Spontaneous Word Wars (for slow writers)

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Spontaneous Word Wars (for slow writers)

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 542 total)
  • Author
    Hope McClellan
    @hope-mcclellan

@naiya-dyani

(sorry, I got called aside to help with making dinner)

I got 257. πŸ™‚ Way to go!!

The way I outline right now is something I learned from a writing course a few years back. I was a pantser until that point, and I was never able to finish a story. Using that outline was how I finished my first manuscript. (Which was a little under 10k words)

Basically it is this

Setting — Where? Who?(characters) What happens?(here I write a synopsis of anything leading up to where it “goes wrong”)

Conflict — (synopsis of what goes wrong and how they handle it)

Resolution —Β (synopsis of how they resolve the issue) THE END

WAY too simplistic. To make my current WIP, I basically have an overarching plotline that my characters are travelling the country trying to collect the pages of this book, and I made a bunch of sub-plotlines of the trials they encounter trying to get those pages. The individual “plotlines” are great, but as a whole the story is dragging. Reading through Structuring Your Novel, I am learningΒ so much good stuff, but now I’m looking for a way to apply it.

"Write the vision, and make it plain on tablets, that he may run who reads it."
      Habakkuk 2:2

Naiya Dyani
      @naiya-dyani

@hope-mcclellan Good luck! That can be difficult, but I know you can do it! πŸ˜€ Will pray for you! πŸ˜‰

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Hope McClellan
        @hope-mcclellan

@naiya-dyani

Thank you so much! That means a lot. 😊

Livi Ryddle
          @anne_the_noob14

@naiya-dyani Will do! Thank you! πŸ™‚

@hope-mcclellan πŸ˜€

I shall join in the conversation!

I have absolutely NO motivation to write. Ever. (Mostly.) I really want and need to… but like… I dunno how?? I like Hope’s idea of treating yourself, but the problem there is that I, being 15, don’t have a way to get myself into town, which would be the only way I could “treat” myself since I have free range of the pantry at home all the time XD

(Also, congrats on meeting that word goal!!)

Word wars are always EXCEEDINGLY helpful for me, but the thing is… I have to first be motivated to actually write. After I get the motivation to write, actually writing isn’t a huge problem. Whenever I sit down at the computer, I always find myself doing my Spanish practice, hopping on a couple friends’ word docs to do a bit of critiquing, listening to music on YouTube… And never doing anything more than opening my doc XD I really need to get over this. I didn’t used to have this problem. Literally, I would spend hours upon hours at the computer, typing away, but now it’s just like… eh. I need to write. Whatever.

Suggestions?? Ideas?? Anything?? This is becoming especially bad because for months,- ever since… November ended I guess- I haven’t gotten much writing in to speak of at all. And I have a short story that I need to write before too much longer, and I haven’t gotten past the first paragraph.

"Hey. Spit that out."
          *ignores him and swallows frog*
          _____
          "This is the way."

Livi Ryddle
          @anne_the_noob14

@naiya-dyaniΒ @hope-mcclellan

Also, have you guys seen The Hobbit?

"Hey. Spit that out."
          _____
          "This is the way."

Livi Ryddle
          @anne_the_noob14

@naiya-dyani (Also, I’m looking at your profile picture, and how long is your hair?? Like, is all that your braid?? πŸ˜€ It’s bEAUTIFUL)

"Hey. Spit that out."
          _____
          "This is the way."

Hope McClellan
          @hope-mcclellan

@anne_the_noob14

I have read the Hobbit, but I have never seen the movies.

Hmm, that is a hard question to answer. And you may not like this, but motivation is different person to person. And situation to situation, too. For me, my motivation to write has come from a desire to not forget a story I’ve come up with, or because I loved the characters and I couldn’t stand to see them go into my pile of “unfinished projects”, or I did it out of love for the story. I think this is a big thing. You have to love your story, and enjoy it. If you’re having toΒ make yourself, and force yourself to write it, then maybe it’s not worth it. That’s probably not the case here, but overall that’s something to remember. You have the freedom to put something aside for awhile and come back to it.

And also, writing is an act of worship. Even when we’re not writing something that’s directly speaking about God, as long as it’s clean stuff we’re writing, simply doing what He has given us the gift to do is an act of worship on our part. When we enjoy using our God-given talents, that is worship.

So all this is kind of rambling, but I hope I’m getting some sort of a point across. Ignore the deep INFJ stuff if you like. XD As for pure ideas, I sort of combine two things I read. Treating yourself, and marking on a calendar what days you’ve met your goal. A comedian did that; he had a goal to write a new joke every day, and every day he met that goal he would color in that space on the calendar. After awhile he didn’t want to break the chain. I have a specific writing calendar. When I meet so many days in a row, I give myself a treat. And for you, you could buy that treat when you’re at the grocery store, or whoever gets the groceries, and don’t allow yourself to eat it or have it until you meet your goal. A treat could be anything: food, a book, a new shirt you’ve been looking at, etc.

Most of my motivation comes out of a love for my story. I want to see it grow.

Another idea: don’tΒ let yourself critique that word doc, answer a trivial email, even listen to youtube, until you have met a certain word goal. You can even tell yourself that you’re not allowed to do anything on the computer until you write. You can include this forum in that list, with the exception of word wars.

Those are just a few ideas, and I hope they were at least a little bit helpful. πŸ™‚ Best of writing to you! May the words ever be in your favor!

Naiya Dyani
            @naiya-dyani

(sorry will get to responding to these things when I get a sec to overthink before posting)

@hope-mcclellan @anne_the_noob14 @anyone-else-online-right-now

Anyone available for a word war? I have. . . 43 minutes to write. πŸ˜›

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Livi Ryddle
              @anne_the_noob14

@hope-mcclellan *nods* That’s very helpful! Thank you!

@naiya-dyani

Ok so… My granny passed away this morning. I was asleep, but apparently my aunt (who was staying with her at the nursing home) called us at 12:30 this morning and said that they were taking her to the ER because they think she had a perforated bowel (I think is what it was). So my dad went in, and came back at some point probably around 2. Then my aunt called again at 3:30 and said she needed daddy and granddaddy to come back into town. They couldn’t operate because granny wouldn’t have been able to take the anesthetic. So everybody kinda knew what was coming then. She passed away around 6:30. Thank you both for your prayers, and please continue to pray for us. Specifically my dad, uncle, and two aunts, and granddaddy. We’re all doing ok, and it’s not like this was a huge surprise or anything. <3

And I’m just kinda drowning myself in music and poetry (Edgar Allen Poe) and writing.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Livi Ryddle.

"Hey. Spit that out."
              _____
              "This is the way."

Livi Ryddle
              @anne_the_noob14

@naiya-dyani I would be up for one! I think I have my outlining to the point that I can write a couple more chapters.

"Hey. Spit that out."
              _____
              "This is the way."

Naiya Dyani
              @naiya-dyani

@anne_the_noob14

I’m so sorry. I understand the feeling of it not being a surprise; it was sort of like that with my great-grandfather. Still, it’s difficult in a different way. I’ll definitely be praying for all of you. <3

Naiya Dyani
                @naiya-dyani

@anne_the_noob14 Okay! πŸ™‚ Would you like to go for 20 at :55?

Livi Ryddle
                  @anne_the_noob14

@naiya-dyani *nods* Thank you πŸ™‚

Sure!

"Hey. Spit that out."
                  _____
                  "This is the way."

Naiya Dyani
                  @naiya-dyani

@anne_the_noob14 *shrug* I’ve been kinda slow lately. 279 words.

Livi Ryddle
                    @anne_the_noob14

@naiya-dyani I had to pause and have lunch, but I got 442. Hey, some words are better than no words! I just now told myself the same thing. Usually I’d be able to get that many in ten minutes, but it’s more than I’ve written all year (literally), so I’ll take it!! πŸ˜€ I can go again after I do dishes, if you’ll still be around.

"Hey. Spit that out."
                    _____
                    "This is the way."

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 542 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest