Strength in Numbers

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Strength in Numbers

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@michael-erasmus Oof, yeah, that sounds like a hard situation! However, I know there are a few writers on here from Australia and New Zealand. . . don’t know that they’re super close to your time zone, either, but maybe they’re better?? Maybe you guys would want to do some kind of writing group? Wish I could remember who specifically was from there. . . @daeus-lamb you wouldn’t happen to know, would you?

Also, don’t be afraid to jump into writing critiques! It can help to see what kinds of things others have to say in their suggestions, but honestly, when I critique, I mostly just go through, see what sounds good, and make notes on how it could be better just from the experience I have. I don’t think you can really go wrong per se with critiques. I view them as more suggestions: “This sentence might be phrased a little better this way,” or “You may want to consider giving more background for this character.” Things like that.

@hope-mcclellan I totally get you! I try to be pretty private online myself. (Hence the made-up username.) I believe the only thing you need is your email; however, if you’d rather not have that out there for everyone on the internet to see, I’m all right with sharing my g-mail one here (it’s not my main one, as I only got it so I could join the hangout 😛 ). It’s naiyadyani(at)gmail.com. If you feel comfortable, you can feel free to send me an email, and I can figure out how to get you on the group without having to put your email out there publicly.

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

DeepRun
      @deeprun

@michael-erasmus  @naiya-dyani  Isn’t the guild leader of Meeraki from Australia?  I can’t remember. Someone in there is.

@hope-mcclellan

I got goosebumps seeing you had goosebumps.  I take that as a tremendous compliment! Now I’m wondering what I wrote…

I also understand the need and desire for anonymity.  If it’s any help, within our group, I’ve shared absolutely zero personal information. Other than I’m a bit of nutbar and do art.  The only thing you need is a google email and a rudimentary knowledge of how to navigate google docs.

You do not have a soul. You have a body.
      You are a soul. - C.S. Lewis

Abigail Rebekah
      @abigail-rebekah

@naiya-dyani

I’m from NZ btw…except I wouldn’t be able to do a writing group at the moment xD

I think @banana-peacock-warrior is from Australia, and also @august-grace.

Are ya’ll kinda like beta-reading each others work?

~ Laugh. Drink Coffee. Smile. And Write ~

Naiya Dyani
        @naiya-dyani

@abigail-rebekah Yep, kind of detailed beta-reading and critique.

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Abigail Rebekah
          @abigail-rebekah

@naiya-dyani

Do you mind if I join the group as I have a short story I’m enlisting beta readers for 😉

I’ve already had two people from on here do it, and their feedback was super helpful.

No worries if not, tho 🙂

Naiya Dyani
            @naiya-dyani

@Abigail-Rebekah Well, we’re actually trying to keep the group itself small–6 members tops at a time–but I’d love to beta-read it myself, if you’d like! 😀

Abigail Rebekah
              @abigail-rebekah

@naiya-dyani

Ok, that’s totally fine xD

Oooh, yes please 🙂 I’d love to have you beta read it, if you don’t mind 😉

Naiya Dyani
                @naiya-dyani

@Abigail-Rebekah Cool! Do you have it on a google doc or something? I don’t have time to read it at the moment (gotta go to bed; time zones XD) but as soon as I’m able I’d love to read it! 😉

Abigail Rebekah
                  @abigail-rebekah

@naiya-dyani

Yes, I do…I’ve just public messaged you on your profile with the link xD

Oh yeah…I know about time zones lol 😉

Aw, thanks heaps 🙂

Naiya Dyani
                    @naiya-dyani

@Abigail-Rebekah Oop, I don’t think I’ve done public messages before. XP I’ll find it!

Sure thing! 😀

Abigail Rebekah
                      @abigail-rebekah

@naiya-dyani

Oh sorry xD

It should notify you, hopefully lol

Naiya Dyani
                        @naiya-dyani

@Abigail-Rebekah Found it and requested access for when I find time! 😉

Abigail Rebekah
                          @abigail-rebekah

@naiya-dyani

Perfect, thanks 🙂

Michael Erasmus
                            @michael-erasmus

@naiya-dyani @deeprun Australia’s time zone is 9 hours ahead of mine, while New Zealand’s is 11 hours ahead. What would work is Western European time zones. For example, UK is only 2 hours behind.

Alternatively (and perhaps this would be better) I should look for critique partners/groups that don’t have sessions but rather pass a piece around for each person to work through at their own time, or something like that.

Thanks for the advice though!

DeepRun
                              @deeprun

@michael-erasmus

Well… I feel mortally ashamed of my  geography skills. The lack thereof. Further reinforcing the stereotype of an ignorant resident of North America.  Sorry about that!

I think you’re right and a group you could share with would be a better fit. If you post that need, I am sure people will respond.

You do not have a soul. You have a body.
                              You are a soul. - C.S. Lewis

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest