Story-Go-Round

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Story-Go-Round

This topic contains 120 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  S.F. Dekreel 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 121 total)
  • Author

Introverted Elf
    @introverted-elf

LOL, #StillIn. XD

Tolkien/Batson book lover, anime fangirl, TLoZ, SW, SC fan, Stirlingite, Owl Citizen, Team Grimmie \|/

Introverted Elf
      @introverted-elf

Also, @lin, totally unrelated, but I LOVE your profile pic! 😀  I absolutely LOVE rabbits so much; they’re the cutest things! <3

Tolkien/Batson book lover, anime fangirl, TLoZ, SW, SC fan, Stirlingite, Owl Citizen, Team Grimmie \|/

EricaWordsmith
        @ericawordsmith

O.K. Everybody, if we have the #Stillin folks, who’s next?? We need to keep this going. 😉

Tek an ohta! Tek an cala!

Bama Rose
          @bama-rose

@ericawordsmith

I agree! Although I’m not sure who’s next..

How we walk with the broken speaks louder than how we sit with the great. -Bill Bennot

EricaWordsmith
          @ericawordsmith

@Stillinpeople

*Stands on a chair and yells loudly*

IF YOU ARE NEXT OR THINK YOU’RE NEXT PLEASE GO OR SHOULD WE JUST START A NEW ROUND (MEANING START OVER AT THE BEGINNING OF THE LIST)?

That would be @emgc

Random question… Does anybody like Requiem Mass in D minor?

E. Grace
            @emgc

@ericawordsmith

@mgtask passed, so @dekreel is up next. 🙂

(Also, yes, I love that song!)

"God whispers in our pleasures, but shouts in our pain." - C. S. Lewis

EricaWordsmith
            @ericawordsmith

@emgc

O.K. Great!!

For some reason the music from that reminds me of this story… I love that music…

E. Grace
              @emgc

@ericawordsmith

*is listening to it right now*  Really?  Hmm… I guess I can kinda see that…

Btw, I love your new profile picture (I think it’s new?).  You look very nice. 🙂

Lin
              @lin

@introverted-elf thank you!

“I've loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.”

S.F. Dekreel
              @dekreel

@emgc  Uh?! Okay, time to catch up on my reading again. . . .

Who’s after me, by the way?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  S.F. Dekreel.

ENFP-T. Cartoonist, "half-writer", wolfish.
              Blog

S.F. Dekreel
              @dekreel

Never mind, I figured it out. I think.

Adelaide looked away from David. “Ainsley?”

The girl David had met in the meadow got out of her seat without hesitation and faced him. She looked as though she was about to recite an essay to a class. She opened her mouth, took a breath and spoke in an emotionless voice:

“A stranger shall appear in prosp’rous times of joy for all,
              “Then Nature turn Her back and trees and homes abruptly fall
              “The stranger shall provide with gifts all those who dare receive,
              “But Nature’s mighty grip ensure the stranger never leave
              “So only with the stranger’s presence Nature shall refrain
              “From sweeping ‘way the world we know, leaving eternal pain”

@emgc  I believe it’s your turn if I’m not mistaken. Sorry it’s so short — this poem took forever to write.

Blog

E. Grace
              @emgc

@dekreel Nice poem!  That must have taken a lot of thought. 🙂

However… I don’t think I’m going to have enough time to do this right now, I’m sorry.  So… I guess it passes to you, @ericawordsmith 🙂

EricaWordsmith
              @ericawordsmith

Hi everybody, I am not skipping my turn, but I have to put it off until Saturday because of camping/deadline so I WILL get to it, it’s not going to be dead in the water. 😉 Just thought I’d give the heads up that I’m stretching the deadline slightly…

Loved the poem @dekreel !!!

S.F. Dekreel
                @dekreel

@emgc  @ericawordsmith  Thank ya!

Blog

EricaWordsmith
                @ericawordsmith

So sorry everybody, this week is going berserk, so I didn’t have time to get to the story until now. *Facepalm*

O.K. Here we go!

David stared at Ainsley for a long moment trying to understand what the strange and eerie words of the poem might mean. Adelaide’s deep, haunting eyes were grim.

“There is music to this poem. It is a song, long unheard in it’s true melody for many years.” She said quietly.

“Why not? What could steal a melody, or why shouldn’t it be sung in the first place?” David asked, wondering at the lifeless tone in which Ainsley had spoken the words.

“Because those who sing it are punished. Some more severely than others.” Adelaide said quietly. Ainsley’s eyes dropped to the ground, and her spirit seemed suddenly quenched.

“Have you not seen her hands?” Adelaide said in a whisper. David looked once more at Ainsley’s misshapen and marred hands. They looked as if someone had put them to the fire and burned them beyond healing.

“If it hadn’t been for Her, I would have lost them altogether,” said, turning her grateful eyes toward Adelaide.

“Music has power, David, and some songs more than others. For either good or ill, when melody is made in this world, it changes the very air we breathe. The song that Ainsley once sung has been banished from the realm for the power that it carries. For singing it, she was punished, and would have been tortured further had I not rescued her.”

“But why would you sing a song, what would make you do such a foolish thing?” David asked. Ainsley stepped back as if David had struck her a blow. Adelaide’s eyes flashed like grey embers behind her mask.

“She sung the song so that a stranger might come to us, and for years she has wondered if the singing was in vain.” Then Adelaide’s eyes lost their sparkle of anger. “Now we know that it has worked, and that the power is real. You’ve come to us at last, David, and with you the beginning of hope that has all but died.” David couldn’t move with the shock of Adelaide’s words. Him? Called to a strange world by a child who risked her life and endured flame to summon him? His head spun and his heart pounded. But why him? Why would he be here and not some other stranger from his own world? Or was this all a mistake, and in the mistake, the fragile hopes that this child and maiden had lived on would be shattered?

Suddenly Adelaide’s eyes widened and she stared behind David, her pale face growing white as the moon with fear. Ainsley screamed loud enough to pierce the ears of anyone within a mile, and David felt something cold enclosing around her neck, something like a hand of flesh, but altogether void of the warmth of blood and life-

And something with claws sharpe enough to break the skin on his throat.

O.K. Whoever is next, I think that would be @thewirelessblade.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Learn What Readers Want

We compiled and analyzed how 300+ readers answered 18 questions about what they want to see in fiction. Get the free e-book and we'll also regularly send you resources to help you grow as a writer.

Signup Source

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest