Story I kinda wanna publish?

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Story I kinda wanna publish?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Livi Ryddle 5 days, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

(There’s probably a forum out there somewhere where I should’ve put this, but I couldn’t find one.)

I have a short story that’s either completely finished, or I need to just make a few minor edits to. I’ve been told it very closely resembles Monsters Inc.. I’ve never seen Monsters Inc., so it’s entirely coincidence, but nobody has any way to prove that. So! I think what I made this thread for is y’all’s input. I’d like to know these things in particular:

How should I get around the fact that it resembles Monsters Inc.? Will I have copyright issues?

Are there any major plot holes?

And what would you like to read more about in sequels? Is there a specific character you’d like to know more about? A particular event that was mentioned in passing? I have a few things in mind already, but I’d like y’all’s ideas 🙂

(Now, one thing I would like to not delve into greatly is how I would go about the actual publishing process. I have a friend I’ve been talking to about that. If you have something to mention, like a particular place not to use, or something like that, that’s cool, but I want to focus on the story mainly.)

I put it in a Google doc. Here ’tis:   https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v89iFdp9nnqkLyuHSs67DAJAdz9OUNWKp4bcrjPD9ds/edit?usp=sharing

Tagging a few people! If there’s somebody else you think of, please tag ’em!

@evelyn @jane-maree (hopefully I got the tag right) @eden-anderson (probably spelled that wrong)

"..and when you get the chance.. to sit it out or dance.. I hope you dance.."

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

@anne_the_noob14

Aww, it’s so good!! ❤❤ I really like it. And yes, it is SO similar to Monsters Inc. Its crazy to believe you’ve never seen it! I really can’t help you with copyright or anything like that, but it’s a really cool story. 🙂 Great job!

How we walk with the broken speaks louder than how we sit with the great. -Bill Bennot

Buddy J.
    @wordsmith

@anne_the_noob14,

GO, LIVI! GO, LIVI!

-Wordsmith- Author of short stories, Reader of many books, Student in writing, and Lumenite!

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@bama-rose Thank you so much! I had a great time writing it 😀 And yes! I’ve seen like little snippets of it in advertisements and stuff, but literally the extent of my knowledge is that there’s a little girl named Bo (?) and there’s like a green monster and a blue one and a purple one? And that it’s really similar to my story XD

@wordsmith  *blinks, startled* Why thank you. Thank you for the enthusiasm. XD

Alabama Rose
    @bama-rose

@anne_the_noob

Wow, that’s crazy!! Well, it’s a really good story and I hope you get to publish it somehow!❤

How we walk with the broken speaks louder than how we sit with the great. -Bill Bennot

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@bama-rose 😀 Thanks!! <3

Zachary Holbrook
    @toklaham-veruzia

@anne_the_noob14

I love this story! One improvement that could be made is on the first page which leans pretty heavily on ‘telling’. If you wanted to keep this, establish in the first paragraph that Carlisle is recounting a story that she’s already lived through. Perhaps imply that she’s writing it for Zoe, which explains why she spends so much time revealing information that would be common knowledge to her fellow monsters.

As for copyright… Pixar does not have exclusive ownership of all stories that elaborate on the ‘monster under the bed’ trope. You won’t get into legal trouble, although you may get criticism for your story’s premise not being original. I still really enjoyed it, so I don’t think that’s a big deal.

おはいよう. 日本語は好きです .

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@toklaham-veruzia

Thank you so much!

One improvement that could be made is on the first page which leans pretty heavily on ‘telling’. If you wanted to keep this, establish in the first paragraph that Carlisle is recounting a story that she’s already lived through. Perhaps imply that she’s writing it for Zoe, which explains why she spends so much time revealing information that would be common knowledge to her fellow monsters. As for copyright… Pixar does not have exclusive ownership of all stories that elaborate on the ‘monster under the bed’ trope. You won’t get into legal trouble, although you may get criticism for your story’s premise not being original. I still really enjoyed it, so I don’t think that’s a big deal.

(Carlisle is a guy actually. I feel like the name suits males better than females. *shrugs*)

*nods* That’s actually why he’s writing it. In a sequel I have planned, he tells readers that he and Zoe remained friends after Zoe grew up, and she asked him to write it up for people to read. I hadn’t thought about that though. (The fact that there’s too much telling if he’s writing it just for other MUBs)

Ok cool. That’s one of the things I always worry about when I’m writing. I’m always worried I’ll have people suing me for taking so-and-so’s idea XD

What does your forum signature say? If you don’t mind my asking.

Zachary Holbrook
    @toklaham-veruzia

@anne_the_noob14 It translates to ‘Good morning. I like Japanese’, which is a little bit outdated since I haven’t practiced my Japanese in months.

おはいよう. 日本語は好きです .

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@anne-the-noob14 Great story! You definitely had me curious about why they couldn’t scare her. (Zarak is a jerk, by the way. Intentional spoiling is a crime meriting utmost punishment.)

@toklaham-veruzia Hey, another Japanese learner! What do you use to learn it? I’m just starting out with Duolingo and Wanikani.

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Livi Ryddle
      @anne_the_noob14

@naiya-dyani Thank you! (UGH I KNOW, RIGHT??! I wrote the guy and I’m annoyed at him… 😛 )

@toklaham-veruzia Ah, ok. Cool. Lol! I know the feeling… Duolingo Owl is aggravated at me. I haven’t practiced Italian, Spanish, or whatever the other language is I was trying to learn in months…. :/

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest