fb

Storytelling/Grammar Question

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Storytelling/Grammar Question

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anna Marie
    @annamarieoriginal

Hello, everyone!

I have a sentence in a short story I need to revise. Are the semicolons/hyphens/commas correct for this type of sentence?

“Natalie met all of my cousins: Fredrick- an intelligent, laid-back college student; Ellen- a quiet but likable bookworm; and Chris- an active, blond-headed 15-year year old who was tossing a football in the yard.

From a story-telling piont of view, are the side character intros too rushed, considering only Chris is important here? I would especially love to hear @mariposa, @josiah, and @scribbles!

~Anna Marie
    "Write the book you want to read." -Austin Kleon

Josiah DeGraaf
    @josiah

Hyphens are incorrect. You want to use em dashes here (in most word processors, two hyphens in a row will auto-convert into an em dash). Either that or just replace the hyphens with commas. I would probably replace the semi-colons with commas as well, unless you end up replacing the hyphens with commas.

These are very brief introductions, but I can’t tell without knowing the rest of the story whether they’re too rushed or not. If the characters aren’t terribly important, this is fine.

Lit fanatic. Eclectic reader. Theology nerd. Writing fantasy at https://josiahdegraaf.com

Anna Marie
    @annamarieoriginal

Thank you for your help, @josiah! I appreciate your response πŸ˜ƒ

~Anna Marie

Mariposa Aristeo
    @mariposa

@annamarieoriginal I would recommend using commas over em dashes and keeping the semicolons. Too many em dashes can be distracting to readers.

Besides that, it seems like there’s a little too much telling here. For instance, instead of saying how Ellen is a quiet but likeable bookworm, you could mention how she was sitting silently by a tree, reading, etc. πŸ™‚

I think dinosaurs are cooler than dragons. πŸ¦–

Anna Marie
    @annamarieoriginal

Thanks for the advice, @mariposa!

~Anna Marie

Rachel Rogers
    @scribbles

@annamarieoriginal So here’s what I was taught about semicolons: think of them as “super commas.”

They’re used to blend independent sentences when they seem too choppy separately but not distinct enough with a comma and conjunction.

They’re also used to delineate a list of lists, which is what your sentence is. So, similar to what @mariposa said, I would swap out the dashes for commas and keep the semicolons, like this:

Natalie met all of my cousins: Fredrick, an intelligent, laid-back college student; Ellen, a quiet but likable bookworm; and Chris, an active, blond-headed 15-year year old who was tossing a football in the yard.

I also agree that it might be more effective to use actions to describe the cousins, like you do with Chris. πŸ™‚

Ambiverted INFP. Scribbles all the words. Names the plant friends. Secretly Edna the Piguirrel.

Anna Marie
    @annamarieoriginal

Thanks, @scribbles! That makes sense.

~Anna Marie

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.