m 5″11 and i still either stand on the side of the golf cart to get on him with a bareback pad, or use steps for normal,  cuz he’s so insanly tall. His trot is sooo smooth. Buddy’s is terrible xD but that’s not his fault, he has a slightly deformed leg.

So i think you both are a bit classier than me, while I’m even more down to earth with the horses. Rope halters. No bit. Perferably one reign riding. But usually trying liberty, with the reign there just in case.  Maybe some passenger seat. Or carrot stick riding.

Last time i went i was gonna brush the horses with the hour and a half i had.  First 35 minutes was getting Mr. Wilson to focus on me,  and catch me instead on getting discracted, then i brushed him for awhile.  Last 45 was getting Buddy to come to me. Was it a waiste of time? To some who planned on doing this and that,  probably.  But for me it wasn’t.  All the communication that went from me to each horse in that feild was amazing. They all knew what i was saying. And i them.  I want to gentle the horses. Whether they are a ‘too deep chested’ quarter horse, with deformed legs, or the big one who likes to test you,  or a high class arabian, i will care for them. Every horse deserves love, and to be cared for.

Katthewriter
    @katthewriter

@sarah-inkdragon

Poor breeding? ? You know the Arabian helped make the American Quarter Horse right?  And my favorite, the Appaloosa. Quarter horses are all different. Beau is way larger, heftier, and taller than Buddy.

Katthewriter
    @katthewriter

@sarah-inkdragon

I’ve read his whole book and watched the videos many times.

DeepRun
    @deeprun

@katthewriter

They were in no way insulting your herd.  It was basic commentary on how quarter horse breeders have bred to create an animal that is reaching the limits of being functional.  No withers, no place to put a saddle, etc. A generic comment like that reflects where the majority of animals have come from, not their worth nor value.  Yours are wonderful.  Especially because you do care for them.  My favorite horse ever was a mutt with a head vastly bigger than his body.  His heart outshone all that.

@sarah-inkdragon

@kayla-skywriter

Alright. I give. I’ve been trying to resist posting so I can diligent about other things but Endurance…. I’ve always wanted to try it and that is ridiculously cool you all have done it!  I prefer Morgan’s and the like as well.  Also, have you ever seen any Icelandics doing endurance?  I imagine the whole field is dominated by Arabs but I was wondering if the tolt would be competitive.  ( @sarah-inkdragon  Your description of the other endurance ladies with chubby Arabs had my laughing out loud).

As I get older (and bounce less when I hit the dirt) I like the idea of something closer to the ground, like an Icelandic. I appreciate the sleek beauty of the long and lean but the round, short legged ones have stolen my heart.

You do not have a soul. You have a body.
    You are a soul. - C.S. Lewis

Katthewriter
    @katthewriter

@deeprun i had ‘xD’ laughibg faces to show i was just teasing.

Un they do have withers …?? And Beau was so big he had to have a specually made saddle for support (his back is almost 6 feet) He’s a beautiful dapple grey. But a bit over middle aged so he’s more grey with spots of darker grey now. And Buddy has just a normal western saddle. He’s a bay, with cute white markens.

Whats wrong is saying all of them are like that.  Cuz they’re not.  And they’re not all untalented. Beau was used for dressage by her daughter in shows. And back then with the brighter darker dapple grey markings, he was gorgeous. Like its wrong if i say all Arabians a better compainons, or nicer, or more eager to please.  Cuz they’re not.  Some horses or left brained, some are more right brained. Some horses are extravorts (Like Beau and Mr. Wilson) and some are introverts (Luke (while alone, but out in the feild he’s herd leader) and some are just a little bit inbetween (Nancy-the super old thoroughbred. She likes to remember he racing days)

I get what your saying but not all of it is true. All quarter horses are bred a little bit different. Here in TX i see them all over.  As i can tell with Buddy and Beau, Beau is half a foot taller, and way thicker, and bigger, but still a quarter horse. (He also has a super velvety nose, which is the cutest! <3)

When i get a horse i don’t care if he’s as classy as the others.  I just want a good companion.

I’m just saying this from my veuw as everything vertu simple very liberty, talk with body language, and too me the horses are gorgeous. Their about to lose their fluffy winter coats (and you’ll actually see that Mr. Wilson is  a paint!  Right now his thick fur covers it up xD) and get all pretty and sleek. Buddy with that dark brown black color looks beautiful all sleek. And Luke’s color that’s the same as my hair. He just shines like the sun. 😀

*sniffles* I’m gonna miss my herd when i move 🙁

Katthewriter
    @katthewriter

@deeprun

Im sorry if any of that came out rude, but I’m used to people dashing anything i think against the wall.

Obviously we live in two very different horse worlds so see very different about this.

Katthewriter
    @katthewriter

@kayla-skywriter

Its okay.  Are you sure you don’t want to see the 150 word Yuri snippet?  Its super short xD. It’s okay! Don’t worry about it.

I was going to write a kind of black beauty style book in Mr. Wilsons pov, with everything he went through in his past.

Sink
    @sarah-inkdragon

@katthewriter

Haha, I wouldn’t really call myself classy. I just have preferences on horse build for equine sports, since I compete in them – the most functional build is the build that does the sport the best, and as it turns out the typical QH build isn’t the best for the sports I like. 🙂 Sport horses like WB, Sport-bred TB, or Sport-bred Arabs are simply more athletic. I have nothing against a functionally built QH, but the fact is is that they’re hard to find anymore.

It has to do with anatomy, and how the anatomical bone structure effects a horse’s movement and athletic ability. QH have quite honestly been bred for super-specialized disciplines that in a wide range of areas, they lack overall functionality and the ability to compete in that wide area of disciplines and do it in a pain-free manner for the horse. The horse’s best interest should always come first, but unfortunately in the show world, which many horses are bred for and especially QH, that doesn’t always happen because ribbons/cash is more important.

Taking it on from a functional standpoint, I simply prefer breeds that are generally built in a manner that makes it easier for them to lighten the forehand and carry themselves naturally under saddle. This reduces impact on the joints of the spine, legs, neck, and shoulders immensely, and so forth reduces wear and tear on the horse’s body overall. They are able to stay sound, happy, and competitive longer as well as able to compete better than the poorly-built horse. Take dressage, for example – any horse can do dressage. It’s basic fundamentals of knowing how to communicate with the horse and move his body around, nothing more. Any functional animal can excel at dressage – and yet we see only a small amount of horses actually making it to the top levels. Therefore, we can infer that those horses that didn’t make it must have some intrinsic flaw in structure somewhere that’s been passed on through poor breeding practices that were allowed for profit. Change one small aspect – the length of a femur, the closeness of the elbow to the rib cage, the angle of the pedal bone – and you change the whole of the horse’s movement and ability to complete a task and complete it not just adequately, but excellently. 

If you made it through the jargon(I’m highly fascinated by bio-mechanics.), the take home point is this – the functional animal is the best animal to me, as a competitor. Personality and relationship are wonderful things, but for safety’s sake and  fairness’ sake to the horse, it’s simply not good to ask a non-functional horse to try and complete a difficult task, because it could greatly injure the horse. The more flaw to the natural order, the more chance of injuring the animal. I take great risks to avoid doing so – so naturally, I prefer to ride a functional horse. Form to function – conformation is what most people call it. 😉 (And, just on a side note so I’m not misunderstood, because I have a bad habit of only half-explaining things on paper and leaving the rest in my head – I’m not trying to argue with you. I’m just explaining why I said that and what my logic behind saying it was.)

As for the Arabian helping to make the QH – yes, that’s true. But it was so far back that that blood(beyond the obsession with tiny faces) has been nearly wiped out with the addition of a thicker and heavier build. You’ll note, some of the most successful and sound QH look more like thick TB’s than QH – Reys Dual Badger is my all-time favorite cutting stallion, because while he looks like a QH, he carries the lightness and correct build as well. Compared to horses like Metallic Cat, who is ridiculously sickle hocked and very downhill built, he’s miles better.

Appaloosa’s are very nice, when they’re true Appaloosas and not QH with appaloosa coloring. The true Appy is a very fast, well built breed that rivals Arabs in endurance. 🙂

@deeprun

Icelandics are actually very popular in endurance anymore. That tolt is fast, efficient, and smooth the ride. I’d definitely try one out if you can. 🙂 My own mare is a grade Arab X who’s only about 14.3hh, and my secondary mount is a Welsh/Peruvian Paso that’s only about 13hh. Short is great as long as they have the gaits for it. 🙂 I know many people on small, 13-14hh Arabs that can dominate the field. Taller horses are becoming pretty popular though simply for longer stride.

*vader vibes*

Sink
    @sarah-inkdragon

Just for fun, here’s a picture of my very…. *cough* fluffy mare.

*vader vibes*

Kayla Skywriter
    @kayla-skywriter

@sarah-inkdragon

Yeah, I’d never expect to win. But, the thought of getting to spend so long in the saddle *sighs* even as my town girl muscles scream at the thought I get so happy just thinking about it. And don’t worry about the jargon, you have no idea how wonderful it is to not be the one throwing those words out.

Your mare is pretty, I like her.

@katthewriter

Wow, Texas. Does everyone ride western down there, or is it evenly spit between English and Western? I’ve always wondered, cause where I live no one rides English at all.

Sorry about the snippet, I really don’t have the time. And, I most likely have less experience than you anyway.

@deeprun

You have no idea how my heart jumped when you said Icelandics. I love those little fluffy beasts. I was so thrilled when I got to ride one for the first time. Gaited horses are awesome. As I can get my own horse every gaited horse I ride is a great thrill. So far I’ve tolted, foxtrotted, and ridden a running walk.

And now my bit on Quarter horses, cause it seems to be the thing.

I do like quarter horses, and I see soooooo many here. I do like them, I kind of have to because as I don’t have my own horse I have to ride someone else’s and they all have quarter horses. But, that being said I tend to prefer warmblood/thoroughbred type horses, not really sure why. But, to quote the great Irene “…” actually I don’t know what she said. It was something about ponies and preferences *wanders off in the corner to attempt to remember*

Also I love draft horses and driving. The woman who lets me ride her horses has a team of Norwegian Fjords. Their names are Karl and Johannes, but we just call the second Joey.

How we chose to fight is just as important as what we fight for

Kayla Skywriter
    @kayla-skywriter

@sarah-inkdragon

Before I tell my long story here’s some background. I’m currently fifteen, but this all started around five years ago when I was ten. Well, actually it started when I was eight and a half, or seven. We’ll go with nine.

So I was nine and had just moved to a new town, about three hours away from the town I’d lived in most of my life. My Dad’s a pastor and he’d gotten a call, so we moved. I’d been very into 4-H since I was really ( I’m talking like five years or less) young, and so when we moved we very quickly joined the club in our new county. We were at one meeting when one of the leaders announced that there would be a meeting for the start of a new horse club where the members didn’t need a horse and could rent a pony of their very own for a dollar . (sounds crazy I know) And so my wonderful mother, who I can’t ever thank enough gave into a little girls pleas and took me to the meeting.

It wasn’t at all what we expected. There was no renting of ponies, and the woman running it was old, and very disorganized. But we stuck with it. I helped found the Mustang 4-h club, and am now the only remaining original member. And I think the only other person who was at that first meeting who is still around is my mom.

So we were a club, around five kids at the biggest meeting. We gained and lost kids like crazy, over half had horses anyway. And those who didn’t have a horse learned to ride on Irene’s (that is the name of that old, disorganized woman who I love so much) two ponies. It was rough, I almost gave up.

Okay, here’s the story of me and Micah. *deeply inhales*

So I’d been having a particularly hard time in the club because I’d been in it for around a year and I still hadn’t ridden without someone holding on, and there was one experience where the pony I was riding reared because a ride at the fair spooked him. The ponies bit me all the time and I was so shy and the leader kept contradicting herself so I was just terrified all the time.

Then something wonderful happened. I was assigned to give a demonstration on how to groom a horse, and I didn’t have a horse. But my wonderful mom had been talking to another woman who said I could come over and she’d teach me with her horse. So I went and I probably spoke about five words while I was there, but after I couldn’t shut up about it. I loved everything about it. She had five horses and she taught me things I could remember.

After the demonstration the woman invited me out again to brush out the horse when she started shedding. The horse was a thirty-two year old Arabian mare named Beta. She had Cushing’s and barely had any teeth, but I loved her to death. And after we got as much hair as we could out K (that’s what I’m gonna call the owner) put me on her back and taught me how to ride. I rode without someone leading for the first time that day. I was so happy, but how much can you ask of an ancient mare?

One day I was called out again with another girl who had just joined the club. She had more experience than I did, but we were the only two without horses at that point so we were put together. At first I was riding Beta, but then I think K and the vet were looking at her, I’m not sure. Anyway Irene had pulled up with a trailer, and unloaded two paint geldings. (there had been talk about bringing two horses up for the summer that Irene was watching for a friend, but I hadn’t believed it)

Irene had the other girl (S) and I get on. I rode the chestnut tobiano first and S took the bay tobiano. We both tried each that night, and then at the end we were asked which we like better. There was no discussion. I like my first and she liked hers. So that’s how I met Micah, and S found Patrick.

Micah was my own horse for the summer. He stayed at K’s which was only five miles out of town so I got to see him at least twice a week. That horse had so many problems. He walked with a limp (but at any other speed he was perfect), was incredibly skinny, and as we learned that summer was deaf. He had horrible manners, though not with me, and was really picked on by the other horses. Irene didn’t think he’d ever amount to anything. She couldn’t even get him to trot or move for more than ten minutes. But I loved him with every bone in my tiny ten year old body.

Together we proved everyone wrong. I learned to lope on Micah, and I took him on a twelve mile trail ride. We learned to do trail class and I even rode him bareback at a lope despite how very prominent his spine was. He didn’t like anyone else either, a boy tried to ride him once and though he didn’t do anything his ears were pinned back the entire time.

That was the greatest summer of my life.

And then August came to an end. Micah and his brother had to return to their owner who lived several states away. Micah was never ridden by him, only Patrick. The night before they went home we painted their hooves, I only threw that glittery purple hoof polish away a few months ago. I couldn’t sleep that night. I wanted to, but I couldn’t. I was there when they took him too. I was there at five, they were supposed to be there at five thirty. They didn’t come till seven, but we waited. It was dark as I watched them take my best friend down the road. I didn’t even cry. I held on to the promise that he’d be back the next summer.

I was so little, I actually would run to the end of the side walk and look south every morning half expecting to see him running back to me.

A few months later Irene lost her job, ( I can’t go into details, but let’s just say that if it had been up to her she wouldn’t have resigned). Without Irene there would be no Micah. That’s when I cried.

It’s been five years now. I haven’t heard from Irene for at least two years. I don’t even know where she is anymore. Every time anyone asked what I wanted, I always said to go see Micah.

I actually was within five minutes of him last year. I tried to arrange a visit, but we couldn’t contact his owner.

So there you have it. *wipes away tears* (I told you it was long)

How we chose to fight is just as important as what we fight for

Sink
    @sarah-inkdragon

@kayla-skywriter

Aww, that’s sad. Micah sounds like a nice horse. 🙂 I hope you’re able to get a hold of Irene and his owner someday!

*vader vibes*

Chelsea R.H.
    @seekjustice

<p style=”text-align: left;”>@katthewriter @kayla-skywriter @sarah-inkdragon</p>
    Sorry to interrupt this wonderful conversation but the best horse in the world is the Waler. No doubt about it 😛

Anyway, loving this convo, I’ll leave now 😀

Mahalo keia huiʻana

DeepRun
    @deeprun

@kayla-skywriter

Have you ever thought about turning that into a short story? What you just wrote? I enjoyed reading it.  I’ve also found writing can bring healing and closure.

I am sorry you had that experience.    Horses seem to attract unstable people.  Pun intended.

Some day, some magical day I’ll get to tolt… That’s also wickedly awesome about the Norwegian Fjords as well.  I’ve a soft spot for Scandinavian breeds.

@sarah-inkdragon

Thank you for explaining that so well (and I learned a lot as well).  I enjoyed every jargony bit of that!  Form makes such a huge impact on function and bravo for caring about that! Especially using horses competitively.   The leg length makes a lot of sense.

You do not have a soul. You have a body.
    You are a soul. - C.S. Lewis

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest