Spontaneous Word Wars (for slow writers)

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Spontaneous Word Wars (for slow writers)

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 567 total)
  • Author
    Hope McClellan
    @hope-mcclellan

@naiya-dyani

Still here? I might be able to do a short one.

"Write the vision, and make it plain on tablets, that he may run who reads it."
      Habakkuk 2:2

Naiya Dyani
      @naiya-dyani

@hope-mcclellan Yup! Does. . . 15 minutes at :00 sound good?

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Hope McClellan
        @hope-mcclellan

@naiya-dyani

Let’s go for it! I’m in the car and we’re close to our destination, but I’ll pause my timer if I can’t do 15 all at once.

Naiya Dyani
          @naiya-dyani

@hope-mcclellan Sounds good!

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Naiya Dyani
            @naiya-dyani

@hope-mcclellan Okay, not all of this counts since I copied (and very slightly altered) a piece from my first draft, but I got 385 words this round. Minus that piece, I had . . . only 177 XD. I’ll blame it on my brother lol

Livi Ryddle
              @anne_the_noob14

@hope-mcclellan @naiya-dyani Thank y’all! I am feeling better today, though after watching Battle of the Five Armies last night, that’s slightly debatable… (I will save it until I know if you two have seen The Hobbit, so I don’t spoil it lol, but I have a huge, poetic rant I can give)

Naiya, which grandma lol? I forget which one I told you about. My granny has the broken femur, my grandma had a broken arm. Granny’s doing… better? It’s complicated. Basically, she was moved from the hospital to a nursing home, and she was doing ok, and then she was having some gas cramps and asked for some medicine to help that, and four hours later, she still didn’t have any. So the fam was like “nuh-uh, not happening” and moved her to a different nursing home. That’s the VERY abridged version… But that’s kinda where we are.

Grandma is doing a lot better, doing her PT and all, and is nearly back to normal. Mama is also doing better, getting over a cold. And granddaddy has pneumonia, so that’s fun…

"Hey. Spit that out."
              *ignores him and swallows frog*
              _____
              "This is the way."

Hope McClellan
              @hope-mcclellan

@naiya-dyani

Okay, so I FINALLY finished 15 minutes. All in all, with distractions and pauses, I got 186 words, so…. we both won, I guess? 😂

@anne_the_noob14

Oh goodness, you have a lot going on! I’ll be praying for you guys.

Livi Ryddle
                @anne_the_noob14

@hope-mcclellan

I really do lol. Thank you! <3

"Hey. Spit that out."
                *ignores him and swallows frog*
                _____
                "This is the way."

Naiya Dyani
                @naiya-dyani

@anne_the_noob14 Oh, boy! Send my love and get-well-soons to all your family members! Including you lol 😉

@hope-mcclellan Hey, all that matters is we got something down, right? XD

Hope McClellan
                  @hope-mcclellan

@anne_the_noob14    Absolutely!! I am always willing to lift up a prayer.

@naiya-dyani Yep! Some words is better than no words! And you helped me reach my daily word goal, which means I have met my goal eight days in a row–Monday to a Monday!! I have had that goal since I started marking my writing back last July, and this is the second time I have made it eight days in a row! The last time I did it was earlier this month, which I rewarded myself with cheetos. 😋 I’m going to get ice cream this time.

Just curious, do you guys do anything to motivate yourselves to meet writing goals? And Naiya, I’ve been meaning to ask you, are you an outliner? If so, how do you outline?

Also, I am officially back home so I would love to go for another word war if you want. 🙂

Naiya Dyani
                    @naiya-dyani

@hope-mcclellan Hmm. . . I don’t really do a ton of external motivation for myself outside of NaNoWriMo. I really should with stories that my excitement doesn’t carry all the way past the first writing spree, though. 😛 Maybe if I did, I would have more stories survive to the second draft!

I am DEFINITELY a plotter/outliner! I don’t think I could possibly create a coherent or even attention-holding story using the pantser method. XD I usually start by daydreaming nonstop about a story idea (usually when I have other responsibilities) for a period that’s probably somewhere around a few months. I jot down my ideas in OneNote, saved to OneDrive, so I don’t lose them (even though I’m SURE I wouldn’t forget such a great idea as the one I just came up with. . . *sigh* I’ve learned.) Usually in my daydreaming I come up with a general plot thread and timeline that I follow when I actually start writing. How about you? You strike me as some sort of plotter. 🙂

Oh, and if you’re still around, another word war would be great!

Hope McClellan
                      @hope-mcclellan

@naiya-dyani

I left but now I’m back! Are you still good for a word war?

Naiya Dyani
                        @naiya-dyani

@hope-mcclellan *thumbs up* Yup! Does 20 at :25 sound good?

Hope McClellan
                          @hope-mcclellan

@naiya-dyani

Sounds great!

And I didn’t ignore your question about outlining; I’ll tell you after the word war. It’s not all that exciting. Idk if you saw the conversation I was having with Livi back on page…5 was it?…but I am looking for a new way of outlining that may better line up with K. M. Weiland’s ideas in her book Structuring Your Novel which I am reading through. My current way of outlining isn’t really working any more.

Naiya Dyani
                            @naiya-dyani

@hope-mcclellan 307 words! How about you?

Yeah, outlining can be. . . difficult. 😅 I’ve been trying to incorporate a thing I found on Kingdom Pen (I think it’s also in the SE Resource Library) for three-act outlines. It defines nine specific scenes or areas in the plot that help make for a well-structured format. I went through my story a while back and did my best to organize it by that.

You can find the whole explanation in the Library, but the nine scenes/areas are the Characteristic Moment, the Inciting Event, the Pushpoint, Test and Trials 1, Midpoint Shakeup, Test and Trials 2, the Lowpoint, the Climax, and the Resolution.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 567 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Pin It on Pinterest